Attachment Parenting

To circ or not to circ...that is the question.

I'm a lurker on this board- so I'll take this time to say hello.

My husband and I are expecting a boy in August and would love some views on circumcision or keeping our boy intact.

Anyone have any valid arguments for one or the other? I'm ultimately letting my husband take the reigns on this one because, after all, he has a penis, but I am leaning toward keeping our son intact. He still is on the fence about it!

I wasn't sure where else to ask this, but AP is the parenting style we tend to follow, so thought I'd ask other like-minded individuals.

Thanks in advance- and if a war starts, I'm so sorry. I'm really just looking for advice and don't want to post this on Facebook!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: To circ or not to circ...that is the question.

• Yey, this is controversial but I think I have a balanced view. We decided not to. I did alot of research but ultimately we did what felt right to us, which is that he was going to be perfect just the way he was. Our doctor said that ultimately it is a cos
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Unlike the majority of posters here we chose to circ due to the medical benefits. I cant link but check out the cdc fact sheet, the most recent aap statement, and research from John Hopkins hospital for some really good data for making an informed deci

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you for your responses- very helpful. I'll be checking out those sites with my husband this week sometime!
  • I'm very anti-circumcision and hormonal so I'm going to try to put my opinion out there as gentle as possible. Please don't get offended by anything I say. :P

For me this is a very easy decision. There is no medical organization in the
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagekdjudd:
    I'm very anti-circumcision and hormonal so I'm going to try to put my opinion out there as gentle as possible. Please don
  • We ended up having a girl, but back in the days of "we-don't-know-what-we're-having" we had mutually decided to leave our possible son intact, despite DH being circ'd. Most of the world leaves boys intact and I just couldn't imagine putting my baby thr

• OP, you've gotten lots of great advice.  We also chose not to circ because, after all our research, that's what "felt right" to us.  I still feel good about our decision but I do still worry about long term consequences (I'm sure I would

• imageDCMerged:
    Yey, this is controversial but I think I have a balanced view. We decided not to. I did alot of research but ultimat

BabyFruit Ticker

• I didn't have my son circumcised.

A note on the pain aspect... I'm really happy with my decision as PPs have stated, but after I literally cried during the heel prick in the hospital, I know I would have trouble forgiving myself for putting him t

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagehocus:
    We're Jewish and we did it because of that. If I wasn't Jewish I wouldn't have done it. While I think there may be some smal
    "When the first baby laughed for the first time, the laugh broke into a thousand pieces and they all went skipping about, and that was the beginning of fairies." Sir James Barrie in Peter Pan

DS: 11/1/2010    DD: 8/9/2012       #3: 4/2019
  • We chose not to circ.  For us the health benefits were not compelling enough.  I think every family has to weigh the pros and cons and make the choice that works for them.

That said, I would urge you to remember that while your husband

• No one can tell you what to do on this.  It's such a personal/emotional decision that you just have to go with your gut.  The pro and con information is so balanced on this that it just seems to bring the choice right back to you.

I can

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • I'm not really passionate about the issue. Neither of my boys are circ'ed because DH is European and they don't circ their boys there.

• imageamy052006:
    imageEveryuserna

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We chose not to circumsize our son. After researching it quite a bit we couldn't find a compelling medical reason to circumsize so we chose not to.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I dont really have anything to say besides it's a non-compromising decision that needs to be made and good luck because it's a tuffy. Im not pro-circ but Im not anti circ. I wouldnt have done it myself, but DH wanted it done and I see benefits to both

• We decided to not circ our son. My husband was a little wary at first, but on his own he went and researched the topic and watched a video of a baby being circ'd and that totally changed his mind. 

Our little man has had no problems after 6

• I feel very strongly about the issue, in my opinion it's a human rights issue. I think that everyone is entitled to the intact body they were born with and it is not anyone's right to make that choice for someone else.

If you look at the sta

• imageJasmineeelizabeth:

I feel very strongly about the issue, in my opinion it's a human rights issue. I think that everyone is ent

Our Squishy - 8/21/12
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    blog! thescenery.net

I feel very strongly about the issue, in my opinion it's a human rights issue. I think that everyone is ent

Vagina's require more cleaning/care than an uncircumcised penis.

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• i have a question for the anti circ side. the argument that people in other cultures don't do it and they're fine always gets brought up. is the strand of hpv causing cervical cancer/hiv prevalent in these regions? that was a huge reasoning i

• You're all so so helpful and have stayed very level headed through this question- I know it's a controversial topic.

Thank you all again for your replies and for your (mostly) researched and educated answers. I really appreciate the feedba

• imagefredalina:
    I hate to sound like a slut or something but I've been with both types of penises and neither is rough or scaly or
  • imagepunkrockabye:
    Very TMI: comparing his penis to all sorts of photos, his is shiny, smooth, and looks soft; circed penises that
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I used to be completely in the dark about it. I didn't care either way. When we found out we were having DS, DH said he did not want it done. H is circ, but says he always wished he wasn't. I started during research and now I'm totally anti-circ. I am so

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• A study that estimates (since it says there is no way to know for sure) that there are approx. 117 deaths/year due to circ. in the US.

http

• We went back and forth on this topic, but ultimately decided to circ for reasons all stated by PPs.  We ended up not having to, because DS was born with a "natural" circumcision.  Technically it's a birth defect and can be as severe

DD 12/20/99, DS 12/14/12, M/C 9/2014, M/C 1/2015

• imageKC_13:

i have a question for the anti circ side. the argument that people in other cultures don't do it and they're fine alway

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• I let hubby decide. He even said " Well, I don't want him to be mad at me when he's an adult." To me, this means that he would feel annoyed if he had not been circ'd and in order to not look different he'd have to undergo an uncomfortable procedur

BabyFruit Ticker
  • .  i  think It is a huge human rights violation. 

The US Is the only county that thinks there are health  benefits to circumcision. Most of the world's men are intact and are not having problems.  

When i had my son

Emily & Alex imageimage
  • imagesalt78:

imagepunkrockabye:</
    Our Squishy - 8/21/12
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    blog! thescenery.net
  • imagesalt78:

imagepunkrockabye:</
    Our Squishy - 8/21/12
    blog! thescenery.net
  • One thing to remember though, a properly done Jewish Circ looks very different than an American Medical amputation...  There is much less of the foreskin removed in the Jewish ritual than in the "medical" version.
  • imagencbelle:

We chose not to circ.  For us the health benefits were not compelling enough.  I think every family has to

• there's a bunch of moms on the 9-12 months board who've been talking about how their sons' penises have reattached and some of them have to have surgery.  apparently it's way more common than I realized.  I have a daughter, but for this reason a
  • imagefredalina:
    imageKC_13:</
  • We knew that we would from the get-go, even before we knew that DS was...well, a DS. My DH and I talked about it and we sure that we would. We also decided to do it when he was around two months old and I swear, it wasn't that bad. It broke my heart to

Damon & Alaric Icon Pictures, Images and PhotosCute icon Pictures, Images and PhotosDaisypath Anniversary tickersBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"