January 2013 Moms

XP (0-3 months): Tummy Time

Hey ladies.  Just wondering if anyone had any tips on making tummy time more pleasant for my DS. He is 9 weeks old today, and he hates it. We have been doing tummy time since week one, and it doesn't seem to get any better for him. He can support his head when we carry him around, but when we lay him on his play mat he just puts his face down and screams. We have tried the boppy too, and he seems to hate that as well.

I am worried that he isn't gaining the strength in his neck/shoulder muscles. I don't want him to fall behind. Are any of you having the same issues?

TIA

BFP#1 -3/18/12- M/C 3/31/12,
BFP#2 -4/25/12, Beta#1 17dpo= 800, Beta#2 20dpo= 3800, Ethan James born 1-5-13

BFP#3- February 2015- natural miscarriage

BFP#4- June 2015- Ruptured ectopic, severe hemorrhage and loss of left tube on 7/10/2015

BFP#5- 12/18/15

Re: XP (0-3 months): Tummy Time

• Posted this on the other link too. Sorry for the repeat:

My first DD absolutely hated tummy time, so we didn't do it. Yes, I can hear your audible gasps, but hear me out. She is 5 now and she is very strong. Her head is not misshapen, nor is her neck weak. She had colic and if there was one thing I could avoid to stop the screaming, I did. 

With DD#2 we are on the same track. No colic, but she screams on her tummy. My husband calls it "that thing where they scream and bang their chin on the ground". Doesn't that describe it perfectly? To make you feel a bit better think about this: Do you think Sacajawea stopped her trek across the country to remove her baby from the papoose and put in at least one hour of tummy time a day? I don't think so either.   

Lost but never forgotten <3 : </br> 1st BFP 2/8/06 m/c @ 12 weeks; 2nd BFP 2/9/07 w/ Clomid; DD (Monica Caroline) born 11/16/07; 3rd BFP 3/25/11 w/ injections m/c @ 5 weeks; 4th BFP 8/3/11 w/ injections diagnosed blighted ovum; 5th BFP 1/20/12 m/c @ 9 weeks; 6th BFP 4/27/12 Praying for our rainbow Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • My DD does tummy time on our chests, we recline a bit and she lifts up all the time. She hates it any other time.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Most of our tummy time takes place with her on my chest.  That's really the only way she will tolerate it.  I do a little bit on a mat I got her that came with a mini-boppy.  It basically looks like one of those C shaped neck pillows for the plane.  I've noticed her neck getting stronger so I think it's working.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I asked my ped about his. He said it is no big deal if you don't do tummy one just that she might be a little behind on hitting the first milestones of head lifting but that would be okay as she would get there eventually. My dd holds her head all the time when I carry her and when we soothe occasional tummy time she can pick he head up. I jut don't want to make her cry any more than necessary
  • If you wear your baby in a carrier, my ped said it basically counts for tummy time.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My DS pretty much hates all tummy time, but I found that if I put him on the boppy in the middle of our dining room table while I'm folding laundry he tolerates it much more.

I had tried toys, mirrors, etc...but the only thing that has worked is me doing something pretty much level with him. Soooo glad we have a massive table!
    imageimageAnniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • *old poster - turned lurker chiming in :) *

i found these tips really helpful in keeping some type of tummy time fun for LO.  I've heard great things about using an exercise ball.

https://mamaot.com/2012/03/25/tips-for-making-tummy-time-a-little-less-um-miserable/ 

(sorry not clicky) 

• i found this link on pinterest and really liked it it has 7 tips for making tummy time less miserable. we have done a few on her list! Maybe it will help?!?

https://mamaot.com/2012/03/25/tips-for-making-tummy-time-a-little-less-um-miserable/

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker photo theboysanddany_zps4c74191e.jpg
  • imageChocodoxies:

Posted this on the other link too. Sorry for the repeat:

My first DD absolutely hated tummy time, so we didn't do it. Yes, I can hear your audible gasps, but hear me out. She is 5 now and she is very strong. Her head is not misshapen, nor is her neck weak. She had colic and if there was one thing I could avoid to stop the screaming, I did. 

With DD#2 we are on the same track. No colic, but she screams on her tummy. My husband calls it "that thing where they scream and bang their chin on the ground". Doesn't that describe it perfectly? To make you feel a bit better think about this: Do you think Sacajawea stopped her trek across the country to remove her baby from the papoose and put in at least one hour of tummy time a day? I don't think so either.   

I'm cracking up.  Good point.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Falling in Love!  November 2014
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"