Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Clogged tear duct

My daughter is 19 months and has a clogged tear duct that makes her eye water alot and prone to infection.  Is having a surgical procedure the only way to get rid of this?  Any home remedies?

Thanks

Re: Clogged tear duct

• Options

They usually tell you to massage it- you can google how to do it.Also you can try warm compress.Good luck. 

My LO had it from birth.It was progressively getting worse by 7-8 months.She had goop and tears in her eye all the time.I massaged, I put antibiotic drops to no avail.I was told, that it should go away by age 1. But it only got worse...so we opted for the surgery. They found a small cyst in there so it'd never have gone away without intervention. Her eye is fine now, knock on wood.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My son is older - almost 3 - and we're still dealing with the duct issue.  The doctor said they don't like to deal with it until after 2 to see if it resolves on its own but it's not and I'd bet your daughter's doesn't either.  We took him to a peds opthamologist who said he doesn't even feel massaging ever works because we can't exert enough pressure to break through the blockage.  He also told me that if we're going to do the surgery, the sooner the better because the older they get, the more likely it is that they'll have to have a tiny tube put in the duct vs plain old clearing it because the clearing doesn't work.  GL!
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    LO had the surgery recently. The pediatric said there are two types, one is a partial opening that the children can grow out of since as they grow their plumbing grows with them and then the blockage % will shrink. The other is an unopened duct and it is something they cannot out grow. You can't know what you are dealing with unless you child is evaluated. The pedi said LO can outgrow it until around a year's age but at our 15 month appt we were referred to the eye doc for an evaluation. The procedure itself wasn't too big of an issue minus needing the anesthesia, it was only scheduled for 30 minutes total- 5 to poke the duct open and the other 25 for the drugs. 
  • Options
    My DD had one when she was about 2 months old. All they had me do was massage it.
    After 2 years of TTC, our daughter was born on Oct 31, 2011!
    7lbs 13oz  20 inches long
    image"Lilypie">

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"