Military Families

Newport News Area move

Hi,
We are moving mid pregnancy from down south and I'm curious as to where the closest base is to the Shipyard of Newport News? I want to deliver baby 2 at a military hospital due to switching back to Tricare Prime. Please let me know if anyone knows of any military hospitals not too far from the Newport News Shipyards. Thank you! BTW If anyone could also suggest an area to move to not far from there that is safe please also let me know.

Re: Newport News Area move

• I'm not sure where to live since we live in Williamsburg. We are Army and I am seen at Ft. Eustis in Newport News for regular doctor. They don't have and OB there though so they send me to the closest base that does, Langley Air Force Base in the Hampton
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thank you for your post! We are moving from FL in June and I just feel overwhelmed since this is our last military move before my husband gets out in 2014. I will have to write what you said down for future reference. I also am worried about moving to the
  • Loading the player...
  • To be honest, I haven't heard great things. I mainly stick to the mall and stores near I64 and Jefferson, which is nice, but any time I drive farther than that it gets a bit shady... I hear a lot of people live in nearby towns, roughly 15 minutes away. <
  • Ya that's exactly how we feel too about Newport News.. I almost feel bad about judging a place before even living there but apparently it's THAT bad. We are moving from south of jacksonville which I mean, jax doesn't have the best reputation but the land
  • So Langley Airforce base is the closest hospital with a maternity ward? How far is NAS Norfolk to the Shipyard?
  • Naval Medical Center Portsmouth is the main Navy hospital here too.  

Personally I wouldn't live in Newport News or Hampton.  While there are some nice areas and neighborhoods, a lot of the stores are ghetto and friends that live there

• imageBeachy730:

Personally I wouldn't live in Newport News or Hampton.  While there are some nice areas and neighborhoods, a l

• imageflip_flops:
    imageBeachy730:
  • Thanks ladies for your responses. I guess we should just do what we did here in Jax and focus on safety rather than commute to base. I think we will definitely consider Suffolk schools isn't super important right now because our daughter is only 9 months
  • My husband is at the newport news ship yard and we live in the upper suffolk/western branch chesapeake/ churchland area of portsmouth area and love it. It is a 15 min commute for him to go to the shipyard and a 15 min drive for me to naval Medical Center

Married 11/27/09 and TTC right away
    Dx: Complete septate uterus with cervical duplication, endometrial polyps, PCOS, endometriosis, hypo thyroid, luteal phase defect
    4 uterus surgeries to correct my complete septum and to remove polyps and 2 years of seeing the RE, medicated cycles and IUIs
    Baby 1 and 2: BFP 3/3/11 with 2 babies EDD 11/1/11, M/C 4/6/11
    Baby #3: 8/11 pregnant EDD 4/27/11 and m/c:(
    Baby #4: 10/12/11 BFP! EDD 6/16/12m/c 10/26/11
    Baby #5: 3/13/12 BFP! EDD 11/25/12 ANOTHER m/c :(

Baby #6: 2/14/13- BFP! EDD 10/24/13, CP 2/19/13
    Baby #7: 3/15/13- BFP! EDD 11/27/13, another CP
    Baby #8.  BFP 5/19/13 EDD 1/22/14. 8 was not our lucky number

4th septum resection on 5/31/13.
    Baby #9: 6/29/13 BFP. C section scheduled for March 5th!

My miracle baby was born March 5 at 9:33am. He was 8 lbs 12.5 oz and 21.25 inches long!

image"">

• My husband works at the Newport News shipyard right now and we live in the willoughby spit section of Norfolk and I would normally able scheduled to deliver at NMCP in Portsmouth and have heard wooooondeful things about it! Willoughby is about a 20 minute
  • Also, BAH is about 1500 for E5 for us with 2 kids, 2 bedrooms, VERY nice area/condo ON the beach, rent 1200, water 75125, electric 85145, our renters insurance was so cheap we paid up front. Our BAH covers everything and we have a little left over afterwa
  • imageKorfhage5512:
    Also, BAH is about 1500 for E5 for us with 2 kids, 2 bedrooms, VERY nice area/condo ON the beach, rent 1200, wat
  • Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I agree not to worry too much about the commute.

DH was last stationed at Oceana and he commuted out of Larchmont in Norfolk.  Like flipflops is a "VB snob", I'm a "Norfolk snob".  I believe that Norfolk's best neighborhoods (Larchmont,

Married 6/28/03

Kate ~ 7/3/09 *** Connor ~ 11/11/10

4 miscarriages: 2007, 2009, 2013, 2014

*~*~*~*~*

No more TTC for us. We are done, and at peace, as a family of 4.

"Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but – I hope – into a better shape.” — Charles Dickens

• We lived in hampton/newport news for 2ish years and honestly would choose it over VA beach. but you have to be in the right area.  We lived in some apartments by the pennisula town center and absolutely loved it. safe area for being alone, or walking
  • imageufsandra85:
    My husband is at the newport news ship yard and we live in the upper suffolk/western branch chesapeake/ churchland
  • image1199boo:
    Hi, We are moving mid pregnancy from down south and I'm curious as to where the closest base is to the Shipyard of N
  • image1199boo:
    Hi, We are moving mid pregnancy from down south and I'm curious as to where the closest base is to the Shipyard of N
  • I'm way late on responding but I wanted to say that I had my daughter at Riverside in Newport News and it was a fantastic experience.  I would suggest getting a referal off base for maternity care becasue there's not enough money in the world to g

• This is a really really late response as well but I wanted to mention for any future readers that I live in Newport News (a really nice and safe part that we LOVE) and I just had my first baby. I had all my care at Langley Air Force base in Hampton and delivered her there and had an amazing experience. Their entire maternity ward has been completely renovated in the past two years and they are beautiful! I had just awesome care and a few of my girlfriends have recently had babies as well and while visiting them I'm always shocked how tiny and old their rooms feel compared to what I was in. And my nurses were SO nice. Hope that helps! Thanks!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"