Baby Showers
Options

Memory Book

My husband and I are expecting our first baby, a little girl, in June.  She is the first grandchild for both sides of the family and is already on her way to being completely spoiled.  However, I feel there is a lot she will miss.  While she will have my dad and stepmother and my husband's mother in her life, my mother, stepfather, and my husband's father have all passed away.  (I should mention that I was very close with my stepfather and considered him to be my dad.)

I am looking for a way to preserve their memories and give her a keepsake when she gets older.  My idea is to have family and close family friends contribute to a memories book at the baby shower with pictures, letters, or written memories they have of the grandparents.  

Does anyone have any suggestions for how I can do this tactfully?  By this I mean, I don't want my college friends writing something like "I met your mom once. She seemed nice." I want things that will be truly meaningful from those that were closest with our baby's grandparents.  

Also, does anyone have other suggestions for things that could be contributed to the book?

This is something that is very important to my husband and me.  We both had relationships with all of our grandparents in childhood, and we want our little girl to benefit from as much as possible.   

Re: Memory Book

• Options
    If you just want it to be from family members and close friends who actually knew your mom and step-dad well, then I would ask them for what you're wanting but keep it separate from the baby shower.  If you include it in the baby shower, then those w
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I wouldn't do this at your shower if you are going to have people there that weren't close to the deceased.  There really isn't a polite way to ask them not to participate, and they're going to feel pressed to contribute whatever memories they hav

BabyFetus Ticker; Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't have much to contribute, but I just wanted to say that I absolutely love this idea. My dad passed away a year and a half ago, very unexpectedly. My brother's kids will have memories of their Papa, but this is our first baby and I want to make sure
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Ask those that knew your Mom and stepfather to do a scrapbook page about their favorite memory/ picture. That would actually be the easiest.But don't do it for the shower or everyone will feel compelled to do it and you will get the "I once met your Mo

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"