3rd Trimester

Leg Cramps at Night...

Anyone else?? They are so painful! Getting up and walking seems to be the only thing that helps them go away, and walking is not what I'd like to be doing at 3am! I've tried stretching before bed...didn't work :( 

Re: Leg Cramps at Night...

• Charlie horses suck! Make sure to stay hydrated and eat a banana! Potassium helps.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• I had this happen to me every night few weeks ago, I eat a banana everyday and upped my water intake, and that has been helping me a lot, I don't get it as often any more.
  • Loading the player...
  • I find that on the days where I don't drink enough water I get them at night.  Hope you find a solution.  Those things hurt!!!!
  • I normally drink about a gallon of water a day. I guess I could always try to drink more. I'll just move the TV  and bed into the bathroom ;) I'll give the banana thing a whirl too. Thanks guys! 
  • Try the bananas and stretching your legs before bed. The stretching really helped me.
  • Bananas! I have to have one everyday or else I will pay for it at night.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had them really bad with my first pregnancy and eating at least 1 banana a day was what helped me.  I also heard that drinking milk works.  With this pregnancy, I haven't had 1 leg cramp, but I have been eating bananas pretty much since I got a BFP.  Good luck!!!!
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary image image image image
  • I've definitely had a few bouts with this fun symptom.  In addition to the bananas and water, I would also be sure to consider what kind of shoes you are wearing.  I had the most trouble with this a little earlier on (actually before the 3rd Tri) and I noticed it was happening when I would wear even a small heal.  Needless to say, I've been in flats ever since, because having leg cramps as my morning alarm clock was just not working for me.  Good luck, I hope they ease up for you.       

New Mommy since 4/3/13

• Also, don't point your toes. When you feel a cramp coming pull your foot up toward you, and that will usually stop it right away!
  • imagepukanecz:
    Also, don't point your toes. When you feel a cramp coming pull your foot up toward you, and that will usually stop it right away!

This! I just had them for a second time lat night, I swung my legs over the side of my bed, and with the sole of my foot flat on the floor put a lot of pressure on my feet and it went away almost instantly. I also feel like I didn't drink as much water as usual last night, so I wonder if that caused them.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My chiropractor and doula both recommended a magnesium supplement called Natural CALM.  Go out today and buy it.  You can find it at Whole Foods or on Amazon.  It's ah-ma-zing.  Basically, calcium causes your muscles to tighten up and magnesium causes those muscles to relax.  I've been using this stuff for 4 days and I wish I had bought it two weeks ago when I first started having leg cramps.  My achy/crampy legs have almost completely gone away and they only feel bad in the late evenings (which is when I take another round of the supplement.)  It's the best stuff.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagenomadgirl:
    My chiropractor and doula both recommended a magnesium supplement called Natural CALM.  Go out today and buy it.  You can find it at Whole Foods or on Amazon.  It's ah-ma-zing.  Basically, calcium causes your muscles to tighten up and magnesium causes those muscles to relax.  I've been using this stuff for 4 days and I wish I had bought it two weeks ago when I first started having leg cramps.  My achy/crampy legs have almost completely gone away and they only feel bad in the late evenings (which is when I take another round of the supplement.)  It's the best stuff.

I agree with this.  I use liquid Calcium-Magnesium.  Moms I know who have had cramping issues swear by it.  It doesn't taste bad at all. It comes in a lot of fruit flavors, but it looks really chalky and gross in the bottle, but don't let that intimidate you, it goes down really easy.  Any health food store will have it. 

photo bffbc5ae-9d71-4881-9c49-419ebb53d956_zps9ce18766.jpg BabyFruit Ticker
  • My dr said if I was taking prenatal vitamins then it shouldn't make a difference if I eat bananas but she suggested a warm bath before bed to relax the muscles and sleeping with a pillow between my legs
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"