November 2012 Moms

Mommas who formula feed

What formula are you currently using and how does it work for your little one?

We first started off with Enfamil Infant. N was so gassy and fussy, so we moved to Gentlease. It wasn't so bad, it definetly relieved some of his gas. Now, becaue he is such an eater, we were constantly running to the store to get more. Financially, we decided to go with Sam's Club Gentle brand because it was a better bargain. The gas came back in full force! So...it was suggested by people to use Gerber. Went with the that and it solved all of his gas issues...BUT he has been spitting up so bad with it. Poor guy :( He doesn't seem to be upset but I cannot tell you how many outfits we go through within a day. I talked with his pedi and he suggested trying Similac. I hate the thought of changing again! What do you ladies think? Ever had this issue?

Lilypie First Birthday tickers 46808 845377924360 2036704678 n

WIMG950372 1

Re: Mommas who formula feed

• imagekiraliz2:
    If you are thinking of going with Similac, why not just switch back to Gentlease? Aren't they about the same cost wise?

Yeah. If Gentlease was ok, just go back to that. It's the same cost as Similac. Or try Target brand Gentlease... it's the purple one. That's what we use.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I guess what I should have added is that he was still pretty gassy and fussy...only seemed to help a bit. Per his pedi he suggested a different brand all together. I type so fast that I forget to add things.

WIMG950372 1

• Loading the player...
  • imagekiraliz2:
    Something that really helped H when he was super gassy was a probiotic. I give it to him once a day mixed in with his formula. I use Bio Gaia, which my pedi recommended.

I was actually going to ask about that. Thanks.

WIMG950372 1

• When we were supplementing we started with Enfamil Newborn, but he was also really gassy.  We switched to Gentlease when we began to EFF and it's helped lots.  I can empathize with the cost - I buy the Value Refill packs whenever they are on sale at the grocery or target, and use a manufacturers coupon on top of that to keep the cost as low as possible. 

I hope you find just the right fit for your LO!! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We switched from enfamil premium to target brand premium. He's doing fine on it. And so is my pocketbook :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We are on similac advance and have been since he started EFF after the mastitis nightmare of the century. He does fine on it spits up a bit, maybe once a day. But not very gassy or anything. He eats a lot though and it's definitely hefty on the wallet. Is their a store brand? If so, what's the difference and whyyyyy does it cost so much less? It scares me.
  • imagesara785:
    imagekiraliz2:
    If you are thinking of going with Similac, why not just switch back to Gentlease? Aren't they about the same cost wise?
    Yeah. If Gentlease was ok, just go back to that. It's the same cost as Similac. Or try Target brand Gentlease... it's the purple one. That's what we use.

Target brand Gental is what we used after Gentalease.  Cost alone of the name brand was killing us.  Target brand is significantly cheaper and I think it works better.

Live life to the fullest and love like you've never been hurt or heartbroken. image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I use enfamil infant. My dd is fine with it. Normal gas and normal spit up.
    I tried cvs brand and she was miserable so I went right back to enfamil. The cost hurts and I would love to try the target brand but Im so scared to mess with her system again.
  • We used Gentlease after going through all of the free samples we received when I was pregnant. After enrolling with WIC, we had to switch to Similac due to availability through their program. We now use Similac Sensitive. I hate how foamy it is, but I hated the clumpiness of Gentlease even more.
  • Yesterday we bought the Kirkland brand formula from Costco and I am doing half Gentlease and half Kirkland.  I plan to eventually go all Kirkland but if not, going half expensive and half cheap will still help out financially.
  • We also use Similac Sensitve and had the foamy issue! I found it helped A TON to put the water in first then the formula and shake the bottle side to side slowly and swirl it a bit to get it mixed up. NOT UP AND DOWN which is what we were doing. I also heat his bottles now, which I didn't before. The foam is no longer an issue!
    Anniversary 63308_4713538843914_2118219572_n_zpsf72f5d2a-1_zps83c050a8 380802_543382679024176_456373758_n_zps2a88ead2 68131_4879153264171_1489478128_n_zps1ce33c85 20130115_61_zps5abc4fe5 photo 20130115_61_zps5abc4fe5.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageBrianeMC:
    We also use Similac Sensitve and had the foamy issue! I found it helped A TON to put the water in first then the formula and shake the bottle side to side slowly and swirl it a bit to get it mixed up. NOT UP AND DOWN which is what we were doing. I also heat his bottles now, which I didn't before. The foam is no longer an issue!

Sorry meant to quote Shaunnna on this!

Anniversary 63308_4713538843914_2118219572_n_zpsf72f5d2a-1_zps83c050a8 380802_543382679024176_456373758_n_zps2a88ead2 68131_4879153264171_1489478128_n_zps1ce33c85 20130115_61_zps5abc4fe5 photo 20130115_61_zps5abc4fe5.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If the Gerber works then I say stick to that. That's what we used after a lot of switches. Z use to spit up quite a bit as well at first. What I've done for that is to kind of split up the feed. He'll drink 6 ounces at a time but then he'll spit up. So I started doing 4 ounces and then 2 ounces a half hour after or sometimes an hour after. My mom watches him through the day and that's what she does too. When he gets the 6 ounces in one feeding he'll spit up. We started out with Similac and he had horrible gas issues. Pretty much anything with full milk caused gas. We also had some gas issue with Gerber (just way less) but we just use gas drops when he gets fussy. It also helps to keep the frothing down when we make his bottle. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • imageaimee413:
    I use enfamil infant. My dd is fine with it. Normal gas and normal spit up. I tried cvs brand and she was miserable so I went right back to enfamil. The cost hurts and I would love to try the target brand but Im so scared to mess with her system again.

Just do a slow switch. We went from enfamil infant to target infant premium. I only did two half and half bottles but K has a greedy, iron stomach. The ingredients are the same, just more cost effective. Do some research on it!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We just switched from Enfamil newborn to infant. G seems to be doing fine with it.
    Untitled Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've been using Similac Advance: Sensitive since Zane started on formula. I didn't want to have to go through formula and worry about upset tummy/gas, so I started off with the Sensitive, which says it's for gassiness. Zane hasn't had gas whatsoever since he started this formula. I'm happy with it.
    Nov 2012 BMB January Siggy Challenge
    Those Presedential Fitness Tests Were Torture

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"