Stay at Home Moms

Friday Discussion kids and weddings

For mobile: kid and weddings.Tell me to stop being so butthurt about the ever so controversial kids and weddings topic. Sorry it tl,dr.

The backstory: BIL gets engaged at Christmas and announce a month later, via email, they are getting married in march. Actually, MIL sent a mass email to everyone asking for a headcount so they could book a venue. Wedding will be in the state where Bride's parents live so everyone is traveling to be there. And we live in a separate state with no family nearby.

So, MIL calls us excited because yay weddings and all. We're excited too and start talking about details, flights time off etc. She tells us no kids invited which includes our two, 2.5 and 9 months.

I had no kids at my wedding but there were no kids in the family or friends at the time. Before having kids, I understood that desire but didn't understand what it really meant. After kids, nbd to me. So, DH and I are a little butthurt but we wait to talk to the bride and groom before any decisions are made. We call and BIL wants DH to be best man, which he is.

Basically BIL, SIL AND MIL are all in agreement no kids because they will and I quote "take away from the bride's day". So fine, I'm sad that MIL and BIL don't want them there but it is what it is. MIL guilt tripped me by saying I needed to go and support bride and I'm rude for not going.

I opted to not go rather than hiring a baby sitter in a different state because my DD has major separation issues. I've never left her with anyone and she won't even let inlaws or my parents hold her because they are in a sense strangers to her. I mean, that's a lot of money to spend to get there and I wouldn't enjoy myself while my kid/s screamed. And by not inviting my kids, they essentially excluded me too. DH left today so I'm butthurt all over again.

FWIW, wedding is at 10am and at a garden with buffet.

So what say you, am I overly sensitive or was it a low blow?

Sorry for typos, typing with one hand!

Re: Friday Discussion kids and weddings

• Everyone is different but we had zero kids at ours except SIL's two kids. I didnt want children taking over the dance floor, and in our case it was packed with our guests. Also it was a night for parents to let loose so that was awesome for a lot of pe

"You and me together can do anything, baby!!" DMB
    Married October 16th, 2010
    TTC #1 since October 2010
    1st BFP 1-12-11
    MC'd 1-22-11
    2nd BFP 2-15-11
    Our Wee One....**KENNEDY JO** born 10/3/11@ 36weeks via Csection
    My BFP Chart
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Labor Buddy to **MRS.ATCH** Welcome Quinn 11-5-11**
  • I do think it can be a little weird when a brother's, sister's, or BIL/SIL's kids aren't invited to a wedding, even if it is a more elegant venue. I get the no kids at a wedding thing, but when they're your own nieces or nephews? Come on.

My kids

daughter born June 2011 via C-Section, son born November 2012 via VBAC
  • Loading the player...
  • Honestly? I think you're the brat here, not them. 
  • I'm of the opinion that while it's well within a couple's rights to not have kids at their wedding, I honestly find it lame.  I would never tell that to someone who wanted no kids, but TBH I really do find it lame and unnecessary.  I've never

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • My brother didn't invite our kids to his wedding either.  No other children were invited, but there were no other children to invite (her sisters didn't have any kids). 

I was also hurt. Honestly, I am still hurt by it, and I really di

• imageI Heart The 80s:
    THis topic always gets me so fired up. Why would a parents WANT to take their 2 year old to a wedding? That s

Daughter #1 - February 12, 2010 

natural m/c March 11, 2011 at 8 1/2 weeks 

Daughter #2 - January 11, 2012 

Ectopic pregnancy discovered November 6, 2012 at 6 weeks

Daughter #3 - January 19, 2014

Started our exploration into the world of international adoption June 2012.  We have no idea what this is going to look like but we are excited to find out!

image              image

• imageI Heart The 80s:

I had 8 bridesmaids. Each had 2 kids. 8 groomsmen, most with kids. None of them wanted to bring their childre

• The wedding is at 10am in the morning.

I'm not sure how I could have done trial runs...to clarify, my parents also don't live near us. We had 2.5 months notice between engagement and wedding.

So what, fly my mom to my house for a
  • imageI Heart The 80s:
    Why would a parents WANT to take their 2 year old to a wedding? That sounds like zero fun. We had a cocktail
    *My Blog*

10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Not inviting kids to a wedding is not a personal slight. It's either an atmosphere choice or a way to keep numbers down (either to stay within the headcount limits at your venue or to keep costs lower), either way it's fine. I'm never hurt when someone do
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageamy052006:
    All I hear in this post is, "I didn't have kids at my wedding but now I am a special snowflake with a special situation"
  • I am in 100% agreement with I Heart the 80's.  We have a black tie wedding next month for my niece and my kids were invited.  There is no chance I would bring them.  None. 

