Stay at Home Moms

What were your marriage requirements?

I could not think of a better way to word this. When it came to the type of man you choose to marry? What were your must haves? What were your deal breakers?

Re: What were your marriage requirements?

• Requirements were a job/good work ethic, be a mature adult and childless.  Smart and a love of travel.  Deal breakers -debt, child like behavior, workaholic or any very time consuming hobby that they were obsessed with.
    TTC since September '08 After 2 m/c - lap for stage 3-4 endo Oct '09 Bravelle w/Ovidrel trigger - iui on 11/07 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I started dating the boy who would eventually become my DH when I was 14 (one day from 15) and he was 16 (three weeks from 17).  So, at that point, marriage was the farthest thing from my mind.  We stayed together through college at UVA, and

SAHM to Eli, born 11.26.11
  • Loading the player...
  • That I was in love with him, and I knew he loved me.  That's it.
  • He had to be a Christian and hard worker. He had to be mature. There were a lot of obnoxious "drive through the drive through backwards" kind of guys my sister dated. I was not going to marry one of those. He had to be respectful to me and other women

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Wants kids, cares about health/fitness, and the sex had to be good.

Deal breakers would be someone who didn't want kids, abusive...aside from that I don't really know.

I always thought I'd never marry anyone who didn't love to read as much

One direction photo: One Direction gif onedirectiongifmacarenaey_zpsbdaf903f.gif
    DS born 3.12 
    DD born 7.14
  • This question is so fitting for today LOL

I have a revision to mine:

*Once, just once, side w/ me instead of MIL, I AM YOUR WIFE ; )

Our miracle IVF baby - D 6/09 & J - Surprise! born 9/10!!!
  • Requirements - Kind, passionate/driven, succesful (I don't mean this in terms of making $, I mean this in terms of an ability to succeed and be happy with whatever his passion is, you know?), loves to travel, accepting, thinks I am the bees knees even

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I wanted somebody I was attracted* to and would make a good father. Somebody I could have fun with and depend on. Oh and couldn't be a Republican or an Auburn fan.

***The type of man I am attracted to...blue eyes, dark hair, loves sports {footbal

• DH and I started dating when I was 17 and he was 18. Within that first year two horrible and traumatic events happened to me. He stood by me throughout it all and was so strong for me to lean on and supportive. I knew then that he would never leave me and

• I had very high standards because I wasn't going to just settle. I wanted to choose wisely. Good work ethic/job, same religion as me, would be supportive of me quitting my very good paying job to become a sahm once we had children, respectful towar

• Someone who was driven and had a career and an education.

Someone who could make me laugh.

Someone who could provide a life of security.

Someone who respected me. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I wanted someone motivated, who respects me and who loves children. The only true deal breakers were a bad temper and lack of patience...I fully admit that I'm a handful, so those things wouldn't have worked.
    "And though she be but little, she is fierce."
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    PitaPata Dog tickers
  • Things that attracted to me to my SO:

Good with kids.  Happy with his job situation.  Good family. Attractive.

I was married before and those were the things my ex-H was not. 

• DH and I met when we were in our early 30's, so I had lots of time and bad dates  to figure out what I wanted and what I didn't want.  I knew that to be in a successful long term relationship/marriage, I had to be with someone with a sense of

• imageamy052006:

Since its UO opinion day...

I don't get writing off a guy with a child, provided he is being a good, responsi

• Must haves: Intelligent, funny, easy to talk to. Similar political and religious beliefs. Similar views on money. Similar views on future family. Steady employment history. I preferred someone who didn't already have kids but that wasn't a automatic de

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageseans_grl:
    imageamy052006:<
    TTC since September '08 After 2 m/c - lap for stage 3-4 endo Oct '09 Bravelle w/Ovidrel trigger - iui on 11/07 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageamy052006:

Since its UO opinion day...

I don't get writing off a guy with a child, provided he is being a good, responsi

Ms. A  - 2007, Mr. C - 2009
  • ta78ta78 member

I don't know if I ever had a list. I wanted someone who was kind and funny, good looking, close w his family and got along w mine, and laid back/easy going. Also someone who was supportive, liked my friends, and had ambition.

