Babies: 0 - 3 Months

BF/Pumping advice needed

I am at a loss. DD was BF great when we first got home, there was the basic learning curve troubles but nothing overly serious. Now nearly 3 weeks of age I think we are having some more troubles... She lost 11 percent of her weight at the hospital, we got her to gain there with supplementing to 9 percent,  and then 7 percent by her next appointment. But this week I am noticing some rather frustrating trends and they worry me that my supply is drying up or that there is another problem, and as a FTM and the only attempted BF in either my or DH family I don't know where to turn (there is no LC in my area at the moment).

I am attempting to get up to being an EBF but my supply was slow to kick in and with her weight I wanted what was best and have continued to supplement till it seems my supply is enough. Which I am starting to feel is never going to be the case. DD will only feed for longer then 10 minutes in the mornings like right when we get up, and after that its 10 or under and some of that is I have to keep giving her back the nipple because she lets go and falls asleep. And this week to make it worse the nipple seems to go soft and push into the breast even when shes not done, and I have noticed that my breast don't seem to be getting hard like they used to so I am worried its drying up? I had been trying to avoid getting a pump but am giving in so I can measure how much im making and perhaps even pump when she not interested so that I can rework my supply up or get it higher. 

So if any of you ladies have advice on increasing supply by any means I would happy be willing to try it. I have done all I can think of from waking her every hour to get her to feed even a little to hand expressing and milk aids like those cookie things and tea.  

Oh and side though,  I was told DD sleeps to much (shes only up for about 2 hours straight at a time, an then no more then 30-60 minute a couple times through the day but normally shes half asleep during those time) could this be a sign shes not getting enough food? 

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Re: BF/Pumping advice needed

• Hey!  We just did all this! :)  My first kiddo was a sleepy baby too!  First - you need to get your sleepy baby to wake up!  Google some ideas, there are tons!  Things like using a washcloth to wet them down when they fall asleep, tickling feet, feeding in just a diaper, etc, etc, etc.  Find them and use them all.  You have to wake that baby up!  You might spend the entire feeding waking them up over and over.  Secondly, put baby to breast as often as possible.  Plan to spend every waking moment you have breastfeeding. Until baby is back at birth weight, you need to be waking him/her up every two hours at night too. Breastmilk production works on supply and demand.  If you don't remove milk, your body doesn't make milk.  Do everything possible to get the milk out of your breasts as often as possible so your body will make more.  A lot of women with supply issues/sleepy baby issues feed and then pump and then feed the baby what was pumped.  If you can stop using formula to supplement, that will help you.  Everytime you give baby a bottle instead of bfing at the breast, you are telling your body it doesn't need to make milk.  Yes, sleepy babies are sometimes sleepy because they aren't eating enough.  Once my LO started eating the proper amount and gaining weight, he's suddenly awake a normal amount of time and awake at the breast to eat!  As for flat nipples, try pumping a little before feeding (just a couple of minutes!) or placing a frozen breastpad on them (get one wet and freeze it) for a couple of minutes. As for your comment on pumping "to see how much you make", that is not possible!  Pumping will not show you how much milk you are producing! Baby is much better than a pump at removing milk.  Most women make plenty of milk to feed their baby at a feed, but can only pump a few ounces (if that) at each pumping. Pumping does NOT equal how much milk you are producing!!!   A more accurate (although not totally accurate) way to see how much baby is really eating is to do a weighted feed on a baby scale. You weigh baby, feed, then weigh baby again and see what was gained. You can do this at your pediatrician's office if you don't have a LC. I see you said your town doesn't have a LC at all. Even so, you've got to find people in real life, please! Try to see if you have a Le Leche League nearby, they are all just as helpful as a LC and usually just as qualified. Maybe a pediatrician or the hospital you delivered at has a nurse who has been trained in breastfeeding? Maybe you can find a mama in your town who has breastfed a couple of kiddos? A doula or midwife?  Look everywhere! It is important to have someone to help you out and support you!  It's also helpful to have a professional evaluate your baby's latch and if you are holding the baby correctly, etc.  Also, check out kellymom.com and the Jack Newman breastfeeding websites. They have a ton of information, including videos!

Edit:  Did you have a csection??

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Ugh.  It bugs me so much that you don't have proper support that I'm pming you my actual real life info! :) Check your messages!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • sorry you're struggling mama - BFing is tough!

Here are some things to try - 

1. Talk to a LC

2. drink tons of water

3. Take Fenugreek

4. Eat oatmeal (real, not the packets) and drink dark beer

5. Nurse, nurse, nurse as much as you can. 

The best way to increase supply is to nurse as much as possible! Like PP said, try to keep your LO awake, do skin to skin, tickle their feet, change a diaper in the middle of a feeding to wake them up, etc. 

