Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Introducing fruits and veggies

How much oatmeal does your 5 month old eat?  Also how often?  When did you introduce veggies and fruits?  And did you still feed oatmeal with them or seperate? I was told by my pedi not to start until 6 months but I see a couple of my friends starting veggies as early at 4.5 months.  I think it is way to early but I am wondering what others do?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image

Re: Introducing fruits and veggies

• Our ped recommended 6 mos, also, and to start by adding it to her cereal. She currently eats about 1/8 C. (measured dry) of rice cereal 2x a day.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Sounds like I am on the right path.  Although I know I shouldn't compare my LO to others, I just don't know what to do as far as fruits and veggies are concerned.  I just saw my friend feed her 4.5 month old green beans on FB and I'll tell yo

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image
  • Loading the player...
  • 4.5 mos seems way too early to add fruits/veggies, IMO. But I'm not a doctor :) 
  • Many, many people skip cereals altogether, since they have very little nutritional value, and start right with fruits and veggies. What is your pediatrician's reasoning for waiting?
  • We just started cereal this past weekend.  We will start veggies after his 6 month appointment.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    2013 Books Read 11/52
    my read shelf:
    Lauren (SnShne322)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We just started purees, and LO is eating about 1/2 a tbsp of oatmeal or sweet potato 2x a day. He's 5 months old. I plan to keep them separate for another day or two, and then start mixing them, and then start a new veggie or fruit. 

Anniversary

TTC #2 since July 2014
    BFP 9/27/14
    MMC discovered 10/27/14, D&C 11/4/14
  • We skipped cereal with DD1 because the lack of nutrients, and went straight to veggies at 4 mos. As long as a child shows signs of being ready for solids, 4-6 mos is acceptable time to start. With DD2 I am starting when she shows me signs that she is read
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image  image
  • Our pedi told us to start with what we wanted. It's more your child learning the mechanics of eating than getting nutrients because they start with so little anyway. That being said, we do want our LO to get the most nutrients out of what we do choose,

Sept 2013 started TTC#2 (never got PP period so hoping for the first egg to drop)
    Jan 2014 - diagnosed POF (Premature Ovarian Failure) and told pregnancy not possible without egg donor because my ovaries would never function again with my hormone levels (FSH 136, LH 98.6, AMH <.03, estradiol 0, HCG 7) - using acupuncture, chiropractic care and TCM herbs / supplements
    March 11, 2014 ovulated despite every doctors prognosis!!!
    Oct 2014 hormones (FSH 48, Estradiol 89, HCG 1) not good, but heckuva lot better!

Nov. 16, 2015 FET of single adopted 5AA embryo - BFN
    Read all about my TCC Journey here in my Blog Taking Back My Ovaries
  • Well, I'm in the minority here but I started rice cereal at 3 months and veggies at 4 months...We've also given baby tastes of soup broths I've made at home and pureed pinto beans.  I wait a few days between new foods but my pediatrician said ther

Anniversary 
  • At DS's 4m appt, his pedi says we can start veggies and fruits when he's ready, but he suggests we skip cereal altogether.

We started DS on solids at 4m1wk.  I make all his foods.  He's already eating banana, mango, avocado, Brussels sp

TTC since 10/2008  RE consult 6/2010 Dx:Unexplaied IF

Failed multiple cycles of Clomid+TI and Clomid+IUI

3/2011 inj+IUI #1 BFP. 4/2011 missed m/c. 

Fall 2011 inj+IUI #2&3 BFN

Jan/Feb 2012 IVF#1 BFP 2/23  EDD 10/31/2012 ~~~ Halloween ~~~

Our IVF miracle, Baby Boy M, arrived on 11/8/2012!
  • We're planning on skipping cereal and starting LO on oatmeal and avocado at 6 months if he's sitting up on his own by then. I'm not comfortable with feeding a baby baby food until they can, and the general recommendation is 6 months.
    EDD#1 12/5/12 Born 11/21/12 My LB is better than your LB.BrittanyDoesDerby 4 LYFE!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    EDD#2 2.20.16 I love you already! <3

BabyFruit Ticker
    FEB16 Siggy Challenge Fave TV mom
  • My LO is 5 months. He's had rice cereal in his bottle since7 weeks old for reflux. At 4 month appointment pedi had us start cereal. We did 3 days of rice and then switched to oatmeal. She had us gradually work our way up from one teaspoon to 2 tablespo

IMG_4550[1] Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• We skipped cereal altogether due to the lack of nutritional value.  Our pedi agreed...she did it with her 5 yr old, but skipped it with her 3 yr old and won't be doing it with her currently 2 month old.  We began pureed veggies at just over 4 mo
    March 2011: Off Nuva, cycle back to "normal" for me: No periods since 15 years old. June 2011:Provera&50 mg Clomid; Progesterone:0.7 July 2011:Provera&100mg Clomid; Progesterone:3.29 Met with RE:No Clomid response, begin injectables Sep 5 mg Letrozole and Ovidrel in the interim month. Cut out running (was a distance-runner), cycling, eliptical. Restricted to weight-training, walking, pilates. Brain MRI normal. Being physically over-stressed is the reason the body stopped producing prog. Late Sep 2011: Menopur, Ovidrel,& IUI (10.10.11):BFN-Great injectable response: 2 mature, 6 near mature, many smaller; Problem: 9 cysts! Dr: IUI too uncontrolled for number of viable eggs & age. On to IVF! IVF ER 12.6: 37 mature eggs, 27 fertilized, froze all to avoid overstimulation; FET 1.22 (2 Grade 1)=BFN; FET 2.22 (3 Grade 2)=BFP! Beta 10dp3dt=291; 12dp3dt=644; HB 3.26!! 174 bpm: Vanishing twin almost completely absorbed 10wks Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We skipped cereals as well. We started with sweet potatoes a few weeks ago. He's had banana and peas also. We are moving on to green beans next.

He's a little over 4 months so I've been giving him a new food for 3 days and then 1 day no food jus

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 2 image
  • DS has sensitive tummy, can only eat Gerber Soothe so we are also skipping cereal b/c pediatrician said it can give babies GI issues especially if they've already had sensitive tummy issues. Starting with fruit & veggies at 6 mos, formula until then.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"