Working Moms
Options

DCP has guns in the house

Would you feel okay with your child's DCP having locked guns in the house?

My friend's DCP's husband is like gun enthusiast. He is able to carry them in his car, in the house. They are locked. I told her I wouldn't be comfortable. She told me that her parent's house also have guns hidden so she doesn't seem to mind. 

Would that be a deal breaker for you?

(This is not to start a gun debate-- just if you feel comfortable in your provider's home)

ETA: Do you think this is something they should disclose during an interview? 

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Re: DCP has guns in the house

• Options
    You said he carries... Are the guns locked at all times, away from the kids? Locked guns away from the kids wouldn't bug me.

image image
  • Options

That would be a dealbreaker for me.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

If they were kept secure and I had no doubt that my children had zero access to them, I would be okay with it.  

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageRondackHiker:
    You said he carries... Are the guns locked at all times, away from the kids? Locked guns away from the kids woul
  • Options
    imagecchill01:

That would be a dealbreaker for me.

this 100% 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    If locked means in a gun safe or in a part of the house that is locked off from the daycare, then no problem. But, if locked just means on safe but loaded and in areas the kids could have access to, then no way.
  • Options

Just having guns in the home would not bother me per se, but I would assume I would be allowed to see where and how they are kept and the husband's CHL license.

Yes, it should be disclosed upfront.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

My parents have guns locked in the house for hunting. My step-dad is VERY careful and I trust him 100%. Heck, I never even knew where they were growing up (still don't), that's how hidden away they are.

I do not trust anyone else, and would no

• Options
    It would NOT be a deal breaker for DH and I, provided guns were not "hidden", but were actually locked in a safe.
    As far as disclosure goes, it's probably a good idea because some parents do have strong feelings and should be able to decide for thei
    Loving Life being Brett's Mama! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    no, I would not be comfortable with this.
    "Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies. God damn it, you've got to be kind." - Kurt Vonnegut
  • Options
    imageSuburbsMrs:

#1 question- are they in a gun safe locked

#2 question- what kind of gun safe (open by combination, open by

BabyFetus Ticker; Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Definate deal breaker for me.

• Options
    kmplskmpls member
    Deal breaker for me too.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Honestly, I don't feel comfortable with what you posted.  Why do the guns need to be carried between the car and the house?  And why is your friend comfortable with "hidden" guns?  That sounds like an unsafe mentality, like they are very

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I would be fine with it as long as they are absolutely locked away. We have two guns in the house, both in safes. Neither are loaded. No one would ever know where they are exept DH and I. I guess NC is kind of a gun-friendly state. Most people

• Options
    MKDeeMKDee member
    imageEstwd2:
    imageJelliebean1982:</s
  • Options

If the guns were locked away in a gun safe 100% of the time like my dh's are then fine.

But some people are idiots 

• Options

I would have to know them really, really well. As in, if it was an in home DC, it was someone that I knew for a long time and started taking my kids there later on.

I wasn't comfortable with the in homes in my

• Options
    Yes. Deal breaker. FWIW I grew up with guns in the home, have fired guns, and know some basic gun safety. But I would never send my kid there.
    DS: 2/17/11          DD: 9/4/13
  • Options

I would be expecting that they are either %100 locked away out of sight in a proper gun safe OR that they be giving the kids a run-down on gun-safety. I grew up in a house with firearms and we learned at a very young age NOT to touch guns and bullets w

"What are you having?" "Well the radiologist says its a healthy little human baby. I'm a little disappointed, because I really wanted a puppy." LOL
  • Options
    imageCourtimilk:

I would be expecting that they are either %100 locked away out of sight in a proper gun safe OR that they be gi

• Options

No Gun debate here...first off.

I grew up with Guns in my house. I grew up going to the gun range with my father and my DD goes with him all the time. I currently only have one rifle in my house. However, we will be getting fire arms in the near

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    No way for me. And I definitely think it should be disclosed in the interview. I wouldn't be comfortable sending my child there.
  • Options
    LuvSDLuvSD member

imageMKDee:
    imageEstwd2:</str
    imageimageimage

• Options
    I have guns in my house so as long as I knew they were secured I wouldn't have an issue with it.  And no, I don't think it's something they should disclose during an interview but is something you should ask if it's an issue for you, same thing with

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

• Options
    imageLuvSD:

imageMKDee:</stro
  • Options
    MKDeeMKDee member
    imageiluvmylab:
    imageLuvSD:
  • Options
    imageMKDee:
    imageiluvmylab:</str
  • Options
    Yes, I think it should be disclosed during an interview, and yes, it would be a deal breaker for me. 
  • Options
    This would be a deal breaker. I wouldn't let my husband get a gun to keep in our house so I definitely wouldn't send my child to be looked after in a house keeping one. Maybe if I did live in a part of the country where guns are common I'd feel differentl
  • Options
    To all the people who insist guns in the house are a dealbreaker

What if DCP's husband was a police officer and brought home a department issued firearm?
  • Options

imagedallasbiglaw:
    To all the people who insist guns in the house are a dealbreaker What if DCP's husband was a police officer a
  • Options

The DCP is licensed.

I know our DCP is licensed and she is required to have everyone in the house to have a clean cori/sori. 

I believe that he has a lock box in his car. I have no idea why he carries them at all times, but he does.&n

• Options
    Our family is very anti-guns so that would DEFINITELY be a no from us.
  • Options

This would never be an issue for me because here in Chicago (very generally speaking) the only people who carry guns or have them at home are cops or gangbangers. 

So no I would never in one million years send my kids to a day care provider

• Options

I didn't have to read past the subject line-BIG NO for me.  My husband was a sniper in the US Army.  He knows how to use a gun and keep one safe. Even HE does not want a gun in our home.  My brother in law is a prison sargeant.  He

• Options

It would be a deal breaker for me. I don't want guns in our house, just because I don't see the need for one. As for a dcp, I don't care how they are stored, no one can guarantee they will always be locked a stored correctly. It is not a risk I would b

laying down the law on Oahu's North Shore

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I am not opposed to keeping guns in the house provided they are in a safe, etc, but you would need to convince me that there was no one is DCP's life who has access to them who is potentially violent or unstable, including her DH himself. That is a huge l
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagesemdkm:

I didn't have to read past the subject line-BIG NO for me.  My husband was a sniper in the US Army.  He know

• Options

My Parents and ILs have guns in their houses and I trust my child in their homes. However, I would not trust a DCP that had guns in their house.

However, there are lots of reasons why in home DCPs would not be an option for me and I think this i

\image  image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"