2nd Trimester

Got laid off at 17 weeks!

I got laid off last week. Now we have to change health insurances, which means starting over on a new deductible. And to qualify for unemployment, I have to look for a new job. Somehow I doubt anyone's going to want to hire some who will have to take off 4 or 5 months after being there.

Any bumpies out there with suggestions for navigating this mess?

Re: Got laid off at 17 weeks!

• I just wanted to say that I'm really sorry and hope that something works out.
  • Sorry you are going through this right now. I have been laid off before and I couldn't imagine dealing with it while pregnant.

Are you married? The reason I ask is because is it possible that you can go on your DH's insurance and just live off o

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Loading the player...
  • That is chitty. I am really sorry that happened to you.

Depending on what your hubby makes you might be able to get medicaid. I know it sucks, but it is something.

• I just started a new job last week but I didn't tell them I was pregnant. I'm so, so sorry you got laid off this week, that is really crappy and it's the WORST time to have it happen. Can you get on your DH's insurance temporarily maybe (if you're married
    Liliana Seraphina born 9/5/2103

• Thanks for your sympathies.

I am married, and we will be switching to my husband's insurance. It's just frustrating to have to start from square one on a new deductible. We're paying off student loans right now, so we need my income to make

• Ditto PP suggestions. In addition to Medicaid there are other state level programs that can cover baby and you (while you are pregnant). I don't know what state you are in but here in MD we have the Maryland Children's Health Program, which covers baby, m
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Well I help qualify people for medicaid at my current job now, what state do you live in? And for the most part, even if your husband makes over or even way over the FPL (federal poverty level) ,You have options for just the pregnancy to be covered. Us

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • imageCiamonae:
    Thanks for your sympathies. I am married, and we will be switching to my husband's insurance. It's just frustrating to ha
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageCiamonae:
    Thanks for your sympathies. I am married, and we will be switching to my husband's insurance. It's just frustrating to ha
    Eat your food people. You are pregnant, not made of glass. ~PrimRoseMama
    The Benes Boys were born 9/3/13! woooo
    imageimage
  • Are you sure what they did was even legal? Pregnancy is protected by the pregnancy disability act and unless the employer is doing a complete organization reorg and can show they were planning on terminating you before you were pregnant or that it had not
  • that sucks!
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • I am so sorry to hear this. :(

imageimage

imageimage

image  image

• Awe I am so sorry to hear this. I went through a similar situation when I was pregnant with my daughter, I was 6 months along. The company did a group layoff but of the group two of us were pregnant so I always thought that it was the reason why they
    BabyFetus TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker
  • First off, so sorry you are having to deal with this.  I had the same thing happen at 13 weeks and at first it was tough but 11 weeks later we are doing great and I am still able to collect unemployment.  I'm not sure where you are but in Tex

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'm in a similar boat. I was laid off at 8 weeks, at the end of January. I'm still collecting unemployment, and working a part time job. It's not fun, and I had the same doubts about being able to find a job while pregnant. I did finally have an interv

BFP #1 8/25/12 EDD 4/28/13 Blighted Ovum, D&C 9/20/12 at 8w6d. I'll always remember the first one. My baby Grace. BFP #2 12/26/12 EDD 9/4/13. DS born 9/7/13. My sweet rainbow.
  • I'm so sorry you are going through this right now.  I don't have any advice, just T&P.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm sorry about this. Can you apply for Cobra and keep your insurance? I would still just apply to unemployment. I don't think they follow you to make sure you applied for jobs and like you said, it is probably not going to be that easy to find one kno

TTC 1/2010 DH Dx - Azoospermia 2/2011
    Hysteroscopy 3/2011 2 Polyps removed 4/2011
    DH on Clomid / Arimidex to address hormonal issues - Sperm found July 2011!
    IVF #1 September 2011 - ER 9/8/2011- 8R, 5M - icsi - 1 made it to transfer - BFFN :-(
    IVF #2 Lucky November 2011 - ER 11/25/2011 - 15 eggs!, 13 mature, 10 fertilized with isci - 7 made it to transfer! Transferred 1 - 8 cell and 2 - 7 cell. BFP!!!!
    1st U/S - Twins! 2nd U/S - 3 heartbeats!!! - HOLY COW!!!
    Prayers for our take home babies!
    2 babies born on 3/27/12 and lost. Last baby born on 3/29/12 and lost at 20 weeks.
    My angels grew wings shortly after birth.
    Ahava Raisel, Matisyahu Nissim & Zev Chaim - Mommy and Daddy will always love you.
    IVF #3 July 2012 - ER 7/17/2012 - 10 R. 5 F. 4 made it to ET
    Transferred 2 on 7/20/2012 no snow babies :-(
    Beta on 7/31/2012 = BFMFN
    A miracle gift expected to come to us through adoption around 9/2012
    Baby girl adopted - Birth Mother changed her mind and took the baby back
    IVF #4 October 2012 - New RE. Doing PGD Testing. 8 R, 7F, 2 made it to 5 day blast for PDG testing. Both Normal (Thank you G-d!!!) 1 boy and 1 girl
    transferred one beautiful 5day blast (girl)
    Please G-d the almighty one - let this be our take home baby!
    Beta #1 158, Beta #2 318, 1 Absolutely magnificent HB at 175! Thank you G-d!!!
    Baby Girl born August 5th. Thank you G-d for our precious miracle.
    AMA. PAIF & SAIF always welcome - I need all the prayers I can get!

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • imoanimoan member

imageolga1311:
    Are you sure what they did was even legal? Pregnancy is protected by the pregnancy disability act and unless the emp
    Currently Reading: Don Quixote by Miguel De Cervantes
  • Others have posted good ideas.  In my state you have to be applying for work, you can't turn down an interview and you can't turn down a job offer, but you can be clear about your expectation to take a longer leave a few months into working there.

Boy 10.6.13
    Labored at freestanding birth center using hypnobirthing techniques
    Delivered via csection
  • imageMrsMuq:

I'm sorry - it's a crappy situation.

Just from my own experience though, the requirement you be looking for a jo

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageimoan:

imageolga1311:</s
  • imageimoan:

imageolga1311:
  • imageimoan:

imageolga1311:
  • I want to thank everyone for your helpful ideas and suggestions. I'm looking into the options recommended. I think partly I just needed to post for my own grieving process. Today has been rough emotionally, but I know my husband and I are going to make

• For sure contact the student loan companies and get a deferment. That will give you a little wiggle room. The PPs gave lots of great advice so I won't repeat all of that. Good luck and keep your head up. You got this!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Are they giving you the option of COBRAing your insurance? I've had this option in the past when laid off, you can choose to pay a fee to keep your coverage for a year. Sometimes it isn't the best deal (sometimes it is), but if you are in a pinch and don'
    BabyFruit Ticker S & J married 05.09.10 -- BFP #1 07.12.12, EDD 03.24.13, MMC 7w4d BFP #2 12.12.12, EDD 08.26.13, MC 12.22.12 MTHFR diagnosis 01.11.13 BFP #3 01.20.13, EDD 09.30.13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"