1st Trimester

Deli Meat

I know the first time I was pregnant my Dr told me know to eat deli meat from a case- but that the pre-packed kind was okay. Does anyone know why? I catered a lunch for a board meeting at work this week and there is left overs that I really want to eat for lunch- but not if it is actually harmful. TIA!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Deli Meat

• Just eat it. You're more likely to get sick from cantelope, lettuce, or spinach.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The concern is listeria. My doctor told me that if I want to eat deli meat all I crave are sandwiches I can in moderation. I have been told to heat the meat first.

This article supports everything I've been told by my doctor.

https://americanpregnancy.org/pregnancycomplications/listeria.html

BFP #1 11/07/2012 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C 11/22/2012

BFP #2 02/05/2013 EDD 09/19/2013 Arrived via c-section 09/27/2013

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Listeriosis is caused by a type of bacteria called Listeria monocytogenes. Heating deli meats until steaming hot will kill the bacteria if it's present.

Also the Nitrates so you don't want to eat too much if  you do decide to eat them. 

This is my understanding: These are things that may not make you sick but could harm your fetus.

• I would think it has a lot to do with temperature. If deli meat is not stored correctly you can get sick.That goes with anyone though.

I honestly had not heard about it before until #3 this time. In fact with my 2nd I was a GM at Panera Bread and ate sandwiches/soups/salads all the time. I was super healthy.

I eat deli meat sandwiches once a week or so now- and only from places I trust. My Dr has not said to avoid it and so far everything with baby looks great.

• image*HiS ChAmAoLe GiRL*:
    The concern is listeria. My doctor told me that if I want to eat deli meat all I crave are sandwiches I can in moderation. I have been told to heat the meat first. This article supports everything I've been told by my doctor. https://americanpregnancy.org/pregnancycomplications/listeria.html

Except listeria isn't something moderation will help. Its a bacteria that is introduced, once, then makes you sick. Limiting your deli meat intake is good in regard to sodium, nitrates, etc, but won't help with you catching/not catching listeria. Like PP said, the last listeria outbreak linked to lunch meat was 15 years ago.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm sure what PP said about the last listeria outbreak might be true, but personally, if there's is any risk of having a miscarriage from eating infected deli meat, I would rather just avoid that risk altogether.  The same can be said for eating raw sushi.  Most likely nothing will happen, like PPs have said with them, but I don't want to risk it and can hold off on eating these things for a couple more months.

Or better yet, just heat the meat in the microwave or have paninis! Smile

• I've been told on here to avoid deli meat. I did research on it and it says to limit your intake. So I have Jimmy Johns once a week instead of once a day like I want it.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • The worry is listeria. However, you are more likely to get sick from spinach or cantaloupe than deli meat. If you are really worry than heat it up until it steams. 

The other issue is nitrates. You can get the nitrate free deli meat and bacon if you are worried about it.

I say eat the deli meat and pasteurized soft cheese people. You are pregnant, not made of glass.  

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• My OB said that I could eat deli meat as long as it wasn't green and fuzzy. Just use common sense and eat it in moderation. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"