February 2013 Moms

Postpartum Poll

I'm a FTM so I'm curious to know how everyone else is doing.  

How many weeks postpartum are you? 

How has your recovery been physically?

Mentally?

How much sleep have you been getting?

Do you have others you can rely on for support (husband, parents, friends etc)?

Are you breast feeding or formula feeding and what challenges have you encountered or has it been relatively easy?  

Are you planning to return to work or staying home?

If working what are you doing for childcare? 

How has your relationship with your significant other changed? 

What's been the hardest part of parenthood?

The best?

Thanks to those who fill this out. I'm spending a lot of time wondering what's normal or not and I'm sure there are others like myself :)

Married: August 2008
DS born: February 2013
TTC #2: Nov. 14
Chemical pregnancy 09/16/15
BFP: 12/25/15 EDD: 09/04/16

Re: Postpartum Poll

• imagesingingsea:

How many weeks postpartum are you? 3

How has your recovery been physically? awesome compared to the first kid, which was a csection.  This one was a vbac, so comparatively, this one is a breeze!  I did have an episiotomy though and the stitches still hurt.  I've been taking a motrin before bed, but that's all. It more uncomfortable than anything.

Mentally? Again, compared to the first kid...  I'm not as weepy with this one.  I've really been doing pretty well!  It's tough having a 2 yr old too though and he's kind of driving me batty.  I feel like I yell a little more than I would like sometimes.

How much sleep have you been getting?  Sleep? What's that?  Seriously...none.

you can rely on for support (husband, parents, friends etc)?  My DH is home two days a week and is helpful then.  He gets up with 2yr old at night too. (Yep, they still wake up!)  My mom came over and cleaned one day (God bless her!) and in-laws are nearby too.  I was thinking the other day how lucky we are to have a large support network.  If I needed someone, I could find help.  My sister was awesome!!  She picked up DS from school for two weeks!

Are you breast feeding or formula feeding and what challenges have you encountered or has it been relatively easy?  Breastfeeding.  Again...compared to the first!  With DS1 I spent the first 3 months crying and in the LC office having weight checks done.  I ended up on domperidone for supply issues.  With this baby, he has a great latch and it's going smoothly!  He did lose a lot of weight at first and we are still having weight checks - different kid, same story.  But, he's finally met birth weight (exceeded) and seems to be gaining daily now and we are off the 1 oz supplement.

Are you planning to return to work or staying home?  I took 12 weeks from teaching, which runs into summer break!  So, I'll return in the Fall when school starts again. 

If working what are you doing for childcare? Because I was working and daycare spots are hard to find, my 2 yr old still goes to his daycare center daily.  

How has your relationship with your significant other changed?  We nod at each other in passing... He gets home at bedtime from 12 hr shifts.  We're kind of like roommates who aren't home at the same times.  We leave mushy text messages. :)  We've been here before - it gets better.  So much so you decide to have another baby!

What's been the hardest part of parenthood? Juggling two kids.

The best?  The love!

Thanks to those who fill this out. I'm spending a lot of time wondering what's normal or not and I'm sure there are others like myself :)

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • How many weeks postpartum are you? 4w5d How has your recovery been physically? first few weeks I was in pain and taking meds about every 4-6 hours.  Now it just itches all time and pain here and there Mentally?  Feel like I failed and was quick to say ok to c section, but it was best for his health. How much sleep have you been getting? Maybe 4-5 hours broken up in a night Do you have others you can rely on for support (husband, parents, friends etc)? My husband has been the best. I am so great full for him. Are you breast feeding or formula feeding and what challenges have you encountered or has it been relatively easy?  Im breastfeeding, pumping and once here there formula. I pump every morning so hubby can give him bottle. This way gives them a chance to bond. Are you planning to return to work or staying home?Im going back to work in May. I work 24 hours on and 72 hours off. If working what are you doing for childcare? Dont have to worry about it. Hubby and I work 24 on 72 off and we are on opposite shift so someone is always off. How has your relationship with your significant other changed? It has, I just don't want to be touched, I don't want to be bothered with kiss, hugging or anything. But I'm trying to be open more about this and work on it with him. What's been the hardest part of parenthood?Ive never been good with crying babies, when he cries and have no clue why my nerves get the best of me. I try to find ways figure out what's wrong ( I got the Hungary and diaper cries its everything else). The best?Everything else. From road where I've come from just having him here is best   Thanks to those who fill this out. I'm spending a lot of time wondering what's normal or not and I'm sure there are others like myself :)
    April 10 IUI BFN Sept 10 IUI BRN Feb 11 IVF hoping for a BFP! Feb 27 ER 28 eggs Mar 4 8 health eggs, 2 ET Mar 17 - Beta 180!! BFP!!! Mar 21 - Beta 1295!! holy cow what a jump Coming soon 1st Sono March 30!!! Crossing fingers for healthy stick bean(s) Mar 29 miscarry :( 6w 3d 2nd IVF July 2011 BFP July 2011 M/C 11/11/11 hate to say good bye again! Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 3rd IVF 4/3/12 ER 46 eggs (holly cow batman) 40 mature, 36 fertilized 4/8/12 ET 2 AB put back 4/10/12 15 make it to FREEZE 4/22/12 Beta BFN 1st FET 6/7/12 Day we are going to put back 2. 6/21/12 BFP 1285 6/25/12 4780 I hope this time they stick!! Deaglan William welcome. My rainbow is finally here February 7, 2013
  • Loading the player...
  • imagesingingsea:

