Baby Showers

Diaper Raffle poem ideas/sayings

I'm getting ready to send out my shower invitations and need ideas on how to word that there will be a diaper raffle. Any ideas or suggestions are welcomed.
image Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Diaper Raffle poem ideas/sayings

• Mine Said...

A pack of diapers for lil ole me would really help mommy and daddy to be. So please bring a pack other than newborn size and have a chance to win a nice prize.

My son is 6 months old and I have not had to buy diapers yet and more than likely wont for another month or two.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickersimageimageimage
  • imagebekah22587@hotmail.com:

Mine Said...

A pack of diapers for lil ole me would really help mommy and daddy to be. So please bring a pack other than newborn size and have a chance to win a nice prize.

My son is 6 months old and I have not had to buy diapers yet and more than likely wont for another month or two.

Please do not use this poem.  Not only are you asking people to bring diapers in addition to their gift, now you are telling them not to buy newborn size.  I would totally not be bringing diapers to this shower if I had been invited...because it just doesn't seem like anything would be appreciated.  I don't have any ideas for you...other than don't do it!

Stephanie Hsu
  • Loading the player...
  • i love both of those poems! we did a diaper raffle and got tons. and we gave out 25 dollar gas giftcards. we were planning on giving one but got so many diapers it only seemed fair to give another so i sent my mom out to get more. It was great and i had a lot of ppl who loved the idea.its not greedy, thats why its a raffle. you can choose to partake. i think youll have a great turnout
  • Thank you ladies! The reason why I am asking is because my MIL is pretty much throwing the shower with very very little help from my mom, so with that being said that is why I'm helping. I've only taken on a one or two items for the shower, the rest is falling on my MIL.  My DH found a saying that is short, sweet and simple and to the point. it goes like this " Please bring a pack of diapers, any brand or size, to be entered into a raffle for a really great prize!" Hope this helps and again Thank you for your ideas.
    image Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • To add a little extra glee
    And help the parents-to-be,
    Please bring a little extra
    From the heart.
    An unwrapped pack of diapers (any size),
    To give them a good start!

Diapers get expensive
    With no real ?end? in sight
    It?s a necessary item
    (That usually comes in white)
    We?d like to ask our guests
    To bring a box or two
    So we can raffle them off
    When the shower?s through!

Babies may need pampers
    But mom?s have their needs too
    That's why we thought some pampering
    Would be such fun for you
    So please include a new box
    Of diapers when you come
    Then we will raffle them off
    When the shower?s done!

Babies need clean diapers
    When they do their dootie
    That?s why we give them pampers
    To wear on their batootie
    But if you bring your own box
    We can then pamper you
    Because we plan to raffle them
    When the shower?s through!

Please bring along a pack of diapers, unwrapped will do.
    For each pack you bring there?s a raffle ticket for you.
    Baskets for the winners filled with goodies galore
    A good time for all is what we have in store

We're having a diaper raffle to help the parents-to-be!
    If you bring a pack of unwrapped diapers it will fill them with glee.
    For each pack you bring, there's a ticket for you,
    to win a great gift or two!

If you wish to bring a pack of diapers it will fill them with glee.
    to win yourself a great gift or two!

If you wish to bring a pack it will fill them with glee.
    to win yourself a great gift or two!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • yaba10yaba10 member
    I have been to a lot of baby showers and almost all of them were having a Diaper Raffle.  Some people entered some didn't.  It was never a big deal. You aren't forcing people to bring diapers.  It's your choice to enter or not.  
  • yaba10yaba10 member

Tacky?  How is this tacky?  It's called a diaper raffle.  It's your choice to enter or not. You want a prize enter, if your strapped for cash or heck you just dont want to enter then don't.  As I mentioned to the lady right above your comment I have been to a lot...A LOT of baby showers lately and they all had a diaper raffle going.  

I think you are making a way bigger deal out of it then it is.  Have you ever to been to a charity event?  They want you to donate plus they usually have raffles where you buy a ticket and enter to win a prize. 

Not a big deal. 

• imagedanilynn17:

imageyaba10:
    Have you ever to been to a charity event?  They want you to donate plus they usually have raffles where you buy a ticket and enter to win a prize.

A shower is not a charity event.

I have never seen a diaper raffle in real life, thank god.  It is tacky and rude to expect guests to bring an additional gift.  Also consider than most guests have a budget in mind - so if guest was planning on buying you a $30 present, if they participate in the raffle they'd likely only spend $20 on the present and $10 on the diapers.

