Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Help with DS in social situations

I don't post a lot anymore, mainly because I am so busy. I have a question/concern and please forgive me if it sounds silly, but I really want to do whats best.

DS#1 is very cautious, I guess is the best word to describe him. At home, he is perfectly fine, acts outgoing and talkative, because he is in his element. Whenever we go somewhere he clams up. He is fine if I am holding him, but if a sales person says "hi" to him, he tells them no, and looks away. If we are at the library, and sit down next to other people he will cry because we are too close to others. Some of it, I think is from being inside a lot this winter due to it being freaking cold and having a baby ( I SAH), and I am hoping zoo trips, and outings to the pool will help him. I figured being around other people in open areas would help. But I worry, that it may be the wrong thing? DS is such a sweet boy, and I get sad that people miss out on his great personality. 

Are there any books, or any recommendations on how to help DS be more comfortable in social settings?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker *First RE visit 5/10 *B/W & SA Normal! 6/10 *Laprascopy - Removed septum and cyst 7/10 *50 mg Clomid 8/21 +Trigger 9/1 = BFN *50 mg Clomid 9/17 = No response *100 mg Clomid 9/29 + Trigger 10/8= BFP!! *Beta 1= 297 *Beta 2= 612! *It's a Boy! EDD July 4th 2011 *Surprise!! Natural BFP! Beta 1=306, Beta 2= 1100! EDD Aug 18th 2012! IT's a BOY!

Re: Help with DS in social situations

• Hey, fellow Ohioan!

I think once you get out and start going to places like you said, zoo, pool, etc it will help.

Have you ever tried going to story time or kindermusik?  I SAH, too and I find that going to a few short outings in a we

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Our LO is really outgoing, and sometimes I wish he had a little more stranger danger...anyway I'm not sure how to address this, but I read somewhere recently that it hinders a child if they hear you introduce them as shy...kind of a manifest destiny fo

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Anniversary
  • Loading the player...
  • Your son sounds a lot like mine :) I SAH too and worry he's not getting enough social interaction. Just last week we had a play date and he melted down anytime the other kids were loud. It was a total bummer.

We do music class once a week and I t

One direction photo: One Direction gif onedirectiongifmacarenaey_zpsbdaf903f.gif
    DS born 3.12 
    DD born 7.14
  • imagelisamoe:

Hey, fellow Ohioan!

My oldest and yours also share the same Bday, at least jud

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker *First RE visit 5/10 *B/W & SA Normal! 6/10 *Laprascopy - Removed septum and cyst 7/10 *50 mg Clomid 8/21 +Trigger 9/1 = BFN *50 mg Clomid 9/17 = No response *100 mg Clomid 9/29 + Trigger 10/8= BFP!! *Beta 1= 297 *Beta 2= 612! *It's a Boy! EDD July 4th 2011 *Surprise!! Natural BFP! Beta 1=306, Beta 2= 1100! EDD Aug 18th 2012! IT's a BOY!
  • imageNetty_3:

Our LO is really outgoing, and sometimes I wish he had a little more stranger danger...anyway I'm not sure how to add

• And just wanted to add, I don't tell people that he is shy. Because, to me, he isn't ( at least not when were at home). People have made comments like "oh he must be tired" or something like that due to him not jumping up and down and saying hello to ever
  • DD is much the same way.  She is VERY slow to warm up.

What has helped her the most is small toddler classes (think, 3-4 other kids, if possilbe) where I stay there with her the whole time.  It takes her *months* to warm up to the teach

IMG_8355
  • imageTiffanyBerry:

DD is much the same way.  She is VERY slow to warm up.

What has helped her the most is small toddler

• imagelindslalala:

Your son sounds a lot like mine :) I SAH too and worry he's not getting enough social interaction. Just last week

Married 02.06.10
    DS1 born 11.19.11
    DS2 born 07.02.14

• Also...you may try finding a mommy and baby group to do things with. There are a ton on meetup.com. they have ones for wm or sah and both. Its been a great way for both lo and I to make new friends and know about things going on around town.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Anniversary
  • Sometimes, it was luck.  Then it's a lot of learning about them from other teachers and parents.  We did a signing class at our local kids museum for a number of months that had a variable number of kids.  We're doing a farm class put on

IMG_8355
  • Oh leave her alone. My little guy pooped on me tonight and I thought it was the cutest funniest thing ever. Every mom wants to believe their baby is the best at everything. And they all are!
  • OP, your situation is totally normal. There's some information in What to Expect the Second Year about this. I'm going through this with E too. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"