Babies: 6 - 9 Months

HELP!!! Trying to wean :(

I dont know what to do, I'm trying to wean my 9 month old from breastfeeding to formula. I dont want to stop BFing but my supply has never been that great. & for a while she was drinking 2-3 oz. every 3 hours. Well I decided to try formula at her daycare & the lady said she drank 5 ounces once, then 4!! I have tried & tried to keep the BFing going but its just not working anymore, shes too big & needs more to drink than what I can give her. But she will not take a bottle from me, everyone is out of town so I have noone to come over to feed her for me & it is breaking my heart hearing her screaming like this. She hasn't eaten in almost 7 hours. Right now I keep putting her in her crib with the bottle & walking out so she cant smell me but she just screams & screams. Any other suggestions or even just words of support would be very much appreciated.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: HELP!!! Trying to wean :(

• Try a sippy cup or other type of drinking apparatus. A lot of BF babies don't like the bottle since it's trying too hard to mimic Mom. Can you pump at all and add some BM to her formula for a little while to entice her to drink? Sorry you don't have anyon
    6 & 2 year old, 2 losses
  • My DD only likes taking a bottle from me. My babysitter can get her to take a bottle by putting her in the bouncy seat and feeding her from behind where she can't see her. I don't know if that will work, but it might worth a try. Good luck Mama!

• Loading the player...
  • I was having the same problem with supply, still am but we just give her a formula bottle after I nurse her before bed and she drinks 4oz, or if she seems hungrier during the day, always after I nurse her though. Can't you just nurse her? If she prefers y
  • My LC said let him latch and then break the latch and slide bottle nipple in 

<blockquote sty
  • Please, Pick up your baby and nurse her. You say you don't want to stop breast feeding, so don't.
    Do not take the fact that your LO ate 5 ounces of formula to mean that you are under feeding her. Does her dr think shes under weight? is she not havin
  • I agree with PPs.  Keep on nursing and offer a bottle after the breast if she still seems hungry.  Nursing provides more than nurtition, it is also comforting and right now it sounds like she needs you.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP#1 10 wk missed mc      

BFP#2 DS born at 40+2 on 8/14/12  BFP#3 DD Born at 39+3 on 5/13/14

• She doesn't seem quite ready to wean at such a quick pace. Try just supplementing with the formula instead of cutting out the nursing all together and switching to formula cold turkey. It sounds like she's going to respond better to a gradual change. A dw

• Did you ever nurse your baby?
  • Yes, I am still nursing, I just couldn't do it! I'm supplementing w/ formula at her daycare right now & nursing her as often as possible to try to increase my supply. She will take formula from the daycare but not a drop from home. I've tried to tr

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"