April 2013 Moms

Group b strep test

Okay so I have a group's b strep test tomorrow. I read somewhere that they use vaginal and rectal swabs. Is this how its done? I'm just curious, because I don't know why they would do both. Probably a silly question but I'm a first time mom!

Re: Group b strep test

• They do both and it takes two seconds. You don't feel a thing. 
  • Because they are checking both areas for strep.

It's like two seconds and about as uncomfortable as using a q tip in your ear. I didn't even bat an eye.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes, they typically swab both because the bacteria can be found in the vagina and/or the rectum.

• Just had mine done last Friday, it was literally 2 seconds. Easy peasy!
  • From my understanding, they test both because it is VERY common to poop during delivery, in which case transmission could happen. 

Two seconds, and it's painless. If you are positive, you just need antibiotics during labor. No w

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • It's a sinch, they just run this big q tip over the skin of both areas. 
  • elbouelbou member
    imageJSS1002:
    Because they are checking both areas for strep. It's like two seconds and about as uncomfortable as using a q tip in

• One q-tip like item is inserted about an inch into your vagina, and then the same q tip is brushed against your perineum and rectum - no rectal insertion. 

My midwife practice gave me the q-tip like item and explained how to do it,

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • thank yall!! It doesnt sound so bad now!
  • imageFrecklesInside:
    They do both and it takes two seconds. You don't feel a thing. 

This.

• I haven't been able to make it to my appointment for the Group B Strep Test... but i've read on google that they swab around the 2 areas and you're done.

If I were to go into Labor without having this test done, woul

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagemisskadyanne:

I haven't been able to make it to my appointment for the Group B Strep Test... but i've read on google that they

The word you're looking for is SEX.  I promise.  No, it's not gender.  It's sex.  You're welcome.
  • imagemypalbabs:
    imagemisskadyann
    Met: 1/21/2005
    Married: 6/27/2008
    DS: 3/14/2010 Planned, PG first try
    M/C 6/2012
    DD: 4/22/2013 Planned, UnDx Infertility, PG on our own
    BFP: 10/28/2016 Unplanned, HUGE SURPRISE! 
    M/C 12/12/2016
    BFP: 10/27/2017 Unplanned, HUGE SURPRISE
    EDD: 7/2/2018

Babysizer Manly Pregnancy Tracker
  • imagemypalbabs:
    imagemisskadyann
    Met: 1/21/2005
    Married: 6/27/2008
    DS: 3/14/2010 Planned, PG first try
    M/C 6/2012
    DD: 4/22/2013 Planned, UnDx Infertility, PG on our own
    BFP: 10/28/2016 Unplanned, HUGE SURPRISE! 
    M/C 12/12/2016
    BFP: 10/27/2017 Unplanned, HUGE SURPRISE
    EDD: 7/2/2018

Babysizer Manly Pregnancy Tracker
  • imageelbou:
    imageJSS1002:</stron
  • imagemisskadyanne:

I haven't been able to make it to my appointment for the Group B Strep Test... but i've read on google that t

• I just found out that I'm Strep B positive, and what they're going to do is administer an IV with antibiotics during labor.

If it goes untreated, you can pass it on to your child and it can be harmful for them. My Dr. said that the antibio

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • i had mine yesterday and he just did a vag swab, or if he did both i didnt feel the other.. :/ but he also just told me it was vag swab.. so idk..

• There were two q-tips, I felt the vaginal one but didn't even know he had done the rectal one.   I was expecting internal swabbing I guess, but they just rub it around the outside of both areas.   NBD.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"