How many weeks postpartum are you? 4 weeks.

How has your recovery been physically? I had a second degree tear. My stitches have dissolved and the bleeding has mostly stopped.

Mentally? I definitely had the baby blues where everything made me cry. Started to slide into PPD and told my husband. He's really stepped up on helping me out. Getting up with him late at night, watching him so I can get out of the house for a bit.

How much sleep have you been getting? Longest stretch little guy has slept is about five hours. On a good night I'll get about 6-7 hours of sleep (not consecutively). And on a bad night....ugh.

Do you have others you can rely on for support (husband, parents, friends etc)? My husband has been great about helping me and my parents live just down the road. Mom has already babysat a several times.

Are you breast feeding or formula feeding and what challenges have you encountered or has it been relatively easy?  Breast feeding. Latching was never a problem. Little man is a champ ;) What's been hard for me is nipple tenderness and sometimes supply. Which I've learned to drink a cr@p ton of water and really haven't had any issues since. Kieran will take bottles I've pumped from both my husband and my mother.

Are you planning to return to work or staying home? Returning to work the first week of April. Honestly I'm ready to go back. Being at home this last month has made me realize I need to work for mental stimulation.

If working what are you doing for childcare? My mom will be watching him. It makes me sad to think I might miss out on some of his firsts but I'm trying to look at the positive side of him getting to spend quality time with his grandparents.

How has your relationship with your significant other changed? I think our relationship has gotten better. I think from watching me give birth he thinks of me as a stronger person (if that makes any sense?) Intimacy wise we're taking it slow. I'm waiting to get the all clear from my doc at my 6 week PP appointment.

What's been the hardest part of parenthood? The lack of sleep!

The best? When he smiles at me and snuggles up on my chest :D

Married: August 2008
    DS born: February 2013
    TTC #2: Nov. 14
    Chemical pregnancy 09/16/15
    BFP: 12/25/15 EDD: 09/04/16
  • How many weeks postpartum are you? Five

How has your recovery been physically? Pretty good. I was blessed with a really easy birth. I'm ready for this 5 week long period to be over though!

Mentally? This is my first baby and I was not prepared for the anxiety I was going to feel. I pretty much broke down in the hospital because of it and it lasted for about 3 weeks PP. I am such a nervous mom, I'm paranoid that something is going to happen to her and it was almost too much to handle at first. I've calmed down a bunch though, and my body is getting used to less sleep. I feel happier and like I'm handling things much better now.

How much sleep have you been getting? I'm spoiled. My mom lives right down the road from us, doesn't work and is a night owl so she loves coming at night and letting me sleep. I get about 5-6 hours a night and sometimes a couple hour nap during the day.

Do you have others you can rely on for support (husband, parents, friends etc)? Yes. I don't know how people raise babies without support. I am so lucky to have my mom and my grandmother! My husband works nights and very long hours so he isn't much help.

Are you breast feeding or formula feeding and what challenges have you encountered or has it been relatively easy? Another thing I wasn't prepared for was the breastfeeding issues I've experienced. I have a low supply and pretty flat nipples which have caused some issues. I've worked with an LC who put me on an aggresive feeding/pumping plan in the beginning. Basically I had to pump after every feeding so I was always attached to either my LO or the pump and it was very difficult for me. It helped some though; my supply isn't great still but it's better. I really planned to EBF but we have to supplement with formula here and there. I'm nervous about how it's going to work when I have to go back to work. I'll only be working part time though and I'm determined to continue to breastfeed!

Are you planning to return to work or staying home? Going back after 12 weeks and only part time

If working what are you doing for childcare? My wonderful mom and grandma

How has your relationship with your significant other changed? We didn't see much of each other before the baby, and now it's worse and it's been hard on us, especially him. I think he's mourning his life before DD. I know he loves her, but I wish he would be more hands on with her and make more of an effort. 

What's been the hardest part of parenthood? The anxiety/worry about LO wellbeing, I guess that just comes with being a FTM. Everyone says I'll be more relaxed with the next if we have another.

The best? This amazing little girl! The love I have for her more than I ever thought I could feel!

