3rd Trimester

To Be Fully Prepared...

For the unexpected... I've been one of those worry warts about my water breaking while in bed or on the couch or somewhere where the surface would need to be cleaned thoroughly... Where would you take couch cushions or how would you clean couch cushions and/or carpet if it's soiled with am fluid?? I know I'm ridiculous.. Please humor me :)
Been married since 2009.
Unicornuate Uterus (yes I menstruate glitter)
Several MCs
DD born 2013 (our miracle "you can't have babies" baby!)

Re: To Be Fully Prepared...

• When your water breaks, it's not going to be as if you just popped a water balloon. It's usually just a slow leak and in the event that you get a gush, it will be absorbed into your clothes before it hits whatever you're sitting on.
    TTC since May 2012; BFP July 31st, 2012; EDD April 13th, 2013 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary
  • I was a worry wart about this as well with my first. So I sat on a towel on the couch, in the car and put one folded up under my sheets in bed for the last few weeks of my pregnancy.

Most women will tell you that your chances of your water breaking are slim and that it won't be a huge gush so don't worry about it. But for me that was not the case. My water broke while I was lying in bed and I heard/felt a huge pop. Almost instantly there was a major gush of water that kept going for a couple minutes. I was able to roll out of bed without getting too much fluid on the bed, but definitely got "water" on the floor in my bedroom on my way to the toilet.

Anyways, I guess my point is to prepare for it to happen so you don't have to worry about cleaning it out of your couch, etc.  

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I'd clean the couch like I would if an animal or kid pee'd on it. Take the cases off the couch cushions, wash and dry them (tumble/air/very low dry) and set the cushions out to dry. Then put the case back on the cushion after they are dry. I do not expect you to get fluid everywhere so I do not think the cushions on the back rest or arm rests would need to be cleaned, lol.

• imageRussianMommy:
    When your water breaks, it's not going to be as if you just popped a water balloon. It's usually just a slow leak and in the event that you get a gush, it will be absorbed into your clothes before it hits whatever you're sitting on.

Yeah not really. OP mine did break in a giant gush (that in no way was absorbed by my clothing) but weirdly, I heard/felt the pop while I was sitting on the couch and I made it to our  bathroom around the corner before it all gushed out. Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about it. For one your water breaking on its own is not SUPER likely, but most of the time you should be able to roll out/get up from the couch or bed before it's too bad. I'd just put a couple towels under your bedsheets just in case.

• imageClandestineX:
    I'd clean the couch like I would if an animal or kid pee'd on it. Take the cases off the couch cushions, wash and dry them (tumble/air/very low dry) and set the cushions out to dry. Then put the case back on the cushion after they are dry. I do not expect you to get fluid everywhere so I do not think the cushions on the back rest or arm rests would need to be cleaned, lol.

And put them out in the sun to dry :) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • First of all, I want to say that you're NOT ridiculous because, if you are, then I am too! lol I was thinking about the very same thing earlier today. I haven't been able to sleep in bed for the last 5 nights and have been sleeping on the couch. I'm nervous that my water might break while I'm sleeping so I decided earlier today that I'm going to put a few towels underneath me at night.

Secondly, I would do exactly what Clandestine suggested if it DOES happen...

imageClandestineX:
    I'd clean the couch like I would if an animal or kid pee'd on it. Take the cases off the couch cushions, wash and dry them (tumble/air/very low dry) and set the cushions out to dry. Then put the case back on the cushion after they are dry. I do not expect you to get fluid everywhere so I do not think the cushions on the back rest or arm rests would need to be cleaned, lol.
    Happily married to my Snorkelbutt - 07/31/10

BFP #1 09/02/11  M/C 09/12/11 8w6days
    BFP #2 07/18/12 Baby S born on his EDD 03/23/13

SS - age 12...SD - age 8...DS - 13 mos.
  • imageRussianMommy:
    When your water breaks, it's not going to be as if you just popped a water balloon. It's usually just a slow leak and in the event that you get a gush, it will be absorbed into your clothes before it hits whatever you're sitting on.

I was lying down when my broke.  My socks were completely soaked, the bed was soaked, and it got on the wall across from me.  

OP, I just put everything in the washing machine.  I had a chuck pad on the bed that more or less prevented it from getting on the mattress.  

BFP#1 "Watermelon" born 3/2011
    BFP#2 "Pumpkin" 7/14/12 ~ EDD 3/23/13 ~ Natural M/C 8/3/12 @ 7 weeks
    BFP#3 "Pineapple"  born 4/2013
    BFP#4 "Grapefruit" EDD 3/29/16
  • imageRussianMommy:

Um, not true. Ask me how I know this. 

"I wanted you more than you'll ever know, so I sent love to follow wherever you go."

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

image Follow Me on Pinterest

Ginny DX 21-Hydroxylase Deficiency Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia

Charlie DX Specific Antibody Deficiency & ASD

• Being a FTM I'm not going to pretend like I know what it's going to be like, but I can tell you that I'm already sleeping on a mattress protector, I have folded (heavy) towels in both cars, and on the couch where I usually sit. It doesn't look good, but I'm prepared...

Also, I usually wear panty liners (the long, super absorbant ones) whenever I leave the house for more than an hour or so. It helps with discharge, sure, but I figure if I start leaking, it'll give me time to go the bathroom, put a pad on, and go home. 

• I sat on towels/blankets on the couch for the last 1-2 weeks of my pregnancy and slept on top of a towel (despite having a mattress protector on the bed) just in case. I also kept a spare towel in my car and some thick pads in my purse.

Of course, my water never broke. Ha. My m/w broke it for me at 9-10 cm right before it was time to push DS out. 

natural m/c 7.1.10 :|: sticky baby 4.25.11 :|: #2 due 5.18.13 BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was in DH car when it happened.  Thank goodness he has seat covers because my water gushed (several times).  I then leaked all the way through the house to the bathroom.  DH was stuck cleaning up the trail I left while I quickly showered.  Just get some of those disposable wee wee pads or put towels down.  I plan on putting something on our bed once I get closer this time.  We have wood floors and leather couch so I'm not worried.  Yes there are ways to clean couch cushions... but my guess is you won't be getting around to cleaning them until you come home from the hospital and that's not exactly what I would want to come home to. 

FYI - get some of those super thick maxi pads (you'll need them for after anyway) for the ride to the hospital.  Your water doesn't break just once.... but several times.  Even though I showered and changed before we left the house, I was soaked again by the time we reached the hospital. 

• I'm taking a childbirth education class and the instructor had a really good suggestion. She advised that once you're close to your EDD (or before if there is any indication you'll go early) to go buy a cheapo plastic shower curtain liner to put under your sheets or mattress protector. And the same for your couch if you happen to have a couch cover you could put over it. 

Then if your water does break on either of those items, it will be caught before it hits the fabric material. 

• I suggest what others have but I would also use a trick that I always do of if we have a spill of some sort on something that can't be washed. First blot the area with paper towel to get as much moisture out as you can. Then sprinkle the area with baby powder. I like to then cover it with more paper towel and something heavy-but it's not neccessary. The baby powder draws out excess moisture and then you just vaccum it up. Also if possiable, put it out in the sun because sunshine acts as a natural "bleach."
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"