Natural Birth

XP: Natural Birth with a 10lb-er

I was wondering if anyone went natural with a 10lb baby, or anything close to that? We aren't sure of our baby's size, but I feel like she's huge and wanted to attempt a natural birth. Any advice?

Re: XP: Natural Birth with a 10lb-er

• My midwife said the largest baby she delivered was a 13 lb homebirth baby, totally healthy, no meds, minimal tearing :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had a med-free VBAC with my younger son. He was 10 lb, 10 oz and just under 24". I had a second degree tear, but it wasn't a horrible recovery by any means.

Stay upright and active during labor. Induction isn't recommend for suspected macrosomia, so going into labor on your own is ideal. hth and good luck!

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Loading the player...
  • I had a friend who had a VBAC at home with an 11 pound baby girl, so it's totally possible. Babies are squishy, good luck!
    image image image

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • My sister had a vaginal birth with a 10lb. baby. Didn't even tear. It was her third pregnancy though. I'm also pretty sure she had an epidural.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I was about 9.5 lbs, and my mom had a home birth - no meds with me and was fine.  I don't even think she tore.  It's totally doable.
  • My baby was only 8.6, but my mom did it with me. I was 10 lbs. She said it was great. Stay active, walk a lot, and don't focus on her size too much.

• Eleanor was 10 pounds even med free - no tearing.  A friend of mine had a 10 pound and 10 lb 7 oz baby med free for her 3rd and 4th after 2 c-sections.

Use lots of movement in labor and let nature do it's thing.  Hands and knees are great! 

• DD was 9 lbs 14 oz and I went med free.
    Hilary
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • I know someone who has homebirthed all of her children, the smallest of whom was 10 lbs. oz. She's had 6 kids, so it must be doable.

• My brother was 10.4 and my mom did it med free and under 4 hours!  (That was when episiotomies were pretty much standard, so I can't comment on tearing...)
  • My first was 9 lbs 15 oz and my second was 10 lbs 10 oz.  I had both of them naturally at home...I tore a bit with the first, but healed fine and didn't tear at all with the second. :)

Your body will grow the right sized baby for you.  Have faith.  

Lilypie - (ZESJ)Lilypie - (QAi1)

• I did not pain meds with DD who was my second. She was 9 lbs 13 oz. I did need pitocin to help with a stalled labor, but they were able to stop the piticon after a bit. That way I was able to deliver in the tub. I did tear but only where I had from my first birth. Recovery was fine. Good luck!
  • I am planning a med-free birth because there are good odds that this kid will be ginormous, lol. DH was 11.5lbs and 24" long, I was 9lbs, 12 oz and 22" long.

We're both very tall, but I have a very slender build and I'm thin. The ability to guide my own pushing and labor in multiple positions/in water (to mitigate tearing and pelvic floor issues, etc) is very important to me.

Six years of infertility and loss, four IUIs, one IVF and one very awesome little boy born via med-free birth 10.24.13.
  • DD1 was 9lbs needed two stitches

DD2 was 10lbs 2 oz No stitches, slight graze

Both med free, "easy" births.

I think baby's position is so much more important than size. Plus remember, weight can come from length and long legs are super easy to push out :-) 

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• DS wasn't med free, but the smallest at 8lb 8oz. In order, no drugs, no tearing, 9lb 13oz, 8 lb 11oz, 9lb 3oz and 10lb 12oz. The girls were much quicker and easier than ds, and honestly, even though dd4 was the size of most 3m olds with a ginormous head, she was the easiest. I was also up and moving until maybe 10 minutes before I delivered her, and got good counterpressure on my back (I labored on my side, it was my most comfortable position). The doc kept sending me to do laps until I couldn't stand (or stand it) anymore. I could have done the shower, but I got turned off by being wet in labour (and I'm totally the opposite normally, I like long showers/baths/swims).
  • I was just a tad over 10lbs..  My sister was 9lbs 7 oz.  My mum delivered both of us med free. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I know of a recent 9lb 8oz-er, first time mom, no tearing waterbirth. It isn't about how big the body is, it's about the position and size of the head coming out and the width of the shoulders. With a natural labor, you can at least go onto all 4's for the Gaskin Manuever if you get a shoulder stuck. This widens the hips and allows enough movement for (most) babies to come out without dislocating the shoulder or rushing to a c-section.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My mom had my brother naturally no meds he was was 12lbs 10oz. 

She is 5'10 but had no issues at all. GL 

ITS A GIRL!!! TTC 8/11 November Clomid 150mg+trigger+IUI+TI= BFP<br>
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, 'I lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.' 
    Eleanor Roosevelt 
    image image 
  • my 2nd child was 9 lbs 6 oz at birth...born natural in an hour. amazing birth!
    Natalia
    Konstantino
    Maximo
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST https://pinterest.com/raffaella1030/
  • My MW told me they delivered an 11 pound baby at the birth center the other day. The mom went totally natural and med free. My mom also had me and all my siblings with no meds and both of my brothers were almost 10 pounds. It can definitely be done! :

• I know 2 women who did..one of the babies was 10 pounds and the other was 11.5! They went all natural and no meds!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"