• How many weeks postpartum are you? 5 1/2 weeks PP.

How has your recovery been physically? Pretty good. Except for the hemorrhoids that got worse after labor, I have felt normal and in no pain for at least a couple weeks.

Mentally? Eh, not as good there. I had a bad case of the baby blues for a couple of weeks after DD was born. It's definitely much better now, but I do miss the days of "freedom" from time to time. And when DD is fussy, which she is a lot, it gets very frustrating.

How much sleep have you been getting? A lot more than I expected at this point! We have been swaddling DD and having her sleep in her crib for the past 3 nights, and I've gotten at least a 5-hour stretch each night. Friday night she went 7 hours straight!

Do you have others you can rely on for support (husband, parents, friends etc)? Definitely. DH is a big help, and my mom and MIL both only live 5 minutes away. I don't know how I could've gotten through this without their support.

Are you breast feeding or formula feeding and what challenges have you encountered or has it been relatively easy? Breastfeeding. It was a huge challenge at first, so much that I was very close to giving up. I have an oversupply and overactive letdown. But that also has thankfully gotten better. 

Are you planning to return to work or staying home? Returning to work, but only on a very limited basis- 1-2 days a week.

If working what are you doing for childcare? My mom and DH's grandma will take turns.

How has your relationship with your significant other changed? It's been hard, I won't lie. We have been snapping at each other and fighting a lot more. DD is very fussy, so we both just get frustrated and the sleep deprivation doesn't help matters. We hardly get any time together because one of us is always trying to soothe her. We had a talk about it yesterday though, and I feel better about things now.

What's been the hardest part of parenthood? At first, it was the loss of my freedom and identity as I perceived it- my entire life changed so dramatically, it was a total shock to my system. Now, it's the constant crying.... during the day, we literally can't put her down without her crying, and sometimes holding her doesn't even make it better. It's hard to know what to do for her.

The best? When she smiles and coos. It's so cute, it makes me cry. Also, the fact that I think she's beginning to recognize me.

PCOS with long, irregular cycles
    First round of Clomid in May 2012= BFP #1, DD born January 2013 
    BFP #2 in January 2014, DS born September 2014

View Full Size Image     View Full Size Image   

• How many weeks pp are you? 5w4d

How has your recovery been physically? I had a c/s but everything has been better than expected!

Mentally? Hormones were crazy the first 2 wks but now I'm feeling great! Except when sleep deprived lol!

How much sleep are you getting? Up until she was 4wks she was sleeping in 45 hour stretches. However, now she is only sleeping 34 hour stretches. I'm hoping she'll start sleeping longer soon!!

Do you have others you can rely on for support husband, parents, friends etc? Husband works out of state every other week, but when he's home he's a lot of help and gives me times to nap to catch up on sleep. MIL has been extremely helpful! She will come and stay the night occasionally and get up with DD so I can get a full nights rest. She's a lifesaver!

Are you breast feeding or formula feeding and what challenges have you encountered or has it been relatively easy? I started breast feeding but she wasn't latching, so I switched to formula. We had to switch her to the GentleEase formula at 34 weeks.

Right now I'm a substitute teacher, so I plan to start back April 1 but it won't be an every day thing. I'm starting the application process for teaching positions, so hopefully I'll be back to work full time come August!

How has your relationship with your significant other changed? So far it hasn't.

What's been the hardest part of parenthood? Doing the nighttime work on my own since I'm alone a lot. Lack of sleep sucks! Also trying to figure out when or if you're going to be able to shower or not each day!

Best? Although it's a little selfish I guess, I love when other people hold her but then she hears my voice and goes crazy looking for me. Every little smile and laugh I'm rewarded with each day from her. I could go on and on, I can't get enough of my DD!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• How many weeks postpartum are you? 4w5d

How has your recovery been physically? I ended up with a RCS - my recovery was faster than with DD1. The first few days were really rough but quickly got better. I'm still not 100%, but I'd say I'm at about 85%.

Mentally? Ok. I need a lot of sleep, so the newborn phase is really difficult for me and the lack of sleep negatively affects how I deal with everyday challenges.

How much sleep have you been getting? I've been going to bed between 7:30-8:30pm so that I can usually get at least 6-7 hours accumulated over the night. It's still not enough for me, but it's the best I can do. DD1 goes to bed at 7 and then I have to get a couple of things done, so I can't go to bed any earlier.

Do you have others you can rely on for support (husband, parents, friends etc)? DH stayed home for 3 weeks, now my mom is here for 2 weeks (she's leaving on Sat), then I'm on my own during the days. Soon DH is switching to PT, though, and will only work 3 days a week, which will make things a lot smoother, I hope.

Are you breast feeding or formula feeding and what challenges have you encountered or has it been relatively easy? FF. We tried BFing again, but DD2 was a really lazy sucker at the breast and nothing we tried was working. I pumped for 3 weeks then stopped that when DH went back to work. I'm ok with the decision.

