March 2013 Moms
Options

Scared Of Labor!!!

I am 39 weeks today. My baby is big he is measuring 8.5lbs as of yesterday. My doctor wants to induce me next Thursday if I have not gone into labor on my own because she doesn't want him to get to big. I am scared to death of being induced or actually giving birth for that matter. Why do people feel the need to share their horror stories with you when you are about to give birth?

Does anyone have good induction stories or tips to calm my nerves before this epic event :)

Re: Scared Of Labor!!!

• Options

I have good stories for both delivering a big baby and for an induction.  My second daughter was almost 10 lbs and labor was around 6 hours.  Less painful than my first for sure.  Your OB is jumping the gun a little I think.  They don't gain a whole lot of weight in those last couple of weeks.  So maybe you are looking at delivering a 9 pounder tops or an 8 pounder.  Both are doable and women do it every day. 

As for induction, it was with my 3rd baby but labor lasted a total of 4 hours and  I pushed once.  He was 9 lbs.

• Options

I have no idea why women feel the need to tell their birth horror stories. My DH gets so mad when he hears I happening. I just laugh at this point. I don't share the details of my DD's birth unless someone specifically asks. You will be fine! Our bodies are made to birth babies, it's not like any other pain. It's productive and good pain that means your body is working. You.will.be.fine! 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was induced with DS#1. He was 8#15oz. I didn't need cervidil because I was already 2cm dilated. They started my pitocin at 7, broke my water around 9, had him at 1231 after about 15 minutes of pushing. I didn't think it was bad at all. I will probably be induced again due to GD and I don't mind.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    You are not broken, your body is made to do this, just like all women.  I also remind myself that the male genitalia changes doubles in size quite frequently and without any problem and then goes back to normal, the female body is designed to do the same, just for a different reason.  Both of these mantras have helped ease my mind at various times.  
  • Options
    I don't understand people.  Why do I want hear your horror story when I am due in 5 days. Shut the heck up!!! Obviously, its going to hurt and be hard hence the term labor.  do people think that they are helping when they tell us these stories?  if they do then they really need a reality check because it does not help.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options

imageOmgzombies:
    I also remind myself that the male genitalia changes doubles in size quite frequently and without any problem and then goes back to normal,  

Oh. My. Gosh. I laughed so hard I think I might have peed a little. 

• Options
    I will be going in a 7pm on Tuesday to get induced bc my doctor thinks my baby is really big as well! I can update you on the story once I am all done : my doctor said I can be in labor for 23 days because im a ftm. I'm scared but I know it will all be worth it in th end :
  • Options

imagedaniliza:
    I will be going in a 7pm on Tuesday to get induced bc my doctor thinks my baby is really big as well! I can update you on the story once I am all done : my doctor said I can be in labor for 23 days because im a ftm. I'm scared but I know it will all be worth it in th end :

Really hoping you meant 23 hours.... 

• Options
    Haha I meant 23 days
  • Options
    Ah it keeps changing my post.. 2 to 3 days!
  • Options

Fwiw, my baby was measuring 8lbs on ultrasounds. I was induced and he was only 6lbs, so they can be wrong.

my induction went good, nothing to be afraid of (more so than labour anyways). You'll be surprised, you can do it, but I will confess to completely freaking out during the process. 

*** DS born February 21, 2013 - Toronto, Canada  ***
    imageimage
  • Options
    I was induced and it went really well, started at 840 am and started having regular contractions right away but they weren't bad and they let me stand next to the bed and sit in a chair to find comfy positions. They started getting more painful at 5 pm so I asked for the epidural. Waited 30 min for them to come and another twenty for them to get it in and it started working. It was amazing! When it wore off I had two hours of painful contractions while I waited for them to come fix it but when they did it was awesome. I was in active labor 5 cm and fully effaced at 12am. By 240 it was time to push and she was out at 251am. I didn't feel anything when I was pushing! Don't worry you will be fine. The epidural really works well!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I wasn't induced, but I had a very long but amazing labor and delivery experience.  Was it tough, sure.  Was the epi wonderful, sure was :)  It is seriously an indescribable feeling- ignore the horror stories.  I'm seriously excited to give birth again.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagemcooper014:
    I was induced and it went really well, started at 840 am and started having regular contractions right away but they weren't bad and they let me stand next to the bed and sit in a chair to find comfy positions. They started getting more painful at 5 pm so I asked for the epidural. Waited 30 min for them to come and another twenty for them to get it in and it started working. It was amazing! When it wore off I had two hours of painful contractions while I waited for them to come fix it but when they did it was awesome. I was in active labor 5 cm and fully effaced at 12am. By 240 it was time to push and she was out at 251am. I didn't feel anything when I was pushing! Don't worry you will be fine. The epidural really works well!

This exactly. I wanted to do a drug-free birth, but the epidural helped me get at least a vaginal birth when dilation stalled at 5cm. Also, they can turn the epi down towards the end so you can feel the pushing.  AND, you truly do not remember the pain the second the baby comes out. It's not even really pain, because you know that the results are so major! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Don't let people get you down. I was induced at 39 weeks with my first and only in labor for 5 hours and didnt make a peep the entire time except perhaps a little grunt while pushing. Baby came out with a little help an all was well. Just stay calm and try to focus on getting LO out. I felt no pain until late that night because the nurses forgot to check on me and give me pain meds. Lol. You will do great!
  • Options
    I was induced at 39 weeks with my son at it was fine. I was in labor for 28 hours, but aside from that all went well. I was 0cm when I went in, do considering that I can't complain much.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers ____________________________________________________________________________ *4 angel babies in heaven*__ *DX with Progesterone defficiency June 2010* *Haylie Marie & Makenzie Shayanne adopted November 2010* **SURPRISE! !ALL NATURAL MIRACLE BFP!!12/26/10 (MERRY CHRISTMAS)** ***Alexander Robert born 8/20/11, 11:01pm, 8lbs. 2oz. 20.5inches*** **BFP 06/26/2012.. Baby B #2 Due 04/01/2013**
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"