If you want diapers, register for them.

I agree with this.

The fact that you are comparing the shower to a charity event tells me you don't get it at all. Totally tacky.

• imagedanilynn17:

imageyaba10:
    Have you ever to been to a charity event?  They want you to donate plus they usually have raffles where you buy a ticket and enter to win a prize.

I have never seen a diaper raffle in real life, thank god.  It is tacky and rude to expect guests to bring an additional gift.  Also consider than most guests have a budget in mind - so if guest was planning on buying you a $30 present, if they participate in the raffle they'd likely only spend $20 on the present and $10 on the diapers.

Agreed! I also don't see how diaper raffles are 'fun.' I mean c'mon... Even if the prize is really, really good- only one or two people get it.

• imageemilydholmes1:
    imagedanilynn17:

imageyaba10:

I agree with this.

The fact that you are comparing the shower to a charity event tells me you don't get it at all. Totally tacky.

Yes

• Totally disagree with the team tacky! I've been to many showers that have had diaper raffles and I never thought it was tacky, nor did I hear anyone else complain or appear uncomfortable.  Most people happily brought MORE than one box, and the hostess had always planned accordingly and had an ample amount of very nice prizes.  I think if the wording is done properly so that guests don't feel olbliged to bring diapers against their will, there is nothing wrong with it. 

It's also a great way to get a variety of brands by seeing what your friends and family like- they'll bring you what they've found to be "tried and true" and you get to sample many kinds. 
  • Rossi17Rossi17 member
    imagedanilynn17:

imageyaba10:

Not tacky at all. It's a trend (just like asking people to bring children's books instead of cards). Technically, the baby shower IS a "charity" event, it's to give the parents to be the things they need for the baby. Most people would think giving diapers as a gift is tacky (and registering for diapers is SUPER TACKY), but a diaper raffle is a fun way that gives people incentive to bring them if they so choose. So, if you don't agree to having a diaper raffle, then I hope you enjoy spending $2,000-plus in the first year, just on diapers.
  • imageRossi17:

So, if you don't agree to having a diaper raffle, then I hope you enjoy spending $2,000-plus in the first year, just on diapers.

$2000/12 = $166.67

What the H3LL kind of diapers are you buying that you're spending $166.67 a month!?!?!

The absolute most I've ever spent per month on diapers is $50-$75, and I'm rounding WAY up for arguments sake.

Also, if you can't afford diapers, you need more than a shower for help.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Again with diaper costs:

From https://www.babycenter.com/baby-cost-calculator
    disposable diapers: $72 per month

From https://www.surebaby.com/prenatal/baby-expenses/
    If you plan to use disposable diapers, plan on spending between $1,600 and $2,300 by the time your baby is potty-trained.

From https://www.realdiaperassociation.org/diaperfacts.php
    Disposables. For these calculations, let's assume that a family needs about 60 diapers a week. In the San Francisco Bay area, disposable diapers cost roughly 23? per store-brand diaper and 28? for name-brand. This averages to 25.5? per diaper. Thus the average child will cost about $1,600 to diaper for two years in disposable diapers, or about $66 a month9.

It looks like your $2000+ is for the entire time a child is in diapers.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagediscobelle:

I was wondering where the $2,000 came from, too.

The most I've spent on diapers is $63 in one month.  

Seriously. Maybe the first month or two I spent more (no where near what was quoted), but not now. DD is 15 months old.  For the past few months, we've been using maybe 1 big box of diapers a month.  My next order from Amazon Mom/Subscribe and Save is Pampers Baby Dry Size 4 176 count.  Delivered to my door for $27.24.  Less than dinner out at a cheaper family-type restaurant for my husband and I. 

Wipes are $12.94 for a 720 count box of Pampers Soft Care wipes. One of those will last me at least 2, if not 3 months.

/thread hijack

• My family and friends are throwing me a baby shower in Sept and there will be a diaper raffle. I didn't want it to seem greedy or pushy...which  I feel sometimes they can come off as... so I wrote a poem I'm hoping to convince them to use that stresses its not a necessary thing.....

I'm a sweet little girl who will look good in a dress,                                                          but that doesn't mean I can't make a big mess!                                                                If you want to help out my mommy and daddy-to-be,                                                 bring along an unwrapped pack of diapers size 1, 2 or 3.                                             It's an optional game, please don't feel obliged;                                                              but for every pack you could win a great prize!

