3rd Trimester

tucks or just witch hazel?

wondering if I should buy those witch hazel pads (tucks) or just buy a bottle of witch hazel and pouring that directly on the pad? I asked my MW about this and she said none of that stuff was really necessary and it's just one of those "nice to have" things. Is it more for pain relief or does it actually speed healing?
TTC since May 2012; BFP July 31st, 2012; EDD April 13th, 2013 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary

Re: tucks or just witch hazel?

• I think it's more for pain relief. I bought some tucks yesterday. It was like 4 bucks for 100 pads. I can handle that!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I had a thrombosed hemorrhoid in 2nd tri and LIVED for Tucks pads. They are great for shrinking tissues and cooling for pain. For after birth, it's great to line your pads with Tucks pads. I also got a bottle of witch hazel. I saw a recipe for frozen with hazel pads that I plan to try 

Started TTC 2/2009
    Started fertility treatments 11/2010
    Ovarian dysfunction, LPD, male factor
    6 failed medicated IUI's
    Pregnant 5/2011 - Miscarriage at 6 weeks due to triploidy
    Decided to adopt - 6/2012
    SURPRISE! Pregnant without intervention - 7/2012 
    Sweet Baby James Born 3/2013
    Decided to be "One and Done"

....OR NOT.
    Pregnant 12/2018 despite birth control pills
    Here we go again...
    Due 8/26/19!
  • Loading the player...
  • Make sure where you delivery won't already provide those. My hospital gives both in the recovery rooms.

• I used Tucks pads last time, and bought some for this time as well. I don't know about healing, but it was soothing.
    "You get in the bowl." Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I am going to jump in and say: who cares if it speed healing? The pain relief is worth it!!  The tucks pads are really handy...I used them for wiping (sorry) and then would keep them on all the time.  They are pretty portable and you don't need to worry about how much to use.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I bought the pads and will do the same this time around. I feel like pouring it onto a pad it would just get absorbed and not do as much for you, but I've never tried so I have no clue.
  • Are you delivering at a hospital?  THey give you all that cr*p for free.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I bought both.  Cost was approximately $6 total.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • imagemrsf123:
    Are you delivering at a hospital?  THey give you all that cr*p for free.

yes, but I'm in Canada and when we did our hospital tour, there was no mention of it. Just pads and diapers. 

TTC since May 2012; BFP July 31st, 2012; EDD April 13th, 2013 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary
  • I used both the pads and a squirted itch hazel directly on the pad - I even put some with hazel pads in the freezer and they were heavenly with DD#1. It is more for pain relief - but really, who cares if it speeds things up or not? Pain relief is enough.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagemrsf123:

My hospital didn't provide Tucks pads or witch hazel. 

• Tucks are far more expensive for essentially the same product. I would buy a bottle of witch hazel and a package of those cotton rounds they sell near the Q-tips and cotton balls. 

Witch hazel is not technically a pain reliever, though the coolness of it might give relief. It actually is an astringent and it tightens the skin. So it's really helpful for shrinking hemorrhoids. Also great for the puffy under-eye area and to cleanse the face instead of soap (if you have sensitive skin). 

• Witch Hazel helps with itching also.  I would get the tucks witch hazel pads.  It is just easier than trying to maneuver extra things while going to the bathroom and they really are soothing.  I would think a pad would just absorb it.

The hospital may give you some to take home but I used them for like 2 weeks so I would buy some and keep them in each bathroom you are going to be using along with a squirt bottle, big pads, hydrocoritzone cream, and hemorrhoid cream.

When you start going to the bathroom again you just  squirt warm water on your vagina while peeing to prevent burning and to wash away pee/blood.  Then dab with toilet paper lightly to dry.

Layer in big girl panties your pad, then a few overlapping witch hazel tucks pad, squirt a thin line of hydrocortizone cream.  Add hemorrhoid cream to your butt as needed. Pull up your panties and relax! 

Natural M/c 12/13/08 at 8w5d 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Tucks And DERMOPLAST. That crap is a life saver!
  • imagemrsmcdonald:

imagemrsf123:

Mine didn't either.
  • image2013mommy:
    If you are having a hospital birth don't bother buying anything for PP because you will get it all there. I brought home a huge bag with tucks, pads, ice packs, Dermoplast, everything! If you are having a home birth I would recommend getting the tucks. They were really soothing to me but I don't know if they actually helped healing. Dermoplast is also amazing. I'm pretty sure you can get it OTC.nbsp;

Not everybody's hospital provides the same stuff....
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • imagejinnymb:
    Witch Hazel helps with itching also. nbsp;I would get the tucks witch hazel pads. nbsp;It is just easier than trying tonbsp;maneuver extra things while going to the bathroom and they really are soothing. nbsp;I would think a pad would just absorb it.The hospital may give you some to take home but I used them for like 2 weeks so I would buy some and keep them in each bathroom you are going to be using along with a squirt bottle, big pads, hydrocoritzone cream, and hemorrhoid cream.When you start going to the bathroom again you just nbsp;squirt warm water on your vagina while peeing to prevent burning and to wash away pee/blood. nbsp;Then dab with toilet paper lightly to dry.Layer in big girl panties your pad, then a few overlapping witch hazel tucks pad, squirt a thin line of hydrocortizone cream. nbsp;Add hemorrhoid cream to your butt as needed. Pull up your panties and relax!nbsp;

Thanks for the advice, but dang this has me scared!!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Tucks pads are a must. They're already pre-soaked in a jar ready to go. Keep them in the fridge so when you stick them on your pad it's even more soothing.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

• imagemrsmcdonald:

imagemrsf123:

Mine didn't either. They had some for me to use while I was there, but not to take home.

I bought the Tucks because we couldn't find just a bottle of witch hazel. I barely used them once I got home, though.

My friends raved about the Dermoblast (plast?) spray so I bought a bottle of that, too. HATED IT. Used it once and couldn't deal with the numbness. I've since learned of Earth Mama, Angel Baby New Mama Bottom Spray. I've bought a couple of bottles for friends, one of which had her son a couple of weeks ago. She said it was something short of amazing. If you can find it it might be worth a try.  

DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I used Tucks because that's what the hospital gave me.  I'd like to add that post-partum, "nice to have" and "necessary" are practically the same thing.  You never know what little thing is going to be the thing that saves your sanity!  I didn't even have tearing or hemorrhoids and I still consider Tucks to be a necessity.

IAmPregnant Ticker
  • I have heard that the tucks pads are awesome. going out to grab some today before we get too busy with our birth. Also have to pick up some last minute items for our hospital bag,,I am going to put a few in my bag as well just in case we actually do need them and they are not provided
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"