Working Moms

NWMR: Bratty Birthday Boy (DH not DS)

DH and I are both turning 30 this year. His is Sunday. We're both considering it a big deal but he's being a D-I-V-A about it. 

For two weeks he said "don't do anything". I just had to keep asking. 

He wanted White Sox tickets. But they had to be bleacher. What?! We can only afford nosebleeds?! No way.

Then he said "okay let's go to Dave and Busters". But after paying all the bills and buying groceries, we don't really have enough to go, eat-n-play and park....and wash clothes.....and get to and from work next week.

So today, I went through Groupon and looked for some deal. And they were AWESOME! $8 for a movie for two with popcorn. $12 for mini-golf for four (so we could double date), $10 for 2 drinks and 40 tokens and some hipster arcade. He doesn't want any part of it. 

I want to do something special for his birthday, but I'm hovering between feeling guilty that I didn't put aside $60 last paycheck and being kinda pissed off that he's being such a brat about it. My options are: keep trying, go borrow some cash, postpone birthday activities until payday or tell him where he can go and take DS for an $8 movie. 

Ugh.

Re: NWMR: Bratty Birthday Boy (DH not DS)

• Sorry for the birthday situation that you are in.  I think if I were in the same boat I'd probably opt to wait until payday to do something official, but also look for a fun free event going on this weekend in your area to take DH to.  For examp
  • I would postpone until payday.  Seeing as how you both know the financial needs of your household, surely he'll understand the concept behind "we're broke"!  We have put off many an activity until payday here.  If he has a hissy fit, the

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imageWhitWed:
    Sorry for the birthday situation that you are in.  I think if I were in the same boat I'd probably opt to wait u
  • Eh-give him a bj and call it welcome to the 'dirty 30's'
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageLoCarb:
    Eh-give him a bj and call it welcome to the 'dirty 30's'

Believ

• imageReeB83:

imageWhitWed:</s
  • imageEstwd2:
    Maybe I'm just a biitch, but I would tell him to suck it up. If you can't afford to do what he wants and he hates all
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My DH would never enjoy those things if he thought it was a financial stress. IMO, your DH is being a brat. I think you should have a big family dinner like has been mentioned and if he complains, tell him he is being ungrateful. He has many more birth
  • As it is his 30th birthday the phrase "grow up" seems appropriate here. 

But, I'm not one for big birthday celebrations so I just don't get adults wanting big things.  I don't remember what I did for my 30th and I know I didn't do an

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

• I can't remember the last time we celebrated my birthday or DH's birthday in any meaningful way.

If he tells me happy birthday on the actual day of my birth, I am content. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
                                         DS is 1DAF

"I realize I say the word fuck a lot, and I'd like to apologize but I don't give a shit." -Lewis Black
  • I agree postpone until payday...adults can understand teh situation. ;) Maybe just buy/make a cake for his birthday, and put a coupon in there for what is to come when payday arrives.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Anniversary
  • I agree he's being a brat but I'm also confused about why neither of you budgeted for this. It's not a surprise that his birthday is coming up or that he wanted to do something special.

FWIW I don't think I'm particularly divaish but I like
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imageKathrynMD:
    I agree he's being a brat but I'm also confused about why neither of you budgeted for this. It's not a surprise tha
  • imageReeB83:

imageKathrynMD:<
    DS: 2/17/11          DD: 9/4/13
  • Thanks for all the opinions. Apparently the answer was to shut up about it. Yesterday, he declared that he found a great deal on Groupon for this restaurant he's never tried before ($14 for two!) and THAT is where we shall go on his birthday. I'm prett

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"