Are you planning to return to work or staying home? I work from home PT, so I'll be continuing with that in a few weeks. I only answer to myself, which has its upsides and downsides.

If working what are you doing for childcare?  We have a PT nanny for DD1 who comes for a total of 12 hours / week. In a few months DD2 will go to her, too, but then we'll have to reduce the hours to 9 / week.

How has your relationship with your significant other changed? I'm pretty frustrated with him at the moment, but it's mostly not his fault and the main reason has very little to do with LO.

What's been the hardest part of parenthood? Sleep deprivation. By far. Although it's sad to wish away the early months / years, I cannot wait until I can get a good night's rest again without being woken every night by a little person screaming. As PP said, even toddlers don't necessarily STTN. My 2 year old still wakes once a night. I think she's STTN less than 10 times in her entire life.

The best? When these little people develop their own unique personality and come up with the cutest, most creative, hilarious things you've ever seen / heard.

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• How many weeks postpartum are you?  6

How has your recovery been physically?  Really easy, which I deserve, my csection recovery was terrible.  I had some discomfort, I had a 2nd tear and an episiotomy, so some soreness.

Mentally?  Again, great.  With dd, I had ppd/PTSD.

How much sleep have you been getting?  Plenty!  DS usually wakes once.  But dd is an early riser, so I usually only sleep until 5:30-6:30.  

Do you have others you can rely on for support (husband, parents, friends etc)?  At first, my mother.  She came over for about an hour every day for the first few weeks, and helped with little tasks, ad played with dd.  

Are you breast feeding or formula feeding and what challenges have you encountered or has it been relatively easy?  I am breast feeding, which has shockingly gone really easy.  Which again, with dd, wasn't the case.  I had to supplement from the beginning, and my milk dried up rather suddenly on its own. 

Are you planning to return to work or staying home?  I go back to work part time in 2 weeks.

If working what are you doing for childcare?   My mom will watch the kids, with my SIL as backup.

How has your relationship with your significant other changed?   Not with DS.  It did after dd, it was hard to find us time.  We are better at that now.

What's been the hardest part of parenthood?  Originally, losing time alone with dh.

The best?  Dd's kisses and hugs.  When DS smiles, coos when he sees me.

Thanks to those who fill this out. I'm spending a lot of time wondering what's normal or not and I'm sure there are others like myself :).   - as you can see by my answers, there is no normal.  It has been totally different with each of my kids.

• How many weeks postpartum are you? 

One and a half weeks

Harder than with my first. I guess I had a bigger tear this time, and still have to deal with my 20 month old, so I'm not getting the full rest that I need to recover.

Mentally?

Not too bad. Mostly tired and kind of "out of it" a lot of the time. 

I get 1 to 2 hour stretches. Even if the baby goes for 3 hours between feeds, I'm still up for an hour of that time feeding, burping, and changing him and getting him back to sleep. 

Do you have others you can rely on for support (husband, parents, friends etc)?

I am very blessed in this arena. I have DH who took off from work last week, and spent all last week at my parents house, where I was able to basically just take care of DS2. I didn't need to cook, do laundry, or even do much to take care of DS1. He was spoiled with attention from DH, my parents, my brother, and sister. Yesterday we moved back home and my mom came to help and basically unpacked everything for us. 

Are you breast feeding or formula feeding and what challenges have you encountered or has it been relatively easy?  

BFing. I found that the second time around I knew more what to expect, what was normal and what wasn't, and so without that learning curve for me, it has been going much smoother this time.  

Returning to work F/T probably in late April 

I have a babysitter/nanny that I share with my neighbor. I am actually using her now that I am home to watch DS1 for a few hours a day to make things a little easier for me now that I am home alone during the day.

The hardest part is the sacrifices you need to make that change your life by dictating what you can and can't practically do. But they are all well worth it, and would never trade it for the world 

The best?

The love you feel for them, and eventually as they grow, the love that they show you back. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagesingingsea:

How many weeks postpartum are you? 2 Weeks

How has your recovery been physically? Great. I had an episiotomy with my first and this time I was able to remain intact so I've been feeling fantastic.

Mentally? I've definitely been more hormonal especially when it comes to DD1. I'm used to being with her all the time when I'm not working so I've been a little hard on myself trying to be super woman. I got said this weekend because she had a birthday party and I couldn't go with her and DH.

How much sleep have you been getting? The first couple of nights were rough but I think she's figuring out day and night so lately she's been giving me two solid 4 hour stretches of sleep every night.

Do you have others you can rely on for support (husband, parents, friends etc)? Yes! Thank God!

Are you breast feeding or formula feeding and what challenges have you encountered or has it been relatively easy?  Breast feeding. This time around has been easier than the first time. They say it's because there is only one of you learning.

