3rd Trimester

Anyone not having dh in delivery room?

So this is my second baby and dh came to the first delivery but doesn't want to be in the room this time he says he will watch dd instead. I am not sure what his reasoning is last time I had an ob with an epidural and everything went smoothly. But he seemed freaked out by it he didn't even want to cut the cord.
This time I want to do natural and I have a midwife... Which dh isn't a big fan of... Should I push him to attend or just have my best friend come to the delivery? Wwyd?

Re: Anyone not having dh in delivery room?

• He needs to suck it up and support you. You are the one pushing a baby out, not him. He doesn't have to look but he should at least be there holding your hand!
  • Do most fathers cut the cord?  I hadn't planned on doing it, but if that's unusual I guess I could.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'd be pretty upset if my DH said he didn't want to be there. I get not cutting the cord - my DH didn't want to do that and I get it and totally did not pressure him to do that. But not being there to support me in labor? Yeah, I wouldn't be happy.
  • DS has a different father than this LO and I didn't have DS'  father in the room when I delivered him.  So I have actually considered telling my husband to sit this one out, but he wants to be there.  So different situation but yes, there i
  • I would be really offended if my husband didn't want to be there. I cannot fathom this scenario. He put the baby in there, he can be there to support you getting it out.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I can't imagine being okay with that.  He sounds very immature.  You can't force somebody to be something they are not so I guess I would let it go....him too maybe.
  • If he's going to "freak out," it may be better for him not to be there. I have a friend whose baby daddy was in the room, and he passed out and hit his head so hard HE needed to get rushed to the ER for stitches! She obviously continued to deliver with

OMG too many tickers...
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I expect him to be in the room with me but I don't expect him to do anything he doesn't want to do, such as cutting the cord (and he doesn't want too). But he does WANT to be in the room with me. We feel, that although I am the one pregnant, we are both i
  • I would be upset if my husband didn't want to be in the room. Not wanting to cut the cord? Sure. But not being there at all? That wouldn't be ok with me.
    Charlie 8.06.08
    Emeline 5.28.13

My Blog

Post-Baby PRs
    Esri 5K 7.16.2014 - 21:30
    Heart Half Marathon 3.16.2014 - 1:43:30
    Canton City Marathon 9.8.14 - 3:30:56
  • kegkeg member
    Honestly, I'd do what you're most comfortable with.  If you'd be upset/hurt if he's not there, then see if you can get him to be there.  However, if you're okay either way and it's likely more stressful for him to be there, I think that's it's o
    2004-Started TTC; Nov 2007-Lap with endo removed; Jan 2008-Ectopic (mtx); April 2008-IVF #1 (bfp, twin girls); March 2011-FET (cp); June 2012-IVF #2 (bfp, singleton, EDD 3-19-12)

***Twin fraternal girls born at 35w6d in 12/2008***

• I would want him there just so that he sees first hand what I have to go through to give him that bundle of joy. 

September Sig challenge: Fall
    imageimage
  • uuummmm..at that point, who cares what men want? baaahhhhhhhhh  I kid. but seriously. sometimes they just need to GROW A PAIR.
  • For me there are 2 issues the first is why he doesn't want to be there and the second is what is best for me.

Dh has some pretty serious anxiety and generally doesnt deal well with stressful situations. Last time i delivered i was in a lot o
  • imagemrhargr:
    He needs to suck it up and support you. You are the one pushing a baby out, not him. He doesn't have to look but he s
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagejane.says:
    I would be really offended if my husband didn't want to be there. I cannot fathom this scenario. He put the baby in
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Our Little Guy due 4/14/13 BabyFetus Ticker
  • Yeah, he needs to suck it up. Sounds like he needs some educating about natural birth if that's his hangup.
    Alternative Housewife - Mama style on a budget

Mama to Sebastian, born 9/2010 BabyFetus Ticker

• I would go a step further and get a doula. That person can attend to your needs without a doubt, so you won't have to worry. I think if he has difficulty with anxiety, I would cut him some slack. If he is having a difficult time... Then I would be ok with
    5.18.11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker EDD 3.12.13
  • I would really push for him to be there. You should be a team, and as uncomfortable as it might make him, he should be there for you and go through the experience with you.

