February 2013 Moms

Birth Plan Retrospection Survey

Did your birth go along with your Birth Plan? Yes, no, not at all?

My plan was for an un-medicated natural birth and I ended up with a heavily medicated c-section. Just curious, looking back, how many of us had similar experiences...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Birth Plan Retrospection Survey

• My birth plan went out the window five days before E was born... when they scheduled my induction, lol. That aside, it was a wonderful, amazing experience, and I can't wait to try again!
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• The first baby, I didn't even write a birth plan. I just kind of went in planning to go with the flow. I ended with an induction that landed me in the operating room for a csection.

Second baby, I totally wrote out a birth plan. My husba

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I had a typed out "plan" the first time around, and I forgot it on the way to the hospital. I still knew what I wanted and talked to the nurses and my doctor about things as we went along.  I didn't even bother this time, but since I had to get
    photo 997d7ce2-9f44-4a90-b78f-0ddf5f488d41_zps82d963f4.jpg
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Wanted an intervention free water birth at home, and that's what I got! Couldn't be happier.
  • With dd, I planned to have an unmediated vaginal birth, and bf right away. I had what started as an unmedicated csection, that went to general anesthesia.  They had to give her formula before I woke up.

this time, I wanted to vbac, hopefully

• Although I discussed my birth plan with my OB, it didn't even make it out of my bag at the hospital.

The nurses were very supportive of the fact that I wanted to go med-free and allowed me to labor however I was comfortable. That being said, once

BabyFruit Ticker
  • With DD1 I had wanted to try med-free but wasn't going to kick myself if I ended up with an epi. Instead, I got an unplanned c/s at 34w because of HELLP.

With DD2, I wanted to try a VBAC (the default option around here) but ended up needing anoth

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• I didn't really have a birth plan.  I was terrified of pain and wanted the option of an epi as soon as possible and wanted to avoid Pitocin (more because of my fear of painful contractions than anything else).  I also wanted to walk as much a

• I didn't really have a plan. I wanted to void a c section of course, but I would have been okay with whatever was needed to safely get the baby out. I knew I was most likely going to get an epidural, and I did. I was able to have a vaginal delivery. The o
    PCOS with long, irregular cycles
    First round of Clomid in May 2012= BFP #1, DD born January 2013 
    BFP #2 in January 2014, DS born September 2014

View Full Size Image     View Full Size Image   

• I just planned on showing up and getting him out without pain meds. I did but I also planned on it hurting way less than the first time which it didn't.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I didn't write a birth plan but I planned an all natural water birth in a freestanding birth center and that's exactly what I got. It was amazing and I love thinking about that experience. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Our Sweet Boy "LJ"
  • DS1 had plan for unmedicated birth with immediate skin to skin, bfing, and no eye goop. It went exactly as planned with the exception of an episiotomy. My Dr "made a little extra room".

DS2 had another unmedicated birth planned same as above
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We didn't even manage to bring our birth plan to the hospital. I kept meaning to print it out and didn't and then we were in such a rush getting out the door that we didn't even think of it. But everything went great and I wouldn't have changed a thing. W
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "Sometimes,' said Pooh, 'the smallest things take up the most room in your heart."
    Lucy Kate 2/9/13
    m/c 12/30/11 - our Christmas baby
  • I had a birth plan before I hit 42 weeks and had to be induced. I had a feeling nothing would go as I hoped. And it didn't, lol. I'm like you, OP, and hoped for a pain med-free birth, but ended up going under general anesthesia for an emergency c-secti

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My plan was a medfree, natural birth at the hospital. I had a very detailed plan and I was very happy that my dr okayed everything. It went flying out the window when I failed to progress when my waters broke and DS's heart rate kept dropping. Ended up wi
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I had planned on just relying on narcotics for pain, but without ruling out the possibility of an epidural. Also was hoping to labor at home for as long as possible and avoid any medical interventions.

At the end of the day, we were induced at 41

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Pretty much.  I planned a HB.  It ended up being unassisted but I was at home, so I guess I got my birth wish.

• RacieRacie member
    The only thing that really wasn't part of my plan was being in labor for 28.5 hours.  :)

Seriously though, I had a pretty detailed plan and I am so glad I did because when the unexpected happened the nurses and midwife knew what my preferences
    BabyFetus Ticker

• I did not do a birth plan with either one. I just went into it with FX that I wouldn't need a C section.
    With DS1, I was induced because he was 2 weeks late and I never went into labor. I waited until I was 7cm then got an epi. After pushing f
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • My plan was pretty much just to do what felt right at the time. The vonly thing i didnt really want was morphine which i ended up getting anyway, thinking i would be there all day, and i gave birth 3.5 hours later! I wanted an epi but never got one becaus
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Nope, but mine was loosely "go with the flow vaginal birth plan." I was induced at 40 wks 2d due to getting pre-e. failed 48-hr induction led to c-section. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    20120611-154610-DSC_5742 imageimage
  • Mine was pretty close.  I was shooting for an un-medicated vaginal birth, and I didn't want to be hooked up to an IV.  Well, I got my vaginal birth and they let me do a hep lock instead of being hooked up to an IV the whole time, but after 3+

• With 2-3 very minor issues, we stuck to my birth plan of a med-free, intervention-free birth.  I feel so grateful.  The only things that took place that I didn't want were: 1) I ended up having my membranes swept at my 40 week appt. (and this wa
    DS born February 5, 2013

Need tips for surviving cat allergies? Check out my bio! :)

• The short answer: no

The plan was to labour at home as long as possible, then to the hospital, get the epi and vaginal delivery.

Contractions started at 5 min apart. Headed to hospital within a couple of hours. No time for the
  • Not at all. I wanted a natural birth, delayed procedures, Bf right away, etc.

I was induced after failure to progress when my water broke. The miso made my contractions too much to handle, so I got the epidural after about two hours of excru

I like cookies.

• I did not have one and wanted to go with the flow. It was easier that way.
  • Ya know it's funny, I was just thinking about this today.

With my DS--my birth plan was vague & I really didn't know what I wanted. I ended up with an pitocin, an epidural, and a horrible tear. I knew after his delivery I wanted somethi

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
    1/1 Spotting, 1/3 beta 36,000, 1/5 u/s empty sac measuring 7w (9w5d), 1/6 d&c
    You will always be loved & missed our sweet angel.
  • We expected I'd be having a C-section due to Baby A (Alexa) being breech.  That's what ended up happening!
    imageimage
    TTC #1 since May 2010. BFP #1 - 5/31/10; m/c on 7/22/10
    Started seeing RE in August 2011
    5 IUIs: BFN; IVF #1 - Success! BFP - 7/25/12 Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Everything was better than I could have planned.

I was unprepared for how out of control labor made me feel, but I don't think it was really possible to prepare for that.

The only thing I would have done differently was to start acupunctur

• Yes, for wanting a homebirth so badly and having that go out the window (well before labor), I had a wonderful hospital birth. Completely natural, with a fabulous midwife. Everything on my birth plan happened, except dh didn't catch the baby because I

• I guess I got the birth I wanted which was an un-medicated but that was because I labored at home for so long so when I got to the hospital I was already at 10cm. But while I was laboring I kept saying I'm getting the epidural. Overall I loved my birth

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"