I was in a terrible

Q :  06.25.10
    W : 01.11.13

#3 : due 11.02.15

• Intelligent, kind, respectful, hard working, good sense of humor, wanted children, non-smoker.
    Ms. A  - 2007, Mr. C - 2009
  • I don't think I had a set list of requirements in mind. I met DH in middle school and we were high school sweethearts so it's not really something I was consciously thinking about.

That said, I certainly wouldn't have stuck wi

PCOS Dx 12.08 / BFP! 4.22.10 DS1 born 1.4.11 DS2 born 6.19.13
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I would say my top factors were:

Motivated in a career path. We were still in college when we decided to get married, but he was completing a degree in engineering so I knew he cared about his future career.

Sense of humor. I can't stand pe

• I expected a good relationship with mutual respect and loyalty...similar interests and goals for the future. Deal breakers would have been any serious vices like smoking or substance abuse... someone who was violent or seemed like a frequent liar.

• Must Haves: polite/gentleman-like, shares my sense of humor, hard-working, intelligent, must be going to college or have a degree (met and married him while we were in college), shares my religion

Deal-Breakers: smoker (I have asthma, so this

daughter born June 2011 via C-Section, son born November 2012 via VBAC
  • I never had requirements, but I can say I never would have been interested in marrying a man who treated me like crap or was a lazy bum or who had basic ideas about life that were really off from mine.  But I think any of those things are pretty self
    imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • I don't think I went into marriage with a strong list.  I just wanted someone who loved me unconditionally.  I was 18 when I met DH, and I knew he was the one from the beginning, so I don't remember having any qualifications he had to meet.&n

• imageanchalmasako:

Must Haves: polite/gentleman-like, shares my sense of humor, hard-working, intelligent, must be going to college

Daughter #1 - February 12, 2010 

natural m/c March 11, 2011 at 8 1/2 weeks 

Daughter #2 - January 11, 2012 

Ectopic pregnancy discovered November 6, 2012 at 6 weeks

Daughter #3 - January 19, 2014

Started our exploration into the world of international adoption June 2012.  We have no idea what this is going to look like but we are excited to find out!

image              image

• imagedhviel:

Why is a college degree such a big deal breaker?  It may be different in Canada, but if a guy would have had a tr

• Job, democrat, kind, and a guy who wanted a big family!

• Have the same general religious and political beliefs.

Someone who liked to travel and have the same interests as me. I would not have been happy with a homebody.

Someone who wanted several children as well as pets.

&n

• When I was 15 I made a list of everything I wanted in a husband though it did get revised multiple times through my dating years. It was a long a very specific list. My friends used to lecture me on being so picky but I wouldn't budge on most of the th

• I had a crazy laundry list.
    I pretty much got them all when it came to Liam.
    He is from a "good family"
    Ivy League grad.
    Tall 6'5
    Really nice. Sweet. Thoughtful. Funny.
    I hit the jackpot.

Blessed with double the love. C and J born May 2013
  • imagedhviel:
    imageanchalmasako:<
    daughter born June 2011 via C-Section, son born November 2012 via VBAC
  • I didn't really have a list in mind because I guess I never had marriage in my plans. I knew I wanted to get married and have kids I just didn't plan for it. But this is what drew me to my DH: strong work ethic, smart, funny, alpha male type, live or coul

• imageanchalmasako:
    imagedhviel:<

Daughter #1 - February 12, 2010 

natural m/c March 11, 2011 at 8 1/2 weeks 

Daughter #2 - January 11, 2012 

Ectopic pregnancy discovered November 6, 2012 at 6 weeks

Daughter #3 - January 19, 2014

Started our exploration into the world of international adoption June 2012.  We have no idea what this is going to look like but we are excited to find out!

image              image

• Must be kind.

Must put time with family first.

Must treat me as an equal in every way.

Must be liberal and love the arts.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"