With that said, it sounds like he wouldn't be much support - could you ha

• I would be pretty upset if my DH didn't want to be there for the delivery. Although my DH said it was awkward and he kind of freaked out during the birth of our DD it was a moment you never get back. Seeing your child when he or she first comes out.. is a
  • imageamatistajoy:
    I would go a step further and get a doula. That person can attend to your needs without a doubt, so you won't hav
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'm sorry, but your DH needs to man up - if you want him there, he needs to be there to support you! I would be SUPER p!ssed if DH said he didn't want to be there. 
    married 7.18.12   DS1 4.29.13   EDD 11.23.14

my happy boy

• If my DH was serious about not wanting to be in the delivery room, he wouldn't be. Mostly because I would have served him with divorce papers the second I realized he wasn't joking.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It really depends what you want. This is about you, not him. You're the one giving birth. If you want him there, he needs to be there and support you. If you're okay having just your best friend, then I guess it's fine to do that. I just have a hard ti

• I would have some serious concerns about the man I married if he couldnt put me and the baby before himself during something as serious as childbirth. 

Not cutting the cord.....no big deal.   But not wanting to support me and see

Pregnancy Ticker

• imagehighlights:
    If my DH was serious about not wanting to be in the delivery room, he wouldn't be. Mostly because I would have ser
  • Okay, so I am going to be in the minority here, but my husband and I have always felt that he should be there while I am laboring, but he is going to go wait while I push. I have a doula and my mother to help me focus during the pushing. I am hopefully go
  • He needs to suck it up and come. This is his baby too, and he needs to see it to the end!

• imagejane.says:
    I would be really offended if my husband didn't want to be there. I cannot fathom this scenario. He put the baby in th
  • I think it's important to know why he doesn't want to be there.  If it's just be cause he's not into it, that would be a problem.  But I can understand if it has to do with something like anxiety.  For instance, I have a friend who was a

• imagejerseygirl81:
    I would be upset if my husband didn't want to be in the room. Not wanting to cut the cord? Sure. But not being there
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageAtlJuneBride:

I think it's important to know why he doesn't want to be there.  If it's just be cause he's not into it, th

BabyFruit TickerLilypie Third Birthday tickers "You don't marry someone you can live with, you marry the one person you can't live without."
  • Personally I would be OK with it, I don't feel the need to have DH there. But that's me. I think that if you feel like you need to have him there, then you need to discuss it further with your DH. However if you would be just as comfortab

• Tell him you don't want to be there either and since you had the first baby it's up to him to push this one out.
  • I would personally be pissed if H didn't want to be in the delivery room. I feel like the least he could do while you are giving birth to his child is to support you. Of course, if he's not going to be supportive in the delivery room, I geuss I'd rathe

Evelyn (3.24.10), Graham (5.30.13) & Miles (8.28.16)
  • In my relationship it would not fly for my husband to not be in there with me. If you think that it will cause you more stress to have him there than not having him there I would skip it though. I would suggest a doula who is trained in being a birth coac
  • That's tough. I would have a really open conversation with him about why he doesn't want to be there. If he is vague in his reasoning, then you need to express to him very clearly why you need him there. That he is a huge form of support and love and hone

I'm going to school to become a midwife! 
    You can follow my journey here: http://midwife101.wordpress.com
  • imagejane.says:
    I would be really offended if my husband didn't want to be there. I cannot fathom this scenario. He put the

• imagejane.says:
    I would be really offended if my husband didn't want to be there. I cannot fathom this scenario. He put the baby in
    Over-40 parents...what we lack in vigor, we make up for with cunning.
  • imoanimoan member
    The suggestion of having a doula is just a band-aid for a much bigger problem.  I don't give a crap if it's nerves or anxiety or whatever.  Doesn't he think YOU'RE anxious about this whole process. That jackazz has to just sit there and support
    Currently Reading: Don Quixote by Miguel De Cervantes
  • imageimoan:
    The suggestion of having a doula is just a band-aid for a much bigger problem.  I don't give a crap if it's nerves

CJ 05/29/2013

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"