May 2011 Moms

Free-range kids

Anyone else read this book? I saw it recommended somewhere and checked it out on my Kindle from the library, and I love it. First off, it's hilarious, and second, I think she makes many very good points about the overestimation of risks. Although some of what she said about how kids grow up in non-English-speaking countries was a bit idealized. I live in Germany and don't know any 3 year olds who are allowed to walk to the bakery on their own like she claims happens in the small village a friend of hers lived in in Germany. I think that's more of a village thing than a foreign country thing.

What did the rest of you think of it if you've read it?

Here's the amazon link for those interested, btw:

https://www.amazon.com/Free-Range-Raise-Self-Reliant-Children-Without/dp/0470574755/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364812987&sr=8-1&keywords=free-range+kids

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

Re: Free-range kids

• It sounds interesting. I may have to read it, if only because I'm one of those parents. I would never let my 9 year old take the subway in NYC and as a non-American, I cringe every time time I see a child walking home from school because that is unheard o
  • imageSteph&Harry08:
    It sounds interesting. I may have to read it, if only because I'm one of those parents. I would never let m

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• Loading the player...
  • I grew up in a small town and we rode our bikes to and from the store (1 mile) starting around age 7. By age 10 we rode our bikes all over town up to 5 miles. We were always in a group. I honestly grew up in a household with no rules and my siblings and I
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I was actually thinking about reading this. Thanks for reccomending!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"