January 2013 Moms
Options

Mastitis, again!?

I ep and I had some issues with blocked ducts and then mastitis in the right breast at about 2 weeks pp. I'm now 10 weeks pp and I went back to work this past Monday which did alter my pumping schedule a little and I ended up with a blocked duct on the left side. Now I have all the symptoms of mastitis including fever, chills, red sore spot and all over body ache. Although that could also be from shoveling yesterday. It's so discouraging because I have had no issues in the last 2 months and now I do because of going back to work. It makes me want to stop pumping.

Re: Mastitis, again!?

• Options
    Hang in there. I'm sorry and know how frustrating it can be.. I just got over mastitis as well. My advice is call your doctor and start those antibiotics ASAP. I had some moments when I wanted to give up but I'm determined to stick it out and hope it won't happen again.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Do y'all mind of I ask? What causes plugged ducts and mastitis?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagecutie9621:

It can be a number of things, from not emptying your breast enough, a poor latch, an oversupply, or just sleeping on your stomach/breast and compressing the duct. Some people are predisposed to it and others will never get it. I've had it twice and it's not fun.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Not that you would make the decision to stop EPing without a lot of thought, but try to stick with it if you can... I too had mastitis around 3 weeks PP and it was so tough, I felt sick as a dog - the aches were the worst part, I could barely get up in the middle of the night to take care of my boys it hurt so much.

I know I needed the encouragement, so I want to be sure to encourage you as well!  At the same time I understand not wanting to subject your LO to multiple rounds of antibiotics and being in pain.

My CNM suggested the normal massage before/during/after pumping, make sure to fully empty the breast, warm wash cloths before pumping, massage in the shower, etc. but some other things she mentioned was using sliced potatoes that had soaked for about 10 minutes (something about reducing inflammation - never tried it but she recommended it) and one thing that helps me is cranking up the pump on the clogged side because it helps draw out the clog since my LO's can't do it for me like someone who EBF's (I have recurrent clogged ducts and have prevented mastitis a few times since the first time I got it... barely though, very close calls).  Also, I don't wait for a clog, I always feel/massage towards the end of my pumping session to ensure they have that 'supple' feel and no areas that feel 'thick' or have a knot because that is how my clogs start.

Hope you feel better soon, I know it is the worst feeling!! 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageAllison546:

imagecutie9621:

It can be a number of things, from not emptying your breast enough, a poor latch, an oversupply, or just sleeping on your stomach/breast and compressing the duct. Some people are predisposed to it and others will never get it. I've had it twice and it's not fun.  

This must be me. I had it two times in the first three weeks after DD was born. Because of that and a few other factors I gave up nursing. DS is exclusively FF, too.

nataliepic350 photo nataliepic350.jpg photo 099_zps0c6fc5c8.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageAllison546:

imagecutie9621:

This must be me. I had it two times in the first three weeks after DD was born. Because of that and a few other factors I gave up nursing. DS is exclusively FF, too.

nataliepic350 photo nataliepic350.jpg photo 099_zps0c6fc5c8.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"