May 2013 Moms

MIL baby shower vent

I've posted about her before.. she's absolutely nuts!!! Anyway, about a month and a half ago, she brought up doing a meet and greet shower when baby is 2 weeks old... and my DH and I said not that soon if you're doing one of those, cause I'm not exposing my baby to all those germs at 2 weeks and he's not being passed around 30 people at that point. She freaked out and went on about whenever she tries to do anything nice for us we kick her in the face. We simply explained that I'm going to be exhausted when he's 2 weeks old, and probably won't be in much of a "party mood" so if she was going to do this type of shower to do it later on when we've settled and he will not be passed around like candy - but how can we say that without sounding like a B***t??? 

Keep in mind, this was over a month ago, and she just sent me a msg yesterday asking me if I'm available May 11 for a baby shower... I'm due May 23... I said "well I will be available if I'm not in labour!" she went on about how its the only Saturday she is available, and it has to be on a pay week. I suggested doing it on a Sunday in April because I don't want to be 38 and a half weeks pregnant at it... She said she's going out every Saturday night and therefore will be too tired to host a party on a Sunday, and that she works on Monday, so she doesn't want the clean up (she had my bridal shower on a Sunday, so I don't know what changed). I just think it's funny that she's going to be too tired to host on a Sunday when I'm probably going to be so uncomfortable and tired at 38 weeks.. Oooops, I forgot, it's all about her right? It's not my body or my child.... ughhhh!

I don't really know what to do... Am I crazy for thinking that May 11 is too late for it, or is it bad I don't want a shower when he's 2 weeks old??

Re: MIL baby shower vent

• I'd let her know that while you're very thankful for her generosity, you're not comfortable making plans that close to your due date. The end. If she wants to hold it earlier, that's her decision. Unfortunately, you can't really dictate someone else's

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I totally hear you.  And all I can say is at least she is offering to throw you a shower.  My MIL has not brought up nor at this point would I imagine she is planning a shower.  Although, now that I have heard your story, maybe it is bet

• Loading the player...
  • Why not have a meet the baby in June when it works for both you and your MIL?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imageMomlovesEloise:
    Why not have a meet the baby in June when it works for both you and your MIL?

<

• I have tried to tell her not to worry about it, over and over again, but her response is always "how would that look if I didn't throw my first grandchild a shower?" My DH replied with "it would look like you didn't plan anything and ran out of time"&n

• I might be in the minority here, but I would let her host the May 11 shower. Then if the baby comes early it's a learning lesson for her. Although it sounds like she might try and blame you for inducing labor to ruin her nice gesture.

It's a hors

BabyName Ticker
  • imageslweaver0626:

I might be in the minority here, but I would let her host the May 11 shower. Then if the baby comes early it's a

• I am going to be a first-time mom too. I would never want to expose a week old baby to 30 people at once--way too many germs. That is a very late date for a baby shower. Hopefully you will be fine. I was at a shower where the girl was 10 days from her

• If the gesture is not a happy one for the giver and receiver, you should thank her for the thought and decline having her host.
  • I so feel for you. My MIL is such a selfish person that I could totally see her doing this. I agree that having the shower that close to your due date is stupid and I agree with no meet and greet. My SIL's baby shower is going to be about 3 weeks after

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Yeah... if it doesn't work for you, decline the shower. Say thank you for offering but no thank you, this obviously isn't going to work, as DH does not want a meet and greet and you are uncomfortable with having something so close to your EDD. If she insi
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Why can't she attend your first baby shower?   I've had similar issues and agree with you about not doing it right away.
  • Ha, you just sound like an incredibly patient person to me.  I would have stopped trying to cooperate with her a long time ago.  
  • imageMichelle3081:
    Why can't she attend your first baby shower?   I've had similar issues and agree with you about n
  • Thanks for all the advice!! I am definitely going to try and decline her offer... We will see how it goes! It's really not a party for me anyway, its a show and a reason for her to get her friends together and drink... So she can go ahead and do that when
  • 6 weeks is when I did DDs with every one and their mother there to see her, it was still super exhausting but I dont regret doing it.

If she decides she wants to put requierments on you that you dont want just politely decline.

andplusals

photo b6d12d4a-3c41-4686-a0af-8cf854f979e4_zpsffdadc4c.jpg Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"