I cannot understand why people take this so personall

DS 3.12.08
    DD 7.11.09
    DD 8.01.13
  • imageI Heart The 80s:

I had 8 bridesmaids. Each had 2 kids. 8 groomsmen, most with kids. None of them wanted to bring their childre

Started our exploration into the world of international adoption June 2012.  We have no idea what this is going to look like but we are excited to find out!

image              image

• Sigh, I guess I should have asked this 2.5 months ago.

I wonder if I would have wanted my nephew at my wedding had he been born.
  • imagemissmodeste:
    The wedding is at 10am in the morning. I'm not sure how I could have done trial runs...to clarify, my parents
  • imagebananabelle:
    That seems spiteful.

Oh she is totally trying to teach them a lesson...too bad the

• imageMrsMuq:
    imageI Heart The 80
  • imageMrsMuq:
    imageKateMW:</stron
  • I think they're totally within their rights to want a child-free wedding (same as you did) but I also think that you're totally within your rights to decline to attend if the logistics of it don't work for you. If I'm understanding you correctly, you eith
  • imageI Heart The 80s:
    imagedhvie

image              image

• I can see how it would bug you, but it's their wedding and I get the no kids thing for sure. True story my friend just got married and she went out of her way to tell me several times my kids weren't invited. I was never going to bring them anyway and the
    Gabriel 11/04/09 Vincent 9/17/11 Grace 8/02/13
  • imageI Heart The 80s:
    imageMrsMu
  • imageMrs.Hizzo:
    I think they're totally within their rights to want a child-free wedding (same as you did) but I also think that you'r
    Gabriel 11/04/09 Vincent 9/17/11 Grace 8/02/13
  • Everyone has the right to decide who they want at their wedding. I call BS on the fact that you could not have figured out a way to pump a bag or two of milk in 2 months. You choose to go this route to be passive aggressive which is the least attractive t
  • I don't much mind if children are invited or not; I'm in the "their wedding, their choice" camp.

However, what I do mind, is the continuous BADGERING by the MOG and grand-MOG about not coming.
    The respect should go both ways.  The

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageAndrewsgal:
    Everyone has the right to decide who they want at their wedding. I call BS on the fact that you could not have fig
  • I don't really care either way, but this situation happened to us this past summer. We had a 6 month old and I was EBF and we didn't really care about the wedding anyway (DH's first cousin.) I think if the bride and groom want to specify no kids, that'

*Bumping since 2007*
    had to change my sn :) TTC # 1 since Jan 06
    Miracle Baby #1 - March 2012
    Miracle Baby #2 - June 2013
  • I have never been to an adults only wedding.

I think it is rude of THEM to expect you to travel for their wedding and to expect you to leave your two small children with strangers.

• imageKateMW:
    Honestly? I think you're the brat here, not them.nbsp;

this all the way. dont be surprised

Natural M/c 12/13/08 at 8w5d 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageKimbus22:

I don't really get no child weddings.  It's a family celebration, no?  

</BLOCKQUOT
  • Honestly, I did go to a wedding with my kids. Its really not as great as you think it would be.  Same as you, it was for my ILs.  I had a 5 yo and a ebf 1 yo.

It was great getting to see everyone but since it was my husband's famil
    _____________________________________________________________________________

SAHM to 4 kiddos... K (5/05), N (4/09), C (11/10) and Baby A 1/13/14

• Overly sensitive. Your children do not ned to be included in every single activity. There are plenty of occasions where children should be left at home. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageKateMW:
    imageKimbus22:</str
    DD 5.2009 DS 6.2011
  • imagediscobelle:

I agree that it's their wedding, their choice, but the part about how it would "take away from the brides day" mak

• Just a little post wedding update to further the debate.

She had a flower girl and ring bearer. They look about 5/6ish. No idea who they are related to, she's an only child.

Does this change anything for anyone?
  • imageKateMW:
    Honestly? I think you're the brat here, not them. 

This. 

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • imagemissmodeste:
    Just a little post wedding update to further the debate. She had a flower girl and ring bearer. They look abo
    image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • imagemissmodeste:
    Just a little post wedding update to further the debate. She had a flower girl and ring bearer. They look abo
    *My Blog*

10/50 Read

my read shelf:
  • imageHarrietNJMommy:

imagemis
    *My Blog*

10/50 Read

my read shelf:
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"