Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Intro / Sleeping question???

Hello All,

FTM here! My DD (Bailee Addison) was born on February 3, 2013 (she will be 6 weeks on Sunday),  8 pounds, 7 ounces, 21 inches long. After an incredible easy pregnancy and labor and delivery (only in labor for 15 hours and pushed for an hour, which is extremely short considering she was my first!) she is healthy and happy (for the most part) and we are very lucky!

My question is regarding her sleeping habits. My DH (who has an 8 year old from a previous relationship) says that we need to only let her sleep 3-4 hours during the day and keep her up till about 10 or 11 pm and then put her to bed then, I think she should sleep whenever she is tired because regardless of when she sleeps she is still going to wake up in the middle of the night (and since I have not gone back to work yet, I'm the one waking up with her during the night). Anyone have the same situation going on or any advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

Re: Intro / Sleeping question???

• Hi. Congrats on an easy pregnancy and labor. My DS came on the first of February and I let him sleep whenever he feels like it. I also don't wake him to feed him. He's gaining weight at a good rate, so I don't personally feel he needs to be awaken.&nbs

• No, you definitely can't keep a 6 week old baby awake all day and have them sleep well at night. An overtired baby will be unable to sleep at night. And getting that little sleep at this age will interfere with your baby's growth and development. At this
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • DS is 10 weeks and I let him sleep whenever he wants.  I figure if he's sleeping, he's tired and needs sleep.  Trying to keep your daughter up during the day so she'll sleep at night could lead to an over tired little one, which would make it ev
  • babies that sleep more tend to sleep more - keeping her up will make for an overly tired and cranky baby. Babies that young should only be awake for 45 min - 90 min before going to bed again.

My little man at 0-1-2
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin me baby!
    BabyFruit Ticker http://mamasaywhat.com/

• imagepenguingrrl:
    No, you definitely can't keep a 6 week old baby awake all day and have them sleep well at night. An overtired bab
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • I too had a text book pregnancy and a wonderful delivery.  I only labored for 8 "not so painful" hours, and pushed for an hour. I really enjoyed the whole labor process actually.

Our LO is almost 10 weeks.  A f

BFP#1 -3/18/12- M/C 3/31/12,
    BFP#2 -4/25/12, Beta#1 17dpo= 800, Beta#2 20dpo= 3800, Ethan James born 1-5-13

BFP#3- February 2015- natural miscarriage

BFP#4- June 2015- Ruptured ectopic, severe hemorrhage and loss of left tube on 7/10/2015

BFP#5- 12/18/15

• imageLas135:
    I too had a text book pregnancy and a wonderful delivery.nbsp; I only labored fornbsp;8 "not so painful" hours, and pushed
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Are you saying letting baby sleep total 3-4 hours during the day or nap times of 3-4 hours a day? The nap times make sense. We don't wake my DD much but we set a limit of 3 hour naps during the day. We start our night time routine of feeding at about 1

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    September 2015 Siggy Challenge - Happy Dance
  • imageLas135:

Our LO is almost 10 weeks.  A few weeks ago, I didn't think I would ever get my DS to sleep throug

• I'm a FTM too so I'm learning as I go too! I can tell you what's working for me based on all the advice/things I've read here on Bump. DS is almost 8 weeks. I let him eat and sleep when he wants and just follow his cues. Babies this young cannot be spo

• We started when he was about 7 weeks old and it took about 5 days for him to fully adjust. And trust me, I am a FTM and was totally thinking that I would NEVER get him to sleep through the night.  Now I think he starts to look forward to the

BFP#1 -3/18/12- M/C 3/31/12,
    BFP#2 -4/25/12, Beta#1 17dpo= 800, Beta#2 20dpo= 3800, Ethan James born 1-5-13

BFP#3- February 2015- natural miscarriage

BFP#4- June 2015- Ruptured ectopic, severe hemorrhage and loss of left tube on 7/10/2015

BFP#5- 12/18/15

• In the beginning, they are going to sleep regardless, they're so tired (generally).  I think every baby is different so you have to really evaluate your own LO.  That being said - I let DS sleep whenever he was tired and he was a horrible sleepe
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thank you everyone for the advice, I think I finally convinced DH to let her sleep when she's tired (she's actually asleep right now!). I hope it helps her sleep longer and make it easier for her to fall back to sleep at night! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"