Are you planning to return to work or staying home? I will be returning to work. I'm on exclusive maternity leave for three months and then I may work from home for a couple of months before transitioning back to the office.

If working what are you doing for childcare? I put LO on the waiting list for the same daycare that my daughter attends. If we decide not to send her there then we will probably get a nanny. I'm leaning towards the DC to be completely honest though.

How has your relationship with your significant other changed? This may sound cheesy but I'm even more attracted to DH ever since we had kids. He is an amazing father and I love that. We were married for 5 and a half years before DD1 was born so we had learned to communicate with eachother really well during that time. Knowing how to communicate has really helped up survive parenthood so far.

What's been the hardest part of parenthood? After having my first I realized that most of the decisions I make in life will in one way or another affect my kids. Trying to make the best decisions for your kids can be challenging and a lot of times involves making sacrifices.

The best? I love being a mom. I look at my two little girls and can't help but feel like the luckiest person on the planet!

Mr.&Mrs. Ash&Vic Est.1.21.2006 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • How many weeks: 3 weeks and 4 days

Recovery: physically I felt better after a few days.  I am concerned tht my hips are still hurting me like they did towards the end of the pregnancy.  My migraines and TMJ are back with a vengeance--went away the entire pregnancy.  Mentally I'm doing far better than I thought I would be.  Thought I'd have a total meltdown since I had tons of anxiety while pregnant.  I do have 5-10 minutes of "what have I gotten myself into?  I want to run away!" a couple of times a week, but even that is dissipating.

Sleep:  DH rocks.  He takes the baby from 11:00-7:00am most nights so I'm averaging about  8 hours a night.  Even so I'm constantly exhausted.  I'm starting to think breast eeding is making me abnormally tired.

I have DH. My family lives elsewhere.  Friends have been coming over to visit which is a nice break, but they haven't been helping per say.  Most of them are busy with their own kids or are single and a little terrified of babies!

EBFing, but I just pump because I have inverted nipples and couldn't get a latch.  She also drew blood several times and I'm terrified of BFing now.

Going back to work on June 24th and will be taking DD to daycare.

Relationship changed:  much has stayed the same so far.  In fact I'd say we're getting along better.  That said, he's taking 6 weeks off work so we're not dealing with the 'real world" right now.  I'm a little worried what will happen when he goes back.

Hardest part: getting her to fall asleep is exhausting sometimes and pumping is getting annoying and my nipples hurt all the time.  

Best part: I'm trying to soak up every second of her and make a permanent imprint on my brain  of her.  I know she'll grow up so fast so I want to remember and enjoy everything.  

• How many weeks postpartum are you?   Almost 2
    How has your recovery been physically?  The first 5-6 days were rough because of the afterbirth cramping.  But other than that I've felt amazing.  I didn't tear though, so that's probably why.

Mentally?  Fine. 

How much sleep have you been getting?  Baby is up about every 1.5-2 hours through the night.  I go to bed around 9 and get up a little before 7, so I probably get 6-7 hours of broken sleep.

Do you have others you can rely on for support (husband, parents, friends etc)?  Yes.  My husband is wonderful with the older children.  Our church brought meals, as well as some friends.  Tonight is the first time I'm on my own for dinner since the baby was born.  Our parents helped with chores around the house and also took the older kids for us so we could have time alone with the baby.

Are you breast feeding or formula feeding and what challenges have you encountered or has it been relatively easy?  BF - It's easy only because I've done it before.

Are you planning to return to work or staying home?  I work part-time and from home and plan to start back at the end of this week.

If working what are you doing for childcare?  I have a sitter that comes to my home and watches my kids while I work.

How has your relationship with your significant other changed?   With every baby our relationship gets stronger.  I love watching him become a father all over again with a new baby.  And we've learned so much about each other through the process of having babies that it gets easier each time.

What's been the hardest part of parenthood?  Potty training.  lol

The best?  Watching my children play with each other and become best friends.  There is nothing better than hearing them chase each other around the house and giggle.  It makes all the hard work and sleepless nights worth it.  I would keep having kids forever just for that reason - so there will be a million little playmates running around my house.

• How many weeks postpartum are you? 1 month, 5 days

How has your recovery been physically? It was painful at first because I had a c-section and my son was lodged inside me in such a way that the Dr had to tug him out, making my recovery more painful. Since about week 3 though I've been feeling mostly back to normal, no more painkillers needed and I've been able to take walks, etc.

Mentally? Feeling good mentally. No issues there. I love being a SAHM Mom.

How much sleep have you been getting? About 3-4 hour blocks at nights. I try to nap during the day but am not always able to.

