January 2013 Moms

Nine weeks old and nursing!

So miracle ninja baby nursed yesterday. And all day today! I was pumping and he was laying on my lap on his back just kind of dozing. I leaned forward to detach my left breast and he reached up and latched onto my right! Wait, what?! How is this possible? I was told his high palate and tongue tie was keeping him from latching?! Well, he's trying. It's not pretty and hurts but he's getting milk and has been seeking my chest out all day. He even refused the bottle this morning and when I popped out a boob he was all over it! We need major practice and it seems to work best if I've pumped a while otherwise he chokes and nearly drowns. Any tips ladies? I want to get him to latch better but he's used to bottles. And how do I keep him from drowning?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Nine weeks old and nursing!

• I don't have a lot of advice on latch except make sure he's in a comfortable position. Also maybe meeting with a lactation consultant again?

As far as keeping him from drowning I have found that pumping a little before or hand expression is best

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have a very active letdown so my LO used to cough and sputter and "drown" lol 

My LC has me positioning her so that I'm leaning back when I feed her and she is upright and at the level of my nipple so that its easier for her to control the

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Just make sure you're laying down and pump a little first if its too much for him. Keep at it, babies go on instinct at this age and if they are hungry they will get it out, you're doing great!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Well done!  I have no tips!  My LO gets an eye full (literally) sometimes in the morning when I'm really full.  I just try my best to get it into his mouth quickly so that he can start eating.  When he starts to "drown". I pull him off
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • That's awesome! Way to go mama. I'd definitely see if you can work with a LC to help with latch issues. For me LO drowning during nursing got a lot better when I got my oversupply under control. This involved cutting back on pumping sessions as he learned
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • I have nothing to add, but PPs had some good advice. 

This is awesome though, go you two!

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • I don't have any advice but just wanted to say way to go! As a mom who spent the first 6 weeks pumping and gave up when I went back to work, this will definitely give you more time!
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I just sent an email to the nearest LLL. Hopefully they're still active but their webpage is dead and their FB hasn't been updated in at least a month. The LC I was working with was from the hospital but she charges 100/hr and I'm on Tricare so no lactati
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • First off, congratulations!!! That is wonderful news!

I agree with everything that's been said. I think SarahBBowers touched on this, but you can nurse "uphill" so you LO is higher than your nipple it will slow the flow of milk since you are
  • Congrats! This happened to me too, I had given up at 4weeks / EPed... and randomly tried again at 6weeks and she latched! Isn't it the best feeling? When it first happened I was skeptical she was getting much because I was offering the bottle after and sh
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"