August 2013 Moms

Gender anxiety??

Today we went for our a/s, and we had the tech surprise us by putting the photo in an envelope and then we took it to a baker and had cupcakes made. We discovered that we are blessed with a little boy, but my mother-in-law is doubtful. To me the picture looks fairly obvious- not as obvious as some, but still obvious. When we asked the tech to be sure after she said she determined the sex, she told us she was 99% sure. I've heard of some techs being wrong and mistaking a girl for a boy....now I am doubting! I am afraid we will start getting boy things and then at our next sonogram they will tell us it's a girl. :/
image image image BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Gender anxiety??

• Is your MIL a trained u/s tech? I wouldn't trust her opinion over a trained professional. There is always the possibility of a mistake, and there will always be stories of a friend of a friend who's u/s was wrong, but if you saw a penis at this point I would assume it's really a boy. 
    imageimage
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • From what I've seen, the parts look way too big for them to be engorged girl parts, as some people suggest as a reason for mistakes. I'm pretty sure it looks like a penis. I just am being a worrywart.
  • Loading the player...
  • imagekateisgreat:
    Is your MIL a trained u/s tech? I wouldn't trust her opinion over a trained professional. There is always the possibility of a mistake, and there will always be stories of a friend of a friend who's u/s was wrong, but if you saw a penis at this point I would assume it's really a boy.nbsp;

This
     DS1 8/2011. DS2 8/2013.

• if the tech is sure, then I would go with it. 

worst case scenario? you end up with a girl and you have to buy a couple outfits. 

girls can use blue sheets, car seats, strollers and bouncers.  

Anniversary
    When you've been married this long, you need a ticker to remind you.

Baby Boy M - 08/01/2013 

Expecting Baby Bean February 2017
  • imagecinderin:
    if the tech is sure, then I would go with it.nbsp;worst casenbsp;scenario? you end up with a girl and you have to buy a couple outfits.nbsp;girls can use blue sheets, car seats, strollers and bouncers. nbsp;

True. If this one is a girl she's stuck wearing a lot of blue regardless because DS has so much blue.

I figure I am a girl and I like blue. :
     DS1 8/2011. DS2 8/2013.

• Just keep Receipts and IF the tiny chance of a mistake turns out true, go exchange things! I'd trust the tech over any family
  • imageStephw32:
    Just keep Receipts and IF the tiny chance of a mistake turns out true, go exchange things! I'd trust the tech over any family

Very true, we can do this. I don't want to go gung ho until after the baby shower anyway, and we are also luckily getting some from friends and family who have had boys so we shouldn't be buying a lot. Whatever we do buy can be returned if need be. Baby shower won't be until after the last ultrasound probably anyway. 

• imageBlueJewelM:
    imagecinderin:
    if the tech is sure, then I would go with it.nbsp;worst casenbsp;scenario? you end up with a girl and you have to buy a couple outfits.nbsp;girls can use blue sheets, car seats, strollers and bouncers. nbsp;
    True. If this one is a girl she's stuck wearing a lot of blue regardless because DS has so much blue. I figure I am a girl and I like blue. :

I like blue too.

I am planning to do gender neutral items because I don't particularly like gender specific boy or girl items.

I am sure that boy or girl, we will end up with tons of peto-pink or boy themed items from our families. 

Anniversary
    When you've been married this long, you need a ticker to remind you.

Baby Boy M - 08/01/2013 

Expecting Baby Bean February 2017
  • If you think about it, I doubt any professional would ever say they're 100% sure of the gender based on an ultrasound so I think if someone tells u they're 99% sure it's going to be as good as you'll get before birth
  • was it based on her wanting a girl and then seeing the u/s?  

Eat your food people. You are pregnant, not made of glass. ~PrimRoseMama
    The Benes Boys were born 9/3/13! woooo
    imageimage
  • I know there have been cases where the u/s tech get's it wrong, but I wouldn't be too paranoid about it. If it obviously looks like a penis to you why doubt it? I agree with pp that maybe your mom is in denial because she wanted a girl. 
    imageimage
    Anniversary

• My MIL kept saying that my son was a girl because she is awful. She has 1 grandson and then 3 grand daughters and just couldn't believe that it was a boy so my ENTIRE pregnancy she told me I was having a girl and even bought girl things. It was a boy. So don't let her scare you. I'm sure the tech was right
  • I actually when for an elective u/s and am sort of doubting or not trusting the tech's gender determination 100%. I will wait until my 20 week u/s with my doctor to confirm.

Pregnancy Tickerphoto image_zpsa3b8966d.jpg
  • imageMamusia2be:
    I actually when for an elective u/s and amnbsp;sort of doubting or not trusting the tech's gender determination 100. I will wait until my 20nbsp;weeknbsp;u/s with my doctor to confirm.

I have an elective u/s tomorrow and I'm 16 weeks. My thinking is I will use this as a probably and use the anatomy scan as confirmation. It will have to be a very clear image of a boy for me to believe the elective 100, if they say girl I will def wait for the confirming anatomy scan.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"