Do you have others you can rely on for support (husband, parents, friends etc)? Yes, my husband works full time but as soon as he gets home he wants to take the babe and feeds him, changes him and puts him to sleep. He's a very hands-on Dad and i'm very thankful. Also, his mom and sister live down the street and they've gone grocery shopping for me and taking me out to lunch or shopping for diapers. They've been a huge help.

Are you breast feeding or formula feeding and what challenges have you encountered or has it been relatively easy? I'm pumping and supplementing with formula. We tried to breastfeed and after weeks of frustration we settled into this routine. I wish it would have worked out but I feel like I made some FTM mistakes that now I know not to make with my 2nd kid. 

Are you planning to return to work or staying home? I'm a stay at home Mom now :)

How has your relationship with your significant other changed? I think we've gotten closer and our bond has changed but also strengthened in a different way. The only negative (for him) has been the lack of sex lol!

What's been the hardest part of parenthood? Failing at breastfeeding was hardest on me. Also, the lack of sleep adjustment is hard.

The best? Everything else! I LOVE being with my son all day and seeing him grow and learn. I feel so lucky to spend this time with him.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • How many weeks postpartum are you?  just about 5How has your recovery been physically? I tore, so physically I'm still recovering. I had a 2nd degree tear and labial tears on both sides. Stitches are almost gone, but it just feels dry and itchy now. I feel a bit worn out but FAR better than right after delivery! The first week was horrible.Mentally? I have my moments, but mostly I am happy and doing ok :)How much sleep have you been getting? We get in bed between 7-8 and get up between 6-7 with maybe 2 or 3 hours of awake time during the night. Once in a while he'll be good and only wake up to eat.Do you have others you can rely on for support (husband, parents, friends etc)? DH is in training with the military about 4 hours away. Just saw him for the first time in 3 weeks this past weekend. I'm staying with my parents, but I have some weird hang up about letting them help that I haven't really sorted through yet...Are you breast feeding or formula feeding and what challenges have you encountered or has it been relatively easy?  EBF. THe first week was a little rough. He was cluster feeding from the get go, and now I have a huge milk supply because of it. He cracked both of my nipples but they healed pretty fast once he got a bit better at latching. He also had a tongue tie that was clipped when he was 24h old and that helped immensely. Are you planning to return to work or staying home? I wasn't working before getting pregnant, but hope to find a job in a few months.If working what are you doing for childcare? My parents (hopefully, if I get over that hang up lol)How has your relationship with your significant other changed? I love him more than I ever imagined possible :) watching him fall in love with our son is the sexiest, most attractive thing in the world.What's been the hardest part of parenthood? When DS cries and I can't figure out what's wrong. It's not too often, as I wouldn't say he's colicky or anything, but the sound of him upset breaks my heart.The best? Seeing him grow in just these few short weeks. He is the cutest thing I have ever seen, and I'm so proud of every new little development. Cuddling him is also pretty freakin' great!

Archer Liam - 2/6/13
    Freya Lillian - 11/15/15
  • How many weeks postpartum are you? Almost 2.

How has your recovery been physically? My crotch hurts. 

Mentally? Some days are better than others. 

How much sleep have you been getting? 3-4 hours at a time. Not too bad.

Do you have others you can rely on for support (husband, parents, friends etc)? Yes. Almost every day. 

Are you breast feeding or formula feeding and what challenges have you encountered or has it been relatively easy?  I'm EPing. Its rough and I don't like it but I want whats best for DD. 

Are you planning to return to work or staying home? Work, but I live in Canada so not for a year. 

If working what are you doing for childcare? Not sure yet, likely family. 

How has your relationship with your significant other changed? I'm relying on him more. Usually I'm very independent. 

What's been the hardest part of parenthood? The hardest part for me is the fussiness between 10 PM and 1 AM. 

The best? Shes rather adorable. :)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • How many weeks postpartum are you? Four weeks.

How has your recovery been physically?  This is my 2nd c/s and this recovery has been harder.  I'm still sore and I'm tired of feeling like a walking wound!  I want to feel normal again.

Mentally?  I'm up 25 lbs still from pre-preg weight and that bothers me.  A lot.

How much sleep have you been getting?  DD is awesome and sleeps 4-5 hrs at a time at night.  Problem is, then she won't go back to sleep.  Tongue Tied

Do you have others you can rely on for support (husband, parents, friends etc)?  I had DH at home for two weeks, then my mom was here for a week.  I also hired a cleaning service and my church friends brought dinners for three weeks.

Are you breast feeding or formula feeding and what challenges have you encountered or has it been relatively easy?  Breastfeeding.  It was a HUGE challenge at first.  Bloody nipples and all.  Had to pump for a few days while they healed.  Nursing is still painful, but bearable. 

Are you planning to return to work or staying home?  I've been a SAHM for 6 years, plan to continue.

How has your relationship with your significant other changed? This is our 3rd, so not much.  We are thrilled with her, but I am expecting more from DH as far as helping out, and I'm not getting it, so there is some tension there.

