Adoption

Post Adoption Blues

IRRIRR member
I took this book out of the library today to just read about this topic.  Any of you moma's who have already adopted, have you read this or did you experience any post adoption blues?  Just in the first few pages, I can see how this could be an issue for some.

Failed Matches - December 2012, May 2013, December 2013
Moved on to  gestational surrogacy with a family friend who is our angel and due 7/23/15

Re: Post Adoption Blues

• Hmm, I may need to check that book out.  I definitely experienced something...it was a much bigger transition for me than I realized to go from working full-time to being a SAHM full-time.  I didn't feel like a mother for a long time (maybe I st
    Married Since 09/2006, TTC Since 09/2010 
    DX: Unexplained infertility, DH normal 
    3 Femara cycles - Oct, Nov, Dec 2011, all BFNs 
    IVF #1, ER 2/15 (5R, 4M, 4F), ET 2/18, Beta 2/29 = BFN :( 
    Follistim + IUI on 6/25 = BFN 
    Home Study Finalized 8/14/12! Profile Active - 8/17/12! 
    Officially Matched 8/29/12, Our perfect angel born 9/25/12! 
    Biggest surprise ever, unexpected BFP on 4/12/13! 

Our Angel through Adoption
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Our Little Miracle
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I can totally relate! The first year after I adopted. I felt so depressed at times because I couldn't come.and go like I wanted. I was 39 yrs old and always had freedom. Me and hubby fought over stupid stuff like nap time, what the baby wore and.nap ti

• Loading the player...
  • I wouldn't call it blues, per se. It's more like a feeling of confinement. I'm a creature of habit, and routine, and there is no routine when you first have a baby. It's a difficult adjustment. And I'm an only child and a bit independent and enjoy sol
  • I also wanted to add, to make matters worse, I felt guilty for feeling the way I did because we had the most amazing adoption story.  When I told people, they'd be like "are you totally on cloud 9 right now?!" and I'd pretend that I was...because I f
    Married Since 09/2006, TTC Since 09/2010 
    DX: Unexplained infertility, DH normal 
    3 Femara cycles - Oct, Nov, Dec 2011, all BFNs 
    IVF #1, ER 2/15 (5R, 4M, 4F), ET 2/18, Beta 2/29 = BFN :( 
    Follistim + IUI on 6/25 = BFN 
    Home Study Finalized 8/14/12! Profile Active - 8/17/12! 
    Officially Matched 8/29/12, Our perfect angel born 9/25/12! 
    Biggest surprise ever, unexpected BFP on 4/12/13! 

Our Angel through Adoption
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Our Little Miracle
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I did not, but I know of a couple of people who had post-adoption depression on some level or another. I was a bit on the lookout for it because my mom had PPD and PPA for a pretty significant period of time.
  • I think it's safe to say I might be dealing with some of this right now.
    :::FOLLOW MY HALF MARATHON TRAINING:::

:::Our Adoption Journey:::

Evan James was born 1/24/13 and matched with us 2/20/13. The LOVE OF MY LIFE!!!
  • I have not yet adopted, but I did experience PPD and my husband dealt with depression in the months following the birth of our daughter. As older, independent parents, the adjustment was definitely harder than we realized. I was really hesitant to get hel
    ***************************** Our beautiful daughter was born in October 2009. Turns out she was quite the miracle. After two years of TTC, diagnosed with DOR. A couple of failed treatment cycles later, we decided to let go of our hope for more biological children and explore adoption.
  • imageMush-Tastic:
    I think it's safe to say I might be dealing with some of this right now.

Oh Mush, H

• I went through something that wasn't quite depression but was certainly more severe than just the blues.  In addition to adjusting to parenthood and never having a free moment ever, I was completely overwhelmed by my inability to converse w

• imagecrene84:
    I also wanted to add, to make matters worse, I felt guilty for feeling the way I did because we had the most amazing
  • I think it was a big lifestyle shock for us.  We went from no kids to very active 2 and 4 yo boys.  It is very demanding, they constantly test our patience.  D and I are going to do some couple sessions with the family/ind therapist for

Adoption Blog Updated 2/15
  • IRRIRR member

imageNariaDreaming:
    What an amazing coincidence- this was in my newsfeed after lunch

https://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/

Failed Matches - December 2012, May 2013, December 2013
    Moved on to  gestational surrogacy with a family friend who is our angel and due 7/23/15

• I second everything crene said.  It took me about 7 or 8 months to really get the feel for it.  Now that J is more active its definitely got easier.  I just wrote a blog post about this.  I feel so bad about how much I resented

Started TTC January 2007 4 failed IUIs, 2 failed IVFs
    2012 - Adopted Child #1
    2014- Adopted Child #2

2015 - Fostering Child #3

Check out my infertility turned adoption blog: Discovering Joy In The Storm

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"