Special Needs

New, and in need of advice

Hi ladies! I stumbled on this board via Yahoo and could really use some advice. My son, Greyson, is 16 months old and has some odd health issues. He was full term, but only because I got shots of turb twice a week from 20 weeks to 30 weeks. He has had 5 surgeries now, for several issues including tubes for sever hearing loss. 

He is now considered "hard of hearing" and has major speech delays. I'm trying to figure out how to go about getting hooked into some sign language classes. I'm not looking for "baby sign" or other such things, but real signing. Greyson can hear, technique, but what he hears is similar to when you're in another room and hear someone ask you a question. You can hear that someone has spoken to you, but can't understand... if that makes sense.

Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions? He does get PT, OT, Speech, and Feed therapies, so we're obviously working with his therapists as well. 

Thank you! 

Re: New, and in need of advice

• Hi, my son is hard of hearing, too.
    contact early steps in your State if he doesn't already get early intervention. You should be able to get services from a teacher of the deaf. Also, try a Facebook search for deaf groups in your area
  • Hi again,

I assume Greyson has an IFSP (Individualized Family Support Plan).  Contact your family care coordinator to hold a meeting to add deaf/hard of hearing services.

• Loading the player...
  • imagethefuturemrskudla:

Hi again,

I assume Greyson has an IFSP (Individualized Family Support Plan).  Contact your famil

• See if your state's school for the deaf is close enough for your son to get services. Most schools also have a parent program that includes ASL classes. Our son has mild moderate loss and he goes to our deaf school in the mornings. We love our school! <br
    WAY 2 Cool 4 School

• I wonder if there is a local organization that holds classes.  Where I live, there is the "Hearing, Speech and Deaf center of [City Name]."  My daughter has a trach and, as such, cannot talk.  So, when she was dismissed from the NICU,
               image      image      image
  • Thank you ladies! I Just got off the phone with our school for the deaf, and they are going to do sessions with him, and in-home sign lessons with our family. I am amazed at how helpful they were, and it turns out they're right down the street from us :D<
  • imageoboechick:
    Thank you ladies! I Just got off the phone with our school for the deaf, and they are going to do sessions with him
    WAY 2 Cool 4 School

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"