Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Choking Hazards - nearly two...

I'm probably a little overly cautious with choking hazards as DD is now 22 months old, a good chewer, with a full set of teeth.

I still cut her grapes and don't let her eat raw carrots not shredded (She hasn't had hot dogs yet but when she does they will be cut).   

I'm wondering about giving her yogurt covered raisins in her Easter eggs but am feeling a little nervous about them.  

What do you still avoid for toddlers closer to two?

Re: Choking Hazards - nearly two...

• Do you give her raisins now?  If not you could always try and see how she does.  Kendall has had them since she was 11 months or so and has never had a problem.  We always watch her when she is eating small foods, but shes great with things
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DD1 is 3 and I still cut grapes and hot dogs. They are the perfect size and shape to block a toddler or preschooler's windpipe, and I won't take that chance.

DD2 is 18 months and I just this week started letting her have raw veggies cut into thin

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • DD2 is 19 months and she LOVES yogurt raisins and regular raisins. she's had them since about 14 months now and no problems.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • we are equally cautious and have done raisins with great success for a while now. the only problem we ever have is that they tend to come out whole, which is gross! 
  • We cut up hot dogs and grapes and avoid popcorn, nuts, and thick sliced raw vegetables.

• That seems pretty cautious to me, but I'm on the low end of cautious with stuff like this.  My 14 month old eats full grapes, raisins, raw carrots, whole apples, hot dogs and pretty much anything else.  Granted she is a super eater and always ha

Daughter #1 - February 12, 2010 

natural m/c March 11, 2011 at 8 1/2 weeks 

Daughter #2 - January 11, 2012 

Ectopic pregnancy discovered November 6, 2012 at 6 weeks

Daughter #3 - January 19, 2014

Started our exploration into the world of international adoption June 2012.  We have no idea what this is going to look like but we are excited to find out!

image              image

• AZ123AZ123 member
    I give them whole stuff but I just monitor it and make sure they aren't shoving them in at the same time. Give her one and sit with her and see how she does. I wouldn't focus so much on the age as you do how she chews and the speed she goes.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Things like grapes and hot dogs are choking hazards because they are the perfect size and shape of a windpipe. It has nothing to do with how good a chewer the child is. The issue comes from accidental inhalation of one of these items - they can get lodged

• imagedhviel:
    That seems pretty cautious to me, but I'm on the low end of cautious with stuff like this.  My 14 month old eats

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagedhviel:
    That seems pretty cautious to me, but I'm on the low end of cautious with stuff like this.  My 14 month old eats
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagechardonnay24:
    Things like grapes and hot dogs are choking hazards because they are the perfect size and shape of a windpipe. I
  • I only avoid hard chewy round candy (like skittles or malted milk balls.)  All fruit, veggies, hot dogs, etc have been given by now.  I do cut hot dogs and he's eaten maybe two his whole life.  I don't buy them.  We eat raisins too

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I've learned now on my second child that you just have to eventually "try" things--only 1-2 pieces to see how they do.  He just tried popcorn at a b-day party this past weekend and I was soooooo nervous but he did fantastic!  I coudln't belie

• My daughter will not eat food that we cut small.  She has had whole hotdogs and grapes.  She will only eat a whole apple with skin on and whole, raw veggies.  She is 16 months but we did BLW so I think that played a part. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"