My little man at 0-1-2
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin me baby!
    BabyFruit Ticker http://mamasaywhat.com/

• imagepitterpatter129:
    Hey!nbsp; We just did all this! :nbsp; My first kiddo was a sleepy baby too!nbsp; First you need to get your sleepy baby to wake up!nbsp; Google some ideas, there are tons!nbsp; Things like using a washcloth to wet them down when they fall asleep, tickling feet, feeding in just a diaper, etc, etc, etc.nbsp; Find them and use them all.nbsp; You have to wake that baby up!nbsp; You might spend the entire feeding waking them up over and over.nbsp; Secondly, put baby to breast as often as possible.nbsp; Plan to spend every waking moment you have breastfeeding. Until baby is back at birth weight,nbsp;you need to be waking him/her up every two hours at night too.nbsp;Breastmilk production works on supply and demand.nbsp; If you don't remove milk, your body doesn't make milk.nbsp; Do everything possible to get the milk out of your breasts as often as possible so your body will make more.nbsp; A lot of women with supply issues/sleepy baby issues feed and then pump and then feed the baby what was pumped.nbsp; If you can stop using formula to supplement, that will help you.nbsp; Everytime you give baby a bottle instead of bfing at the breast, you are telling your body it doesn't need to make milk.nbsp; Yes, sleepy babies are sometimes sleepy because they aren't eating enough.nbsp; Once my LO started eating the proper amount and gaining weight, he's suddenly awake a normal amount of time and awake at the breast to eat!nbsp; As for flat nipples, try pumping a little before feeding just a couple of minutes! or placing a frozen breastpad on them get one wet and freeze it for a couple of minutes. As for your comment on pumping "to see how much you make", that is not possible!nbsp; Pumping will not show you how much milk you are producing! Baby is much better than a pump at removing milk.nbsp; Most women make plenty of milk to feed their baby at a feed, but can only pump a few ounces if that at each pumping. Pumping does NOT equal how much milk you are producing!!!nbsp;nbsp; A more accurate although not totally accurate way to see how much baby is really eating is to do a weighted feed on a baby scale. You weigh baby, feed, then weigh baby again and see what was gained. You can do this at your pediatrician's office if you don't have a LC. I see you said your town doesn't have a LC at all. Even so, you've got to find people in real life, please! Try to see if you have a Le Leche League nearby, they are all just as helpful as a LC and usually just as qualified. Maybe a pediatrician or the hospital you delivered at has a nurse who has been trained in breastfeeding? Maybe you can find a mama in your town who has breastfed a couple of kiddos? A doula or midwife?nbsp; Look everywhere! It is important to have someone to help you out and support you!nbsp; It'snbsp;also helpful to have a professional evaluate your baby's latchnbsp;andnbsp;if you are holding the baby correctly, etc. nbsp;Also, check out kellymom.com and the Jack Newman breastfeeding websites. They have a ton of information, including videos! nbsp;Edit:nbsp; Did you have a csection??

Yes this is awesome advice!!!!!!! I can't think of anything to add!!! Kellymom the BF board are my breastfeeding bible!!! You can do this momma!!

BFP #1: 04/27/12 ~ Amelia Elizabeth born @ 41w0d on 01/08/13
    BFP #2: 08/28/15 ~ MC 9/21/15 I'll always hold you in my heart little one
    BFP#3: 12/09/15 ~ MC 12/18/15 <3 mommies second angel
    BFP#4: 03/28/16 ~ Beta #1 10dpo: 22, Beta #2 12dpo: 102, Beta #3 14dpo:  276.  US a 27dpo: GS sac and precious baby measuring 5w5d. US at 6w3d: HB @ 108 bpm.   EDD: 12/09/16   GROW BABY GROW! Mommy & Daddy & Big Sister love YOU so much! <3
  • imageTeacher Clark:
    I also eat oatmeal or homemade granola every morning. Oats are great for supply. I add brewers yeast and flaxseed meal to them, they are also good for supply and can be found at your local health food supermarket. I drink a dark beer most nights, it has been said to help supply. I have been told by LCs that 1 beer is fine and won't hurt baby. Not only is it supposed to help with supply, but it calms mama down and stress affects supply.

I'm also having some supply issues. Could be stress-related...

I've started eating more oatmeal, lately, and drink Mother's Milk tea. Wondering if it matters if the dark beer is cooked in something. I don't particularly like dark beer, but my husband will cook sausages in it or make gravy, etc. out of it. Does cooking the alcohol out of the beer make a difference? Are there other beers that will help supply? 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"