Nurseries and Baby Gear

Curtains in the nursery

BTDT mamas- are blackout curtains in the nursery a must?  Right now we just have blinds on the window in the room.  The room doesn?t get a ton of light to begin with.  Thanks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Curtains in the nursery

• I would say no. My personal opinion, I didn't want my DD to NEED a room completely dark to sleep. I didn't want that to be the only way she napped.
  • I would totally do blackout curtains. Yes, you should teach your baby to be able to sleep in other places, but everyone sleeps better in darkness. They will take longer naps and have sounder sleep if it's totally dark.
  • Loading the player...
  • I want to get them, but for me it's more to keep extra heat out in the summer.  The sun really heats up the front of our house and even with A/C it gets super hot 
     Image and video hosting by TinyPic          

image  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I wouldn't get them.  As much as you think your baby's life will be full of routine and they will always sleep in the same place at the same time, that's not the case.  I think it's important to teach your baby to sleep in lighted areas too.  Especially if the room doesn't get a ton of light anyway, I wouldn't fret about it.  Plus it's an added expense for an unnecessary item.
  • imageKarenBoschetti:
    I wouldn't get them.  As much as you think your baby's life will be full of routine and they will always sleep in the same place at the same time, that's not the case.  I think it's important to teach your baby to sleep in lighted areas too.  Especially if the room doesn't get a ton of light anyway, I wouldn't fret about it.  Plus it's an added expense for an unnecessary item.

Agreed. 

• I'm getting them for ours - its on the brighter side of the house and we have a streetlamp that shines right into it. He's a crappy sleeper at home so I'll do anything I can, plus they are energy efficient as well so it'll keep his room warmer at night.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We got blackout liners when DS was...4-ish months old? We thought they'd help him nap in the crib, but nope. He's just always been a terrible napper, it didn't have to do with the lighting. But I do think the black outs help him sleep later in the mornings, so it was worth it to me.

BFP#1: 01/10, M/C 6w
    BFP#2: 06/10, M/C 5w
    BFP#3: 09/10, DS born June 1, 2011

BFP#4: 07/12, M/C 5w3d
    BFP#5: 12/12, EDD 08/18/13
    Pregnancy Ticker

My Blog: Decorate This
  • I will not, although in our previous house, every bedroom had blackout curtains, DH cannot sleep with slightest light, so I am trying not train the baby the way he is!

• I have them in DD1's room and this LO will have them in her room as well.  I guess they don't hurt.

• If you live in the north, it is helpful to reduce the effect out the everchanging sunrise and sunset time. We finally sprung for them recently after is started to get light out really early.

My two boys are getting a surprise May 2015!

BabyFruit Ticker

• I didn't start with blackout curtains, but I did buy them when my son was a few months old. The curtains darken the room during the day, they allow some light through. I wouldn't buy them now if you aren't sure, you can buy them at target it Walmart.
  • We decided not to, mostly bc she's in daycare and would have to sleep in a lit room there. They thanked us for it! 
    photo image_zps90e45ea2.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • We have them for DS and bought them for our DD who will be born in June. He can sleep in light, but I like them for the mornings. He sleeps later when the room is darker.
    Pregnancy Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Wal Mart had some blackout curtains for kids rooms in fun colors and were pretty cheap. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Honestly, YES.  Newborns don't care much about light/dark, but once the babies turn 3-4 months, they become very sensitive to light and dark.  My DS was able to nap in the PnP in the brightly-lit living room up until he was 3 months, then he started fighting naps as well as waking up too early from naps.  Now he naps in his crib in our bedroom with black-out curtains and he naps much, much better.  Even with the black-out curtains, the room isn't that dark really...
    TTC since 10/2008  RE consult 6/2010 Dx:Unexplaied IF

Failed multiple cycles of Clomid+TI and Clomid+IUI

3/2011 inj+IUI #1 BFP. 4/2011 missed m/c. 

Fall 2011 inj+IUI #2&3 BFN

Jan/Feb 2012 IVF#1 BFP 2/23  EDD 10/31/2012 ~~~ Halloween ~~~

Our IVF miracle, Baby Boy M, arrived on 11/8/2012!
  • I would definitely get them. You can't necessarily "teach" a baby to sleep just anywhere (wishful thinking). They have their sleeping preferences just like adults, and some don't sleep well when the room is too bright.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." - Jack Layton

BabyFruit Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #2 12/26/11 ~ EDD 9/6/12 ~ MMC discovered on 1/27/12 @ 8w1d (measured 6w2d)

BFP #3 8/10/12 ~ EDD 4/23/13 ~ MMC discovered on 9/13/12 @ 8w2d (measured 6w6d)
  • No. We just have blinds and a valance. I actually like that it isn't completely dark in there. Now my DD doesn't require it to be completely dark to sleep...which is GREAT when you are on a road trip or vacation.
    After 2 years of TTC, our daughter was born on Oct 31, 2011!
    7lbs 13oz  20 inches long
    image"Lilypie">

• Oh, and not having them hasn't hindered my daughter's napping ability at all...she was always a great sleeper!
    After 2 years of TTC, our daughter was born on Oct 31, 2011!
    7lbs 13oz  20 inches long
    image"Lilypie">

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"