You could substitue "for me" in place of "size 1, 2 or 3" if that doesn't matter to you but we already have a lot of nb diapers given to us and they grow out of them so fast!

• Wow- there are some catty comments in this thread!  It's too bad that we can't kindly share our experiences and thoughts with one another.

And incidentally, a shower itself could be considered tacky if you really want to think about it.  An entire party where you the sole purpose is for guests to "shower" you with gifts?  So geez, add a diaper raffle.  What the hell's the big deal?  At least you're offering some prizes in return.  And hey- no one is obligated to participate.  

• It's a great idea, meant to be fun...not an obligation.  We did it at my shower and it helped so much.  My MIL threw the shower and got really nice prizes from Bath and Body Works.  We got to try all different brands to see what we liked best and we quite literally had baby's butt diapered throughout the first year.  That's just because our family is large and both sides know a ton of people.  I recommend it to anyone and have seen it now at almost every shower I've attended.

You don't want to bring them?  That's great too.  No one batted an eye either way.  You got a ticket when you left them at the diaper table and they drew names.

I don't think it's tacky though.  People understand a shower is an event to shower you with gifts.  That's the premise.  When I get invited to a shower, I'll do whatever I can do within my means to help a sister out.

• MelleTXMelleTX member

The "nobody has to participate if they don't want to" argument is one of the worst I have ever heard. Followed closely by "no one at my shower thought it was tacky".

I give up. Sometimes, you just can't teach class and manners. Either you get it or you don't. 

Poems don't make it classy!

Unless they are Ballsox poems, but that's a whole different class altogether.  

Single Mother by Choice. Life didn't work out the way I planned so I did it on my own. IUI #s 1-3, unmedicated = BFN, IUI #s 4-6, 50mg Clomid, Ovidrel = BFN IVF #1: 23R, 20M, 17F. 5 day transfer 2 blasts. 2 Snowbabies BFP 6dp5dt, Beta #1 7dp5dt = 58, Beta #2 9dp5dt = 114, Beta #3 10dp5dt = 187 1st Ultrasound = 5/3, not much to see yet. 2nd Ultrasound = 5/17, TWINS!!! Hospital Bed Rest at 32 weeks due to pre-ecclampsia and severe edema. Audrey Grace, 5lbs9oz, & Lydia Louise, 6lbs, born via emergency c-section on 12/6/12 at 36w1d My IVF Journey
  • imageBallSox:

Well, your shower hostess should know better than to do something so tacky so why are you asking? 

"Cute" Poems =/= pass to be tacky

But if you insist... here's one I wrote for a hostess asking that question awhile back..

I know you're already buying a lot,but diapers for poo, those she has not.So when you're out shopping and buying her stuff,  toss some diapers in, she can't have enough.My friend doesn't know, I'm being so crassso bring lots of diapers, to cover that as$!If you buy what I order, if you spend lots more cashYou'll win a some cheap soap, here's to no rash! Don't worry though, you don't *have* to partake

I'll just judge you, while I'm serving you cake. 

That might be the single best thing I've ever seen written on The Bump...or maybe even the internet.  

• meltoidmeltoid member
    imageScout2005:

Aside from the fact that your math is way off, it's YOUR JOB to spend whatever it takes to diaper your kid. And feed them. And entertain them.

If you are relying on a diaper raffle to get you through, you probably shouldn't be having a baby. 

No one said its the job of friends and family to clothe and feed, baby.  That is quite a leap you are taking. If you are so mean and judgmental to your friends, saying that if they have to rely on a Diaper Raffle to get them through, they shouldnt be having a baby... then maybe you shouldnt be their friend.  Maybe just dont go to the shower of people who you think are tacky.  They probably only want friends who understand that showers are supposed to be a celebration and something helpful for the parents.  Its a happy occasion. 

And for people having diaper raffles, its just another fun thing to join in.  As someone who doesnt have kids, I like to help out those who are having kids, or those having a wedding, or any occasion that someone is about to embark on a journey that will be costly.   So dont worry about it being tacky just stress that it is optional. Have fun, its your shower, and its our life.  Trust those in your circle, not people from the internet.

• BallSoxBallSox member
    imageScout2005:
    imagemeltoid:
    imageScout2005:

Aside from the fact that your math is way off, it's YOUR JOB to spend whatever it takes to diaper your kid. And feed them. And entertain them.

