May 2013 Moms

Is anyone planning on having a doula?

I mentioned the possibility of getting a doula, and my H was more on board than I thought he'd be. I've contacted a few, but haven't yet heard back from any (I've only emailed; not called, but they haven't been responsive.) 

That said - I'm starting to wonder if it's worth it. I thought having the additional support might be nice (we're both FT parents; my husband and I deal with stress VERY differently) but I plan on getting an epi, and I just don't know if it's worth the cost. 

Have you had one? Planning to get one? Is it worth it, do you think? I asked my dr about it this morning, and she said they can be beneficial, but even more so for non-medicated deliveries, which I totally get. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Is anyone planning on having a doula?

• I don't think I would have needed one last time when I had a planned epidural. Trying to go without this time around, so I have one. I don't know what she would have done with the epi, there isn't much/any moving around or changing positions, so I don't t
    Charlie 8.06.08
    Emeline 5.28.13

My Blog

Post-Baby PRs
    Esri 5K 7.16.2014 - 21:30
    Heart Half Marathon 3.16.2014 - 1:43:30
    Canton City Marathon 9.8.14 - 3:30:56
  • Yup, we're hiring one, but we are also planning to go med-free.  I want her there not just to support me, but to support DH.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks. That's my thought, too. I am going to try to hold off on an epi as long as possible, but even still... I just don't think it's worth the cost at this point. I think my H is just starting to panic a little.
  • IMO, a doula is there to help support you both. You with ideas on positions, counter-pressure, food/water, etc. while you're in labor and YH with guiding him in how to help you, making sure he gets rest, food, breaks.

If you are all for the epi f

VOTE on my Name List
    Check out my Team Green baby names! P.S. I'm not serious with any of the names
    BabyFruit Ticker
    My BFP Chart
    BFP 9/7/12, EDD 5/15/13
    MW interview said 5/17/13 and changed back to 5/15/13 after first visit
  • I did not want to spend the money on doula but I wanted the support of one. So, I did a lot of research and found a great doula-in-training. She needs to attend three births to be certified and I may be her first (due 5/20). She is also a full-time stu

• We hired one, but more so for my husband than for myself.  I was actually on the fence about it, leaning toward not having one, but my husband made a good point.  That if I'm in a place mentally where I don't want to be bothered, but if he is wo
  • All good points. Thanks for the feedback. To the pp who mentioned I may not be able to find one for May, I've actually found a couple who have calendars and availability posted online, and assuming their schedules are updated, are still available. I think
  • I've never had one and won't have one this time either.

GSx1 - 05/13/2013
    GSx2 for T&B - EDD 6/21/2015 - They're having a GIRL!

babybaby
    BabyGaga
  • I have no advice either way since I've never had one, but I just wanted to share a story about my friend's doula.  She used one with her first two girls but found a new one with her 3rd pregnancy.  She started contractions at like 8 am, the doul
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageGoMaltby18:
    I have no advice either way since I've never had one, but I just wanted to share a story about my friend's doula.
  • I had one last time and it wasn't a great experience. She was a little more unconventional than I am. My best advice would be to make sure you clearly state what your birth plan is and what will make you uncomfortable. If I had done that, I'm sure it woul
  • When I first heard of doulas I thought it was nuts to pay someone to help you through labor.  But then after meeting one a couple times (she came to my birthing class and also happened to run the tour at the hospital) we are rethinking it.  Shoc
  • We just met with a possible doula yesterday, and will be using her for the birth. I don't plan to go med-free, but am attempting a VBAC so it's really important for me to labor at home as long as possible. Also, we have no family in town, never took child
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers image image image
  • I was going to get one, but then ended up not cause I feel that my mom will be there to support me and my husband is pretty good with that sort of stuff too. If I was at all worried about my hubs not being able to do it and not having my mom there while I
  • I like the idea of it, but DH was vehemently against it.  He read something somewhere that they "get in the way" and "bother the nurses and MW/OB" and "MW/OBs do not like them" and so on.  This is despite the fact that MY MWs encourage them a

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I like the idea of it, but DH was vehemently against it.  He read something somewhere that they "get in the way" and "bother the nurses and MW/OB" and "MW/OBs do not like them" and so on.  This is despite the fact that MY MWs encourage them a

BabyFruit Ticker
  • No. I seriously considered it but don't really have the money and my husband was good last time. I am super weird about how I like to be supported and I just couldn't get 100 percent comfortable with it.
  • Yes, our hospital offers a doula for only $100 so I figure why not. i've heard they'll give you massages and stuff ;)
    MMC 02/16/12
    DS1 05/03/13
    Natural MC 10/01/14
    DD1 01/08/16
  • imageSkk1977:
    Yes, our hospital offers a doula for only $100 so I figure why not. i've heard they'll give you massages and stuff ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"