Breastfeeding

Waking to feed?

My DD is 8 weeks old and I EBF. Our pedi still has us waking to feed every 3 hours during the day and 5 hours at night. The 3 hours during the day usually isn't a big thing since she usually wants to eat every 2 to 3 hours anyway. But at night I hate waking her up if she is still sleeping at 5 hours. She was born at 37 weeks so she was small but she is gaining great and breast feeding is going great. Wondering if anyone else is following this type of schedule at 8 weeks?

Re: Waking to feed?

• Certainly is up to you and doctor, and you could at least ask why--sometimes drs just repeat same thing to all moms. DD slept long stretches starting at 6 weeks. W never woke her. She was on the small side, and has remained so, but always healthy. W were fortunate to have good pediatric practice that trusted my instincts and rarely pushed things like waking baby to feed. In fact, I don't remember them ever saying to wake to feed at night. So I think it does really depend on the doctor's training and personal view, I don't think it's a broad medical thing. But always good to ask why. When we did really need to get weig up, I nursed more during day, never woke from sleep (this was to avoid supplementing). Did the trick. Wore me out, but didn't have to do that long.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had my son at 41 weeks, so you may not want to listen to me, but I personally feel that waking a baby is stupid. Plus, if you were super, super, skinny, and felt like taking a super long, say 12 hour, nap, would you like it if your mom woke you up and tried to convince you to eat lunch? 

As say as long as there's gaining going on, as long as the kid isn't starving, then let the kid sleep for Pete's sake! Good golly! 

• Loading the player...
  • imagetheresat858:
    Usually if baby is back to birth weight, there is no reason to wake to feed. I'd ask your pedi if you still need to.

Oh she is way past birth weight. She was born at 5 pounds 5 ounces and she is now 7 pounds 6 ounces. She is consistently gaining about an ounce a day. Honestly I am thinking of changing doctors because I believe she is not personalizing our care. That's why I wanted to know what other doctors are recommending.
  • We didn't have to wake to feed overnight after he returned to birth weight at 2 weeks.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• My DD was born at 37 weeks as well and we started off waking to feed ona similar schedule as you are talking about.
    Somewhere around 4 weeks she started vomiting like once a day for 3 days, took her to the pedi and she had gained a pound in a week. Our pedi said we were probably over feeding and didn't have to wake to feed anymore.
    All that to say is the other thing that she told me that really helped was that once she was past birth weight and then gaining at least an ounce a week regularly, we can stop thinking of her as a premi. DD was born at 37 weeks except, so she was right on the edge. My pedi said at first they tend to treat babies at 37 weeks like premis until they prove they aren't. That was really helpful for me to hear because it took some of the pressure off. Hope that helps!

Married to DH 10.29.11

DD born 1.26.13
    DS born 6.12.14
    #3 due 12.6.16

• We aren't even at 4 weeks yet, but we don't wake him to eat. If your LO is gaining weight and there are no issues, I say let her sleep. She will let you know if she's hungry.

Daisypath - (2EEx)

Lilypie - (CszI)

• I have a 4 month old and I EBF on demand. He used to only eat 1 time in the MOTN but now eat 3 to 5 times. Hoping we are in a growth spurt. I'm just a believer that babies will eat when they are hungry.
  • Thanks for all the responses, ladies! This helps a lot :
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"