Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Bottles and Pacifiers

My LO is just about 2 weeks old. I am on maternity leave for 12 weeks so I will be with him till the 1st/2nd week of June. I am breastfeeding and it is going well. But when I return to work he will be going to a daycare, and I will be pumping and he will get a bottle (w/ breastmilk). My LC told me in the hospital (if I remember correctly) not to start pumping till he is 3 weeks old. Pedi told me Monday not to wait to much longer to try a bottle with him because sometimes, if you wait to long, LO might refuse a bottle and only eat from breast. This would be a huge problem. So my question for breastfeeding moms heading back to work at some point,
1-When did you start pumping?

2-How often do you have DH give LO a bottle?

3-When is the best time to pump?

Also, LC told me not to give LO a pacifer for 1st 3 weeks so it doesn't mess with breastfeeding. I'm not sure if I am going to be using a pacifer yet. LO likes to suck on his hand once in a while but he's not too fussy, and he doesn't use my breast as a pacifer. BUT pedi said a habit of hand sucking is harder to break because you can't get rid of a hand but you could throw away a pacifer.

What are your thoughts on that theory??

And how old was your LO when you gave them a pacifer??

I know a lot of questions, but I'm a FTM and have no experience with this and want to make good choices..

TIA

BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Bottles and Pacifiers

• mnj05mnj05 member
    I started pumping at two weeks. I'm a teacher and won't go back to work until August, I started so DH could help me feed at night.

DS was given a bottle in the hospital. We also have him a pacifier at 2 weeks. He has never had an issue with

imagePhotobucket

TTC #1 since 3/2011
    DX: anovulatory and severe MFI
    DH is a testicular cancer survivor
    IVF#1 w/ICSI lupron, gonal f, ovidrel
    ER 6/15/12 6R 6M 6F! ET 6/20/12
    Beta #1: 154 Beta #2: 509 Beta #3: 7326
    Baby Boy born 3/1/2013
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC#2: 6/2014 all testing came back normal

IVF#2 (#1 for LO#2) 9/2014 - 17R 10M 10F 4 blasts frozen on day 6.

FET #1 10/15/14 - Beta #1: 216  Beta #2: 823

Baby Boy born 7/10/2015

• DD has trouble latching on my right side (we're getting closer to having it worked out) so I've pumped that side a few times right from the beginning.  I've given her a bottle like 3 times just to use the few ounces I pumped.  I don't worry t

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Every baby is different. With DS1, he had a bottle on day 2 in the hospital due to low blood sugar (and I repeatedly passed out trying to feed him, so he wasn't nursing). I started pumping right away since he wasn't nursing, and when we got home and he

• I started pumping to build a freezer stash around 2-3 weeks and he had his first bottle at 4 weeks. My younger daughter had her first bottle at 6 weeks (my older daughter had issues nursing and I exclusively pumped for her). Both took bottles without a

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I gave my LO a pacifier from day one and she didn't have any nipple confusion. She's now 9 weeks and could take it or leave it.
    BabyName Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I started pumping at 5 days because he wasnt getting enough to eat just through the breast at first and honestly, I LOVE IT. At first I'd breastfeed them bottle feed him then pump and record it all and how many wets and poops he had. that's a ton of wo

Pregnancy Ticker Owner & Creator of www.GreatestKidsGames.com
  • I started pumping the day she was born in the hospital. She also was given a bottle either the day she was born or the day after. I think we gave a pacifier around 2 weeks. We have had no issues at all. I pump at the midnight and three am feeds while DH g
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I started pumping right away when I got home the hospital and DD took a bottle starting at about 2 weeks. We had no issues with going back and forth between bottle and breast and we gave her a bottle about every other day. She had a pacifier from day 1. E
    DD1: Maya 05/10
    DD2: Lucia (Lucy) 07/13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"