October 2012 Moms

Working moms... how are you doing?

I have been back to work full time since February 19th; I am absolutely exhausted! There isn't enough coffee in the world to keep me awake and I am definitely showing that I am tired because I have had a few people ask if everything is okay. DS used to sleep through the night but the past few weeks he has been getting up at 3am for a bottle. I have tried to let him CIO and we try to give him his paci but he wants the bottle How are you doing it?! What keeps you awake at work?
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Working moms... how are you doing?

• ugh I am in the same place. He was up like 4 times last night! I am SO tired today...and I have a gross cold. Bleh. 

Also I miss him terribly

this is a huge adjustment. Luckily he seems to be fine at daycare. 

I need to go to bed A LOT earlier than I used to...also coffee coffee coffee.  

• I started working again in mid november, but started going back into the office the first week of February. 

I'm exhausted. Things weren't too bad before the 4 month wakeful stage. She's finally coming out of that and I'm finally getting some, but never enough, sleep. DH will get up with her for one of the motn feedings, thats a huge help. 

Coffee and pepsi keep me awake at work! 

• Loading the player...
  • I've been back since Jan 2nd and I'm still exhausted. I just power through.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I have been back to work since mid Dec & am exhausted- honestly I don't know how I function most days.  DD wakes multiple times durning the night... not to feed just because I end up putting her in bed with us because if I don't lay down I will collapse.  I need to try something quick cause its really taking a toll on my emotionally & physically, I feel like it affects her as well. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have been back since last Thurs.  So far the work part is going pretty well: happy to be learning, great colleagues, etc. but pumping is really annoying.  I keep trying to fit in three pumping sessions during my 9.5 hour day, but have only been able to do two due to calls, meetings, lunches and other things I can't put off.  The pumping room has a "no cell phone" policy, which I understand since it isn't relaxing for other women to listen to my side of a conference call but it prevents me from getting my pumping time in.  Output seems to be fine so far, but we'll see.

L is sleeping well between 7pm and 12pm/2amish.  Unfortunately that means as soon as I get home, walk the dog and change into breastfeeding-friendly clothes it is time to swaddle him and put him to bed. I finally told the nanny just to put his jammies on and get him ready for me because I hate having him meltdown because he is hungry/tired when I am trying to do it all.  Also after I feed him once in MOTN he has trouble sleeping alone.  He is usually back in his crib for another one hour and then spends the rest of the night in our bed.  I can't go to bed super early because my clients expect me to be available on Blackberry.

Basically my solution is a Dunkin Donuts iced mocha latte on the really awful days!  Sugar + caffeine = yummy.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am more tired than before I had kids, but way less tired than when I was pregnant. I don't have an easy baby so being at work is generally no more tiring than being with her though of course being with her is more enjoyable normally. Her sleep went to crap when I went back to work in December. It just has become normal to me. Honestly one night bottle would be NBD for me, it was more weeks of eating 3 times during the night that were bad. Yet, I normally find by 10am I am fine. Good luck, I am sure you will quickly find your own groove.
    DD 9/15/12
  • I've been back since the end of November and I feel like we have a good routine. Every now and then I have a day where I am exhausted. I still wish that I could be at home and not work. I don't think that feeling is going to go away for me, but there isn't much I can do about it until H graduates in December.
  • I went back January 2.  It's been hard since she doesn't want to sleep till 11:30-12:00 and i have to be at work by 7:30 to get my students off the bus when they arrive.  Since going back to work I have started drinking coffee.  Without the coffee I probably couldn't make it through the day.  The first couple of weeks before starting coffee I was having trouble staying awake when working one on one.
    Lilypie - Personal picture    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers  Lilypie - Personal picture    
  • Im reading these posts in bed. Should be sleeping. Sooo tired but been doing it since Jan 7. My DH just asked if I was tired this week. Captain Oblivious?
  • I went back to work Jan 31. I am lucky that DD2 is a good sleeper because I am still exhausted by the end of the week, so I have no idea how you ladies that are getting up at night are functioning. I am not a napper and so far since I have been back I have felt that I MUST have a nap on Saturday or Sunday in order to catch up. It is so much harder this time with 2. I feel like I have no quality time with the kids and we are all exhausted and tired by the time we get home. I have been getting up at 4:30 am to work out because there is no way I will do it after work and I still have 20-30 lbs to loose.

Last week it had become so bad we were really considering taking some drastic financial steps so I could quit my job. I like my job and honestly don't know that I could stay at home with kids all day, so that would be a tough decision for me. Then my FIL that is keeping DD2 twice a week volunteered to keep her at our house and pick up DD1 from preschool. That was a huge blessing for us, as it takes me an hour and a half to get home on the days he keeps her because I have to go out of the way to get DD1 in time then backtrack to his place then DD1 doesn't want to leave. I am hoping this helps us a lot. I think it will.

OP- Do you think he is really hungry when he is waking up? Do you think introducing solids would help? I know there are many different opinions on when is right for that. DD2 had a cold for 2 weeks and was waking up every couple of hours so I know how exhausting it is to go back to getting up after you have been used to the sleep. Hope you get some rest soon!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • LO is awake every 2 hours throughout the night to eat...oye. Been back to work for 2 months now and I don't know why I dont just pass out when I get home from work. As soon as I get home my husband hands LO to me and I pretty much have her to myself until I go to sleep around 9pm. I have to be to work at 7am. Make sure you are eating plenty and eating healthy. I notice when I eat more junk then I have much less energy. I try to keep away from coffee (as much as I miss it) because I am breastfeeding. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"