August 2012 Moms

what do i say? please help.

sub: what do i say?  please help.

so, for starters i mean no offense by any of this. 

a friend of mine went in for delivery two weeks ago.  we were waiting on news.  we just got an email from her saying her little boy was born with down syndrome.  this was a completely unexpected development.  They had no inclination that this was a possibility.

i am so torn for how to respond to her.  does anyone have an personal experience with this?

on one hand i want to celebrate the birth of her beautiful new son, on the other, i know this wasn't the outcome she was expecting.

if you have an experience with anything like this, i'd love to hear your opinion.

also, she asked us to pass along any resources we might have, so if you know of any, i'd appreciate those as well.

thanks.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: what do i say? please help.

• Oh gosh what a difficult situation, I'm sorry!

I would focus on congratulating her, for sure, on the birth of her son. I'm not even sure I would address the Down syndrome part unless she brings it up and wants to talk about it. Then you can b
    WEBONLY_NOPRINT_DSC_1509-2-2236294072-O
    DS #1 Born: 10/03/06, DS #2 Born: 08/06/12 My Cooking Blog
  • I would say something like, "congratulations on your little blessing. If you need anything, please let me know." It let's her know you're there to support her. She's probably in a bit of shock if she didnt expect it.
  • Loading the player...
  • I have no help with wording things, because I am horrible with that, but someone posted this a while back! It is an amazing story. Have tissues ready when you read it, but her blog is a good resource for a mom having a down syndrome baby. I have not lo

• it's good advice, cleigh.  i'm just sitting here stunned and so upset for them.  my stomach is in knots. 

i know that down syndrome babies are a special gift and that her little boy will grow up with so much to offer the world,

• How is she taking it? Is she close enough to be frank with you? My BFF had her son way early and when I went to see her, her H went to grab dinner and it was just me and her. As soon as he left, she just unloaded on me. I congratulated her but asked her i
    Then and now. How did my boy get so big? 

• imageCLeigh03:
    Oh gosh what a difficult situation, I'm sorry!

I would focus on congratulating her, for sure, on the birth o
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm sure you've read this, but: https://www.kellehampton.com/2010/01/nella-cordelia-birth-story.html

She also published a book after the success/overwhelming respons

A12 Sig Challenge - Favorite Fall Show!
    SCANDAL!

• imageScout2005:

I think you focus on the joy of a new baby, and just say things like "I know you guys will be amazing parents for t

Image and video hosting by TinyPic C 5.14.08 c 8.9.12 Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I would also point her towards Kelle Hamptons Nella birth story.  Hers was an unexpected diagnosis at birth as well. 

Bring her sweet outfits for the baby to the hospital.  Bring her dinner when she gets home.  Do all the t

• imageKLilley:
    I would also point her towards Kelle Hamptons Nella birth story.nbsp; Hers was an unexpected diagnosis at birth as well.nb
    Then and now. How did my boy get so big? 

• imagehalvorsonl00:
    imageScout2005:</
    Untitled
  • imagebkayem:
    imagehalvorsonl00:</str
    BFP #1 5/16/11 - M/C 5/20/11 BFP #2 7/26/11 - Chemical Pregnancy 7/28/11 BFP #3 8/31/11 - Chemical Pregnancy 9/10/11 (Worst Birthday Ever!!) BFP #4 12/3/11 DD born 8/13 Perfect in every way!! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • thanks for all the feedback, ladies. yeh, saying "i'm sorry" was never on my radar. i did share that blog with her. it's just a tough situation for them, i'm sure.
  • The National Down Syndrome Society website is a great resource.  The site is: https://www.ndss.org/

The other ladies gave you great advice related to what to say to her!  Coming from experience, be car

"To be able to practice five things everywhere under heaven constitutes perfect virtue...gravity, generosity of soul, sincerity, earnestness, and kindness."
  • You're really direct, so stay true to yourself.

"Amigo, this is a crappy surprise to get. Your son is beautiful, and you are going to be one HELL of a mom and have an amazing life together, but it's 100 percent fine to feel scared and sad ri

AUGUST 2012 UNICORN

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageCLeigh03:
    Oh gosh what a difficult situation, I'm sorry! I would focus on congratulating her, for sure, on the birth of her
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Before I was a SAHM I worked with special needs children. Well,most of them were'nt technically children (most were 14-24) but they were child-like. 2 of the girls I worked with that have downs have jobs,are involved in the special olympics,one has a b

• imageklmcguire:

I have no help with wording things, because I am horrible with that, but someone posted this a while back! It is an

• imageitsusuallysunny:

Before I was a SAHM I worked with special needs children. Well,most of them were'nt technically children (

• What's your email? I have an email I'd like to forward you that someone sent me shortly after finding out about H's cleft. I read it every time I'm feeling overwhelmed or sad about things, I think she'd enjoy it.

Proud Mama to cleft cutie <3
  • Google "A trip to Holland". It is absolutely perfect for this situation. I suggest it to every parent who has a special needs child. It also reminds me of how I ended up in special Ed rather than elementary Ed like I planned.
  • imagemegmb24:
    Google "A trip to Holland". It is absolutely perfect for this situation. I suggest it to every parent who has a special ne

Proud Mama to cleft cutie <3
  • I was going to suggest Nella Cordelias birth story but I hear it's already been linked. PLEASE PLEASE celebrate this little life as you would any others. Send flowers, ask to come see him, bring the family dinner. 

I work in early interventi

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"