VBAC

Not sure if I want a VBAC?

palm513palm513 member

I am 6w3d and my doctor asked if I wanted to have a VBAC which I wasn't expecting since I will be delivering 18 months after the the C/S. Has any one else had a VBAC that soon? Does any one have any recommendations? The doctor gave me the option and said if I am uncomfortable with the VBAC we can do a C/S, but I am very undecided. 

Re: Not sure if I want a VBAC?

• You're right in the recommended window - it's 18 mo between births. That's awesome your doctor asked!  What makes you uncomfortable about doing a VBAC?
  • 18 months is plenty of time between births, and if you have a doctor that is willing to do a VBAC then you are doing great! You have plenty of time to weigh out the pros and cons, as well as your own previous birth experience.
    "What are you having?" "Well the radiologist says its a healthy little human baby. I'm a little disappointed, because I really wanted a puppy." LOL
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm trying for a VBAC and I'll only have 15 months between my c-section and my due date. My doctor said it's not any more dangerous than if it were a longer span.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I guess I am just scared that something will go wrong and I'll have to have an emergency c/s anyway. Or worse something will happen and I'll lose the baby.... also it is a new experience, my first c/s was planned I had pre-eclampsia with twins and the hospital policy is no inductions with a twin pregnancy, also if one is breach they cut you anyway and B was breach. So it is different and you always feer what you don't know. Or atleast I do anyway.
  • I have a friend who went on to have a great VBAC after her twin c/s.

The evidence is far in favor of baby and mom for a VBAC, your body knows what to do. I love to read birth stories, it really empowered me for my VBAC 2 years ago. I wanted more than 2 children, and did not want multiple surgeries.  Knowledge about birth can really relieve a lot of your worries - read birth stories, learn about the process of labor and birth.  You could expect to labor and push like a first time mom time-wise, and your body will still know how to go into labor and bring the baby down. The best thing I can advise is to personally seek to learn about childbirth and see if after all that, you still feel apprehension.  What do you think about meeting with a midwife?  Some women really love the personal care and time to talk through worries with a woman.

You could also seek out your local ICAN group, or post more here for support. You can absolutely do it - it's your choice, and it needs to be something you will to do. You can't control the outcomes, but you can certainly contribute to a good one, and take the rest as it comes.  Figure out how you want your baby to be born. :-)

• I miscarried, but if I didn't, my children would have been about 16-17 months apart. My ob was perfectly fine and supportive of that.
  • Thank you for all the advice I guess when I got pregnant by accident 3 months later I pushed VBAC out of my mind as an option and I wasn't ready for the doctor to be pushing for it as long as I am willing he thinks that natural is best. I am so glad I have a new OB this time around I know my old one was very scissor happy. And I think I am starting to look forward to having a VBAC. 

• Wow! These post have helped me feel better! I want a vbac. I'm hoping my doctor is supportive as well! My first appointment is this Thursday. Deliveries will be 22at months apart.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"