Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Not to start anything--just out of curiosity (car seat related)

I'm not trying to start anything here--just curious how many have flipped their toddler forwards in the car a little before the age of 2 and why?

With DS1 (who is 4) the rule was 1 yr--we flipped him around 14-15 months

For DS2 who is ginormous and people can't believe he's not 2 when I tell them, I feel like it's just 'time'--but then I've seen those youtube videos and such and I feel super mommy guilt about it.

He will turn 2 beginning of May--but thinking (somewhat) of turning him in the next week or two. 

Re: Not to start anything--just out of curiosity (car seat related)

• I'd think about what, specifically, is making you feel it's time.  I know you said he's really big but there are kids who rear face until 4!  I think one thing that influences parents is that they THINK their kids are uncomfortable and unhappy b
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• imageelmoali:
    I'd think about what, specifically, is making you feel it's time.  I know you said he's really big but there are

imageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • our plan has always been to keep them rf as long as their seats allowed. i wouldn't switch my child just because they were big for their age personally. i think your guilt is pointing you in the right direction. i wouldn't compromise safety just because.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We're about 4m shy of the 2 year mark, and I am DYING to flip the car seat, just because (like you mentioned in the OP) my kid is enormous. It is a huge PITA to get an enormous child in and out of a rear facing car seat, in an already tight back seat.

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • DD will be 3 in May.  She's not small - well above 50th percentile for both height and weight - but she's not ginormous either. :)  She is still rearfacing.  I can get her into the carseat rearfacing and she has hit neither the weight or th
    IMG_8355
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I believe that buckling is easier, but she can't go in the middle seat, so getting her into the space between the top of the door and the carseat is kinda a pain, and it's no easier for her to do it on her own.
    IMG_8355
  • We flipped DD at right about 12m.  We'd done it on vacation and just kept it up because she liked it and it was SO much easier to put her in.

We'll turn DS, who is much shorter, at 16m when the new baby arrives.  We'll have to turn him

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Were in the minority here I know. We just switched last weeks. DD is 20 months. she is about 80%for height and weight. I have tremendous guilt about it but we just couldn't do it anymore. She would throw these crazy fits when we were putting her in the ca
  • We plan on waiting till he is 2 but I feel that you need to do what you feel is right for you and your LO depending on weight/height.  My son also seems pretty comfortable RF so we may try past 2 if no issues arise.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagebethm03:
    Were in the minority here I know. We just switched last weeks. DD is 20 months. she is about 80%for height and weight

• I turned both of mine around at 12 months and 20 pounds. I wouldn't let anyone make you feel bad about your decision. Do what YOU are comfortable with, whatever decision that may be. 
  • We are still RFing at 25 months. Our carseat goes to 40 lbs or 46" RFing, and my 50th percentile kid is 27 lbs and 35", so he'll be at least 3 or 4 before we have to flip him.

• image12bailey18:
    I turned both of mine around at 12 months and 20 pounds. I wouldn't let anyone make you feel bad about you

• My son just outgrew the height limit for RF (I wasn't expecting him to at all--we have a Britax Boulevard 70). He is really tall (DH is 6'8") so I guess it was to be expected, but I was planning on waiting to turn him around. Seeing the height limit on ou
  • imagechardonnay24:

I disagree with this. RFing vs. FFing is not like CIO vs. co-sleeping. It's not a personal prefe

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Honest question, not meant to be snarky - how big are these children that are too big to RF before age 2? 

DD1 was RFing to 2y9m, at which point she outgrew her seat RFing by height. She was 38in and 29lbs. Had she not been too tall for her

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageauthorofdreamz:

Not really, since that is illegal. In most places, the law is that they can FF at 12m and 20lbs so

• DD will be 2 at the end of June.  We will turn her to FF around the middle to end of May as we are due with DS the middle of June.  As much as I would like to keep her RF, my car won't allow for an infant seat and a RF Britax and a new car is

• we are going to stay RF as long as possible. I was finding it very tough with the Britax Boulevard so bought a Diono Radian RXT for our main vehicle and it made a huge difference... so much more room between the seat and the roof of the door.
  • DS is only 14 months so I haven't even entertained flipping him but he's so stinking thin he won't max out on weight for a long time. I'll flip him when he hits the height limit since that will happen before the weight limit.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagememali26:

Honest question, not meant to be snarky - how big are these children that are too big to RF before age 2? 

<

Daughter #1 - February 12, 2010 

natural m/c March 11, 2011 at 8 1/2 weeks 

Daughter #2 - January 11, 2012 

Ectopic pregnancy discovered November 6, 2012 at 6 weeks

Daughter #3 - January 19, 2014

Started our exploration into the world of international adoption June 2012.  We have no idea what this is going to look like but we are excited to find out!

image              image

• imagedhviel:
    imagememali26:</str
  • My DD was 1 year when we flipped. We were moving from Colorado to Florida and did not want her to be uncomfortable for the long road trip. She is rather tiny, but very long so we decided it would be best for us to flip her seat. She loved it! We bought th
  • imagechardonnay24:

image12bailey1
  • AGREE!

EDIT: Oops didn't quote :P 

• imageauthorofdreamz:
    imagechardo
  • imageLalaMama81:
    imagechardonnay
  • imageTiffanyBerry:
    DD will be 3 in May.  She's not small - well above 50th percentile for both height and weight - but she's n
  • imagesmiling76:

imageTiffanyB
  • Your child's spine is not ossified until around age 4. The earlier you forward face the more at risk your child is from dieing because of internal decapitation in a car accident.  This is not a parental preference, it is a fact.

• imageMillivanilli:
    imagechardonn
  • imagegimmietimmies:
    imagedhviel:
    Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • We haven't switched and our pediatrician specifically said at their year appointment that they need to stay RF.  Granted, they're still under 20 pounds, but we will keep them RF until at least 2, and after that we'll keep them RF until they really

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageSandAndsSea:
    I won't do it becuase it simply just isn't as safe, regardless of how big or strong DS is for his age. I t
    "You and me together can do anything, baby!!" DMB
    Married October 16th, 2010
    TTC #1 since October 2010
    1st BFP 1-12-11
    MC'd 1-22-11
    2nd BFP 2-15-11
    Our Wee One....**KENNEDY JO** born 10/3/11@ 36weeks via Csection
    My BFP Chart
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Labor Buddy to **MRS.ATCH** Welcome Quinn 11-5-11**
  • imageJen0204:

We haven't switched and our pediatrician specifically said at their year appointment that they need to stay RF. 

• I am passionate about rear facing as long as possible. I don't look at it like, "When do I GET to turn him".  I look at it like, "When do I HAVE to turn him" (because he's too tall or weighs too much).  The research (and scary you-tube videos

• We haven't yet.  I was going to leave her rear facing for much longer (3 - 4) but decided we'll probably flip her at or right after 2.  Not that this is a reason why - but it's a bit difficult to get her in now that she's getting bigger.  B
  • ...so much for not starting an agruement.

I FF DD at a little over 18 months. We are in the car 20 mins to and from daycare and the screaming got to me. When I say screaming, I mean like in pain almost. I switched. The rest of the story is the pe

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"