Working Moms

Any night shift nurses here?

Hi! I have a 1 year old and we are trying for another. I recently mde a career change and went back to nursing school. I can't stand the thought of being gone from 7am to 7pm 3-4 days a week with two young ones at home. Should I work nights instead? I know I would have to get childcare for the morning so I can sleep, but I won't be asleep all day at least.

Any thoughts, suggestions, experience would be helpful!! Thanks!!

Re: Any night shift nurses here?

• I know ppl do it but I personally would have trouble switching between the days when I worked at night and the days when i slept at night. I also can't go consistently with only 5 hrs or so of sleep. When I was in graduate school I did 2 nights a week

• I'm a nurse and although I love night shift, I don't do well switching back to days when I'm off. But, I do have plenty of friends who it works well for. 12 hour shifts do suck on the days you work, but you end up with way more time off to spend with yo
    Loving Life being Brett's Mama! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm a nurse manager. I worked consistent night shifts but before I had kids. Lots of moms do it out of choice or need.

As a manager, I work nights to see my night shift staff 12 times a month. I have a 3 year old and 10 week old. Still home
  • imageMrsN052408:
    I'm a nurse manager. I worked consistent night shifts but before I had kids. Lots of moms do it out of choice or n
  • I was on nights before I had kids. I hated it. I was always sleep deprived, I would imagine it would be way worse with little ones too. A lot of moms on nights would be up for 24 hours straight all the time. I personally think my 11a to 11p shift was
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • It's not as convenient as you think, especially if you work 12 hour shifts.  My SIL does this and she is wrecked all.the.time.  She gets home around 8am and sleeps for a few hours (and by a few, I mean like, 5 while a nanny is there).  B

Formerly known as elmoali :)

• imagesi_jennifer:

imageMrsN05
  • I'm not a nurse and I do not work night shifts, but I do works 12 hour shifts.  You pretty much have to accept that you won't get alot done on the days you work.   I work from 8am to 8pm.  I get home and basically snuggle my baby fo

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagesi_jennifer:

imageMrsN052408
    Loving Life being Brett's Mama! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Not every hospital has a residency program. They are expensive to run. Most academic centers will have them. Non teaching, small community hospitals may not.

If you were a strong candidate I would not worry about you being pregnant. I want t
  • To answer both your questions:

As soon as I found out I was pregnant, I asked my manager for a shift change. I knew that night shift and a newborn just would not work out for me. This is because my husband also worked nights on 12 hour shi

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm a nurse and I work 3 12 hour shifts from 6pm-6:30am.  It works really well for our family.  DH works days, DS is in school.  DD goes to DC PT.  If I worked days, I'd have to co-ordinate someone to be at my house early...like 5am

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm a nurse and have worked 12 hour night shift for three years and wounldn't change it for the world! I have a 12 month old and i feel that if I worked day shift I would never see him. He sleeps from 7pm-8am (so my entire shift) I get to see him in the m
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm a nurse working day shift and honestly, unless you're planning on sleep depriving yourself, you would lose just as much time with your child on nights as you would days. I hate not seeing my DD for very long the days I work but I get 4 days home with

• My BFF is a night shift nurse with 2 young kids- 1yr and 2.5yrs. It's a lot harder than it seems working at night.  You still need to get a reasonable amount of sleep.  You can't get by for more than like a day of staying up all night an

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I'm a lurker here, so I hope you don't mind me posting. I did night shift for about a year after DD was born. I had my mom come and watch her aftery shift so I could sleep. That was fine. What was hard was getting sleep before my shift. DD was not the gre
    TTC #1 since 05/09
    Me: Oligomenorrhea (workup for PCOS turned out to be negative)
    DH: 1st SA 11/09: good volume but only 20% normal

Cycle #1: Clomid 50mg=No O
    1/10 2nd SA (this time at the fertility clinic): PERFECT!!!
    1/10 My Tests: HSG All clear! B/W is normal!
    2/10 Started Acupuncture

Cycle #2: 100 mg Clomid CD4-CD8 trigger TI Progesterone=BFN
    Cycle #3: 100 mg Clomid CD3-CD7 trigger TI Progesterone=BFP!
    Beta 1=144 Beta 2=359 Beta 3=637

My Scrambled Eggs

Surprise BFP January 2012! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thank you all for your responses!! I will have to sit down with my H and figure something out that works for us. Hopefully I can make the right decision.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"