If you are relying on a diaper raffle to get you through, you probably shouldn't be having a baby. 

No one said its the job of friends and family to clothe and feed, baby.  That is quite a leap you are taking. If you are so mean and judgmental to your friends, saying that if they have to rely on a Diaper Raffle to get them through, they shouldnt be having a baby... then maybe you shouldnt be their friend.  Maybe just dont go to the shower of people who you think are tacky.  They probably only want friends who understand that showers are supposed to be a celebration and something helpful for the parents.  Its a happy occasion. 

None of my friends are tacky enough to have a Diaper Raffle in the the first place.

So non-issue. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Little Man (4 years old---holy cow)
    He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • BallSoxBallSox member
    imageScout2005:

Is it wrong that I find Patrick Stewart incredibly sexy?

He can make it so at my house any time. 

As long as he's not asking you to bring diapers or a book, that is? 

He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • BallSoxBallSox member
    imageScout2005:

Oh man. The ultimate quandary. 

Because tacky. But also, British accent and fierce baldness. 

If he wrote a poem to ask people to do that stuff, it'd make it ok. 

• I love your poem!  hahah too funny!  I agree....can't get myself to allow my sister to do a diaper raffle for me!  Your guests are already bringing a gift...i don't feel it's right to ask for more.

• I thought this was absolutely hysterical.  :) 
  • Bring a pack of Pampers any shape or size, to be entered into a raffle for a great prize.

• imageSmileyGirl18:

Just out of curiosity, when are you due?  Your badge says Spring Baby and it would be REALLY early to send out invites at this point.

:whispers:  The OP date is Feb of 2011.  If you'd look under her spring baby badge, you'd see a ticker with a baby over a year old. 

• It's not meant to be fun.  It's to help out the mom-to-be and give everyone a chance to win a prize without playing a cheesy game!
  • You're not "asking" them to..it's optional.
  • imagemsnide01:
    It's not meant to be fun.  It's to help out the mom-to-be and give everyone a chance to win a prize without playing a cheesy game!

The quote feature is your friend.  

Now, to address your post I quoted:  Why would you do something at your shower knowing your guests won't have fun?  Oh and btw, it may not be a "game" but it sure as hell is cheesy.  It's just a cheesy fundraising technique.  

• imageSmileyGirl18:
    imageBallSox:
    imageSmileyGirl18:

Just out of curiosity, when are you due?  Your badge says Spring Baby and it would be REALLY early to send out invites at this point.

:whispers:  The OP date is Feb of 2011.  If you'd look under her spring baby badge, you'd see a ticker with a baby over a year old. 

Thanks.  I saw the tickers but assumed she was pregnant again.  I didn't look at the date of the OP.  How did a post that was almost a year and half old come back up again?  I am all about reading old posts, but props to the bumpie that found it. 

My guess is she googled for diaper raffle poems and found it.  

• I landed on this website to get some ideas for the diaper raffle. I cannot believe all the bitter, nasty responses from obviously unhappy women. Get a life!!!!

By the way, I have plenty of money to buy my own diapers, but would rather get them as gifts (as opposed to cute baby clothes my child will hardly have a chance to wear).

Your negative responses are class-less and rude.

• imagenz0721:

I landed on this website to get some ideas for the diaper raffle. I cannot believe all the bitter, nasty responses from obviously unhappy women. Get a life!!!!

By the way, I have plenty of money to buy my own diapers, but would rather get them as gifts (as opposed to cute baby clothes my child will hardly have a chance to wear).

Your negative responses are class-less and rude.

But you know, telling people that they aren't smart enough to spend their money on you the right way is totes polite. 

• imageNew_MrsP:
    Again with diaper costs:
    From https://www.babycenter.com/babycostcalculatordisposable diapers: 72nbsp;per month
    From https://www.surebaby.com/prenatal/babyexpenses/If you plan to use disposable diapers, plan on spending between 1,600 and 2,300 by the time your baby is pottytrained.
    From https://www.realdiaperassociation.org/diaperfacts.phpDisposables. For these calculations, let's assume that a family needs about 60 diapers a week. In the San Francisco Bay area, disposable diapers cost roughly 23 per storebrand diaper and 28 for namebrand. This averages to 25.5 per diaper. Thus the average child will cost about 1,600 to diaper for two years in disposable diapers, or about 66 a month9.
    It looks like your 2000 is for the entire time a child is in diapers.

Misread comment. TB wouldn't let me delete.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"