What's been the hardest part of parenthood? Finding more patience, peace and serenity with living life putting my family ahead of myself.  (i.e. right now I just want to lay on the couch and watch TV, but I need to clean the kitchen and help DD with her homework before DD2 wakes up and needs to be fed...sigh)

The best? I look at my three healthy, gorgeous children and can't believe how blessed we are as we watch them grow up.  Life is very full!  I am enjoying this baby more than I did the other two.  I'm more relaxed with taking care of a newborn now.

SAHM to DD1 (7), DS (5) and DD2 (1)
    2wks 4 days
    Recovery has been easier than I expected I only had a small tear but my hemrroids have been a pain in the butt..
    Mentally?
    Great surprisingly I struggled with depression through 2nd tri so I kinda expected PPD.

Is say about 6 to 8 hours depending on when I go to bed. Luke only wakes up twice at night to eat and goes right back to sleep. We've had 2 bad nights but after gas drops and some burps he was all better.
    Do you have others you can rely on for support husband, parents, friends etc?
    My parents have been a great support as well as SO's parents. They have been taking me to dinner, doing laundry, washing dishes and doing plenty of snuggling with Luke.
    Breast feeding. The first three days were incredibly easy AND THEN my milk came in...between oversupply and engorgement it has been a challenge because of how soar my breasts get. Doesn't help that LO's favorite place to be is in my arms with a nipple in his mouth weather he's eating or sleeping that's where he wants to be and I let him since I have nothing better to do. I love the bonding time and that he looks 'milk drunk' when he falls asleep with the tip of my nipple in his mouth and milk dribbling down his cheek! Haha priceless.
    I'm torn. I have a job offer that would allow me to start in May part time but I really want to be a SAHM. SO is trying to find a second job so that I can his idea...He's kinda awesome sometimes.

If I do go to work my mom and SO's sister will be able to care for Luke.

We have good and bad days. I love the way he looks at me and tells me how amazing I am for having his son, how beautiful I am even with stretch marks and some extra flab
    Staying awake while feeding him at 4am.
    The best?
    The smiles seeing him turn his head towards me when he hears my voice and the way he stares at my face when he's nursing.
  • imagesingingsea:

How many weeks postpartum are you? 2 weeks

How has your recovery been physically? It's been harder than my recovery with DD. I have had a lot of lower back pain, I think because of my sciatic nerve. My PP bleeding had gotten better at the end of 2 weeks, then it came back yesterday (from what was light pink/yellow to red). I am annoyed it came back, but I think it's because I overdid it this weekend.

Mentally? Much better than with DD. Not crying nearly as much.

How much sleep have you been getting? 4-5 consecutive hours.

Do you have others you can rely on for support (husband, parents, friends etc)? DH has been awesome with DD (20 months). He goes back to work tomorrow, though...eek! My mom watches DD when we are both working, so she will be coming over to help. My parents are only 5 minutes away, so they are a ton of help. Our friends and family are super awesome and helpful.

Are you breast feeding or formula feeding and what challenges have you encountered or has it been relatively easy?  Breastfeeding has been a breeze. He just eats...a lot!

Are you planning to return to work or staying home? Will go back to work after 12 weeks (end of May).

If working what are you doing for childcare? My mom will come watch both kids.

How has your relationship with your significant other changed? Gotten better, I think. We learn to work well taking on both kids.

What's been the hardest part of parenthood? Lack of sleep! Balancing the needs of 2 kids.

The best? Everything. Loving 2 kids. Watching them grow. Just everything.

imageimageimage
  • imagesingingsea:

How many weeks postpartum are you?  Almost 5

How has your recovery been physically? Much better than the 1st, I think the size of my tears have something to do with it. 1st I had a 3rd degree tear + lost of stitches. This time small tear only 3 stitches. Woohoo. Bleeding is gone.

Mentally? I've had mostly good days and a few bad days esp. after DH went back to work.

How much sleep have you been getting? It varies. The past few days DS2 has been sleeping 5-6 hour stretches, woohoo!

Do you have others you can rely on for support (husband, parents, friends etc)? Yes, DH has been awesome. And you ladies of course.

Are you breast feeding or formula feeding and what challenges have you encountered or has it been relatively easy?  EBF. The first week my nips took a beating but after that they toughened up and A-OK now. I have a very painful letdown still though.

Are you planning to return to work or staying home? Returning to work the last week of April.

If working what are you doing for childcare? DS1 was in daycare until last week and will be home with me and DS2 until I return to work. Then both kids will be in DC 3 days per week, at grandma's the other 2 days.

How has your relationship with your significant other changed? Not really this time, since we've been though most of the changes already.

What's been the hardest part of parenthood? I'll find out this week when I start juggling 2 kids solo.

