Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

WWYD - Daycare Situation

Ladies: I?ve been mulling this over for a couple of weeks now and just cannot figure out what to do. Your advice would be appreciated :)

Here?s the situation: My son has been attending the same, small, in-home daycare pretty much his entire life (since he was three months old).  His daycare provider is wonderful, loving and has made him a part of her family. We have been very happy with everything and I know we are lucky to have her.

She has two young kids of her own and watches them, plus my son and 1-2 other toddlers. So it?s about a 5:1 ratio. Recently, she told me she is pregnant and I just assumed she would want to take some time off to care for her newborn when it comes and I told her I would plan to take my son somewhere else starting about a month before she?s due and think about bringing him back to her after she was back in the swing of things (I assumed that would be when her newborn was about 3 months old). Well, you know what they say about assuming. She was really hurt that I suggested this. She said she plans to only take a week off when her new baby comes. But I?m just not sure how comfortable I am with her watching my son right after she has a newborn and also, when she is mega-pregnant. He?s a good boy, but super active and I?m afraid he wouldn?t get stimulated properly when she?s caring for a newborn baby as well, plus 4 other kids. To add a further element to this, I just found out I am pregnant myself ? due only a few weeks after she is. So he will be dealing with tired, pregnant mom and a newborn at home as well come this fall.   

There is a commercial daycare very close that has a good reputation. Or I could find another in-home. Or I could just leave him in her care. She loves him and takes great care of him, I?m just not sure how well it would go with a newborn in the mix.

What would you guys do? Would you be comfortable with this situation? 

Thank you!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: WWYD - Daycare Situation

• imageEstwd2:

That depends. Would she still be in ratio with the newborn there? (Assuming she's licensed.)

<SPAN style="F

• imageHilarityEnsued:

When is comes to who is taking care of my child, I really do not care if I hurt someone's feelings by looki

• Loading the player...
  • MisNMisN member

it would make me uncomfortable as well.   I'd been inclined to check out the centre especially as your son is getting a little older he might really like the benefit of the structure and activities.  Good luck and congrats on baby n

• imageEstwd2:

Also, would your newborn be attending at some point as well? Would she be in ratio then or would she have to hire a

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I watched 2 kids besides my own son when I was pregnant with DD.  I watched them right up to having her and it was no problem at all.  I did take 3 weeks off after the baby was born though, one week seems really short.  I think 3 months

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • First of all, that just seems like too many kids for 1 person to be caring for.I would definately take him out of there. There wouldn't be a question in my mind. He needs equal attention, and he definately won't be getting it. I understand you feeling

• While we don't currently use a daycare, I would also be uncomfortable with only one week off after her LO comes.  Why? Well, what if she has a c-section?  She will need longer than a week to recover.  What if she has a lot of blood loss

IMG_8355
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageryry1977:
    I watched 2 kids besides my own son when I was pregnant with DD.nbsp; I watched them right up to having her and it was no
  • People brought up all the issues I'd have with it.  It's not that I don't think she could care for him up until she had the baby but she is being extremely optimistic about her ability to return to work in a week.  Hell, you stay in the hospital
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• I would not be worried about someone who it 9 months pregnant doing the job - if she is feeling well.  I worked until my due date, then DD was 5 days late.  Felt fine the whole time.  I am a teacher and work with 130 kids everyday. &nbsp

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Thank you all so much. I believe she thinks that because her first two pregnancies and births went perfectly, this one definitely will too. That is for sure naive. As for my second child, I'm not positive I'll be returning to work outsid

• imageNohNah:

Thank you all so much. I believe she thinks that because her first two pregnancies and births went perfectly

Formerly known as elmoali :)

• I totally understand your concerns. My daycare had her newborn less than a week before my DD turned one. I was concerned about her with a newborn and my toddler, as well as the few other kids she had to take care of, which varies from 2 - 5 kids that a

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I am a in-home provider. I plan to get pregnant in about 6 months. My current plan in that once I have the baby taking a month off, just to get into my own new rhythm. 6 kids is a lot but that is how many I have right now and with the different ages and m

• ETA: I see others have said this as well!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"