Infertility
Options

- * - Wendy1210 - * -

Hi Wendy, I just wanted to say again how sorry I am about your PGD results. I also want to say that I think the decision to have healthy children and to be willing to endure the pain of IVF/PGD testing is something that I admire deeply. While my husband and I have made the same decision, the commitment to stick to it is definitely tough. Your percentage of passing the genetic disorder seems really high - do you mind sharing what your predicted percentage of inheritance was? I'm afraid, and I'm thinking that maybe I should be preparing myself for your same situation just in case.

Also, I was wondering if your PGD required a probe? If so, are you able to re-use the same probe over again after the initial test? Did you have to pay the entire $4000 over again? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer - this PGD process is crazy.

| Married since 2008 | DH and I: Both 30 | Me: Endometriosis and Carrier of an X-Linked Dominant Genetic Disorder | DH: Low Morph | Planning IVF with PGD and PGS in 2013 | Freeze-All IVF #1: March 2013 ER 3/26. 29R, 12M, 11F. 4 5AA frozen blasts. Freeze-All IVF#2: May 2013 ER 5/15. 31R, 21M, 20F. 6 5AA frozen blasts. Our PGD probe was completed in late June (total of 20 weeks to develop). PGD and PGS Results came on 6/19: 3 healthy embryos (normal chromosomes and unaffected by my family's genetic disorder). FET #1: July 2013 Natural Cycle - Cancelled due to insufficient lining (only got to 7.5mm). FET #1.2: August 2013 - Medicated Cycle with Lupron & Estrogen Patches to build up lining. Single embryo transfer was 8/23. Beta #1: 240! Beta #2: 578! U/S on 9/19 at 6w4d: We saw the heart beating at 131bpm. Second U/S on 10/4 at 8w5d: We saw the heart beating at 178bpm. EDD 5/11/2014
PAIF/SAIF/Everyone Welcome! 

Re: - * - Wendy1210 - * -

• Options
    Thanks for posting Rosy, I'm still taking in all this info in preparation! You have been so full of awesome info for me!!!  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Hello!

I am more than happy to answer any questions. I know how hard this whole process is. 

We were trying for about 3 yrs then decided to go to a fertility dr. All testing came back fine for me (fallopin tubes all clear, no chromosomal issues etc). My husband's sperm was retested. First time they said there were some issues but they thought it was bc he did the test at home and he was a little late to turn it in. So, when he was retested, they found that he had a low count and some of his sperm's heads were deformed so, they swam in circles. At that point, the dr did more bloodwork and we were about to try IUI even though the chances were low.But, we found out that my husband has what is called a "robertsonian translocation" for chromosome 13 & chromosome 14. A robertsonian translocation means that he has 4 parts to those chromosomes but instead of them looking like an X, and have 2 on one side and 2 on the other, he has 1 on one side and 3 on the other. So, it's a healthy chromosome but, unbalanced which could lead to trisomy 13 (which is devastating. the baby has severe problems & usually only lives for a month after birth and never leaves the hospital) or trisomy 14 which 99% of the time miscarries. So, we opted not to do the IUI bc of the chances of trisomy 13 or 14. We spoke to our dr and we discussed IVF w/PGD. This was our best options. The first time we did IVF (I was 34 and my husband was 37) we had 20 eggs, 17 fertilized, 10 fertilized well and we had 1 healthy embryo which did not take. The second IVF (about 3 months later) I had 17 eggs retrieved, 7 fertilized well and we had 3 healthy ones. We implanted all 3 and we have our son. 

We are now 38 and 41 yrs old. I had 11 eggs retrieved, 8 fertilized well and we had no healthy embryos. Six of them were a trisomy issue (none 13 or 14 though), one was inconclusive and one was complex something. The dr called and asked about implanting the "inconclusive" one since it could be healthy or it could not be healthy. Since, it was not able to be retested, we chose not to implant it and be grateful for our wonderful healthy child that we have. 

So, I think that our age plus the robertsonian translocation played a part in having no healthy embryos. It is a scary thing on top of being emotionally and physically draining. I am happy to speak with anyone. Feel free to ask anything or even private message me.

Good luck and best wishes to everyone!!!  

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Sorry, yes, each cycle you do the PDG, you have to pay for it. I am grateful that we have good insurance and we are able to be reimbursed for it.

This PGD was about $3000 for them to test up to 8 embryos. After that I think it was about $200 extra per embryo. 

• Options
    Hi Wendy! Thanks so much for your openness! I'm really grateful for your reply. I'm so sorry it didn't work out for you on this try for IVF. What an awful disappointment. Did they ever give you chances of pass to your embryos? I am so curious. I hope things look up for you soon, and I love your attitude about your DS. Keep us updated if you try again.
    | Married since 2008 | DH and I: Both 30 | Me: Endometriosis and Carrier of an X-Linked Dominant Genetic Disorder | DH: Low Morph | Planning IVF with PGD and PGS in 2013 | Freeze-All IVF #1: March 2013 ER 3/26. 29R, 12M, 11F. 4 5AA frozen blasts. Freeze-All IVF#2: May 2013 ER 5/15. 31R, 21M, 20F. 6 5AA frozen blasts. Our PGD probe was completed in late June (total of 20 weeks to develop). PGD and PGS Results came on 6/19: 3 healthy embryos (normal chromosomes and unaffected by my family's genetic disorder). FET #1: July 2013 Natural Cycle - Cancelled due to insufficient lining (only got to 7.5mm). FET #1.2: August 2013 - Medicated Cycle with Lupron & Estrogen Patches to build up lining. Single embryo transfer was 8/23. Beta #1: 240! Beta #2: 578! U/S on 9/19 at 6w4d: We saw the heart beating at 131bpm. Second U/S on 10/4 at 8w5d: We saw the heart beating at 178bpm. EDD 5/11/2014
    PAIF/SAIF/Everyone Welcome! 

• Options

They never told us a percentage of having healthy embryos.

We are definitely not trying again.I don't think I could handle doing all of that again with the possibility of nothing again. We are both content with things how they are.

Plus, my DS can be such a handful sometimes like today so, I am DEFINITELY ok with everything!  LOL

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"