The best? I can't believe how much I love my kids!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • How many weeks postpartum are you? 4

How has your recovery been physically? Pretty easy.  The first couple of days were kind of brutal and I was pretty sure Amelia might end up being an only child, but I bounced back pretty quickly!

Mentally? Not too bad.  Sometimes I feel stressed out or overwhelmed, but fortunately I have a very involved husband and lots of family and friends nearby, so I have a lot of support on the practical stuff, which helps keep me sane. ;-)

How much sleep have you been getting?  Usually anywhere from 6-9 hours per 24 hour period, it's just a question of when.

Do you have others you can rely on for support (husband, parents, friends etc)? See above.  I'm a very lucky lady. :-)

Are you breast feeding or formula feeding and what challenges have you encountered or has it been relatively easy?  Breastfeeding.  Apart from the fact that my daughter brutalized my left nipple during the first couple of days, it's actually been pretty easy.  She latched pretty well right of the bat, and I produce a LOT of milk - my boobies are small but mighty!

Are you planning to return to work or staying home?  Returning to work at 6 weeks PP - I'll be there 3 days/week for 15 weeks, and in July I'll be back full-time.

If working what are you doing for childcare? My mom will be watching her two days a week while I'm working part time (DH has off on one of my work days, so we don't need childcare that day), then three days a week while I'm back full-time.  We're still not sure what we're going to do about that fourth day, possibly find an in-home daycare that will take her for one day a week, or hire a babysitter.  Or, if she ends up being a super easy baby at that point, we may not need childcare, since DH works from home 3 days a week and has a very flexible schedule. 

How has your relationship with your significant other changed? At the moment we're definitely more focused on our daughter, but I think we're both enjoying seeing one another's parenting skills. 

What's been the hardest part of parenthood? Sleep deprivation at night!

The best? Baby snuggles, duh. ;-)  Also, my daughter's ridiculous facial expressions.  There is one that DH has dubbed the "Walter Mathau face."

3 weeks

I had a c section and I felt fine after a week and a half.

Mentally?
    I cried a bit for the first week but I felt normal again really soon.

When the baby sleeps I sleep so I been getting sleep during the day more than at night

Do you have others you can rely on for support husband, parents, friends etc?

Yes my mom SO and sister

Formula feeding my breast aren't producing milk any more..

Returning to work

My mom babysits him

It's definitely a little different, my SO loves his sleep so he's irritated when he doesn't get it
    When my baby cries, he literally screams and it gives me the worst headaches and my baby chokes a lot and it scares the hell out of me

The best?
    He's smiling!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pregnancy Ticker BabyFetus Ticker image image image image
  • How many weeks postpartum are you? 6 daysHow has your recovery been physically? Not terrible. Apparently, I am moving around pretty well for a c/s. Laying down and getting up are uncomfortable initially, and I'm depressed at the sight of my belly. It's shrinking, though, so, that's good.Mentally?  Emotionally, it's rough.How much sleep have you been getting?  Enough, really, though newborns are exhausting.Are you breast feeding or formula feeding and what challenges have you encountered or has it been relatively easy?  Breastfeeding. It's not comfortable, it kinda hurts at first, but it's not bad. He's had a pretty good latch from day one :)What's been the hardest part of parenthood?  The round-the-clock job. It truly never ends, and I never really get a break. That's hard. The best?  This sweet little person. Seriously, he's amazing, and I love him with all my heart. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Almost 6 weeks PP.

Recovery = a-okay... I think.

Recovery mentally = surprisingly well. Sometimes I'm majorly grumpy though, but I think that's more of a lack-of-sleep thing.

Sometimes I get 3 hours of sleep a night, sometimes I get 7.

I do have people I can rely on. My DH is great, but I wish he could have gotten some time off. And my parents have been around, but busy.

I'm EBFing and I'm having latch issues, engorgement, horrible pain from let-down, horrible pain from... who KNOWS what, huge clogged duct, sore nips, cracked nips, bleeding nips... arg.

I'd like to not return to work, but it depends on how a few things pan out. DH is student teaching right now, so hopefully he finds a teaching job for the Fall.

If I go back to work DH will watch baby since it will be summer time when I go back.

I'm not sure my relationship with DH has changed. I feel like we see less of each other and when we do see each other we're not as involved in each other.

The hardest part about parenting so far is the lack of sleep and the pain from BFing. But I keep BFing because I love it and I believe in it. I think it saves me from PPD, and it helps me feel needed and loved which I think is important. If you give birth to something and then feel that that something doesn't need you anymore... that wouldn't be a good feeling.

The best part is having a baby. If I knew how happy he would make me, I would have done this YEARS ago. I'm so glad DH and I didn't wait any longer than we did. We weren't at the greatest time ever to have a kid, but we didn't want to put it off any more given that we're both in our early 30's.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"