Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Wondering how common this is

One of my good friends just had her second son on Friday. He weighed 11lbs 5 oz. I was shocked. She didn't have GD or any complication, just wondering how common babies this large are. Anyone have a baby this large or know anyone that has? Her first son weighed 9lbs 9oz, and yes they were both Csections. 

Re: Wondering how common this is

• I'm not sure how common it is per se, but according to my OB, having large babies is usually due to genetics. My son was born at just past 37 weeks and he weighed 8lbs 7oz at birth, which isnt huge, but for him being early, its on the bigger side. She tol
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My boys were 10lb 4oz and 10lb 15oz (we will see tomorrow how big this one is). Cousin's baby was 11lb 3oz. I wouldn't say 11lbs is unusual...if you plugged in any weight into a birth weight percentile calculator it would tell you percentage of babies bo
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Oh and of 3 babies I just mentioned none were GD. Mine were both at 39 weeks.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageCougFan:
    My boys were 10lb 4oz and 10lb 15oz (we will see tomorrow how big this one is). Cousin's baby was 11lb 3oz. I wouldn
  • That's pretty big, but about the size my cousin was... Vaginal birth, no GD, and aunt is only 5ft2in. Can not imagine!!! My smallest was 8lb3oz and 2 weeks early, my biggest 9lb14oz... Bigger, but not that big!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • In my friend's family, no baby is born under 11 lbs. They just make them big! 
    EDD#1 12/5/12 Born 11/21/12 My LB is better than your LB.BrittanyDoesDerby 4 LYFE!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    EDD#2 2.20.16 I love you already! <3

BabyFruit Ticker
    FEB16 Siggy Challenge Fave TV mom
  • My grandmother had my both boys at just shy of 11 lbs and my aunt was 12 lbs 4 oz.  Its not overly common but it is becoming more so these days. I have two friends who have both had 11 + babies though one was a GD case.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • My nephew was born at 41 weeks at just shy of 10lbs.  My sil is a twin and my brother was 4 week premature so really they had no way to know how big their son could be from their sizes.  I think bigger babies are becoming more common especially
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I don't know anyone irl who had a baby that big.

BFP 11/09 - DD 7/10 - BFP 8/11 - M/C 9/11 - BFP 6/12 - DD - 2/13

• One of my high school friends weighed over 12 pounds when he was born.  The thought of carrying and giving birth to a baby that big puts the fear of God in my heart.  In my family, we have small babies, so I do kind of think it is hereditary. &n
  • LO was born at 39w6d and weighed 8lbs 3oz and everyone we know thought that was absolutely huge. And then they would see him and say "he's not that big"- well yes, because 8lbs isn't that big!!!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • imageMrsT0514:
    I'm not sure how common it is per se, but according to my OB, having large babies is usually due to genetics. My son
    "Little seahorse/Floating on a primal tide/Quickening like a/Spark in a haystack side/I already love you/And I don't even know who you are" -Bruce Cockburn BabyFetus TickerLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BOOKWORMS and BUTTERFLIES
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"