February 2013 Moms

Tell me wonderful things! (in L&D...)

I'm currently at L&D awaiting cervidil. Yes, the ticker is correct - I am 42 weeks today. If I don't magically go into labor tonight, they'll start the pitocin tomorrow morning. 

Excuse the whine, but I am not having a very good experience so far. I am alone (my SO has flaked for the final time, at the very last minute - and no, I don't want to talk about it, lol), the nurses are lacking a bit in the bedside manner department, and after one nurse dug around for about 5 minutes trying to put my hep lock in, another nurse came in and placed it in a pretty uncomfortable spot, which will make laboring on my hands and knees difficult, or impossible. I've made the mistake of asking 3 nurses about their experiences with successful inductions, and while I understand not wanting to make empty promises, two out of three have told me that there must be something wrong with my body for not going into labor yet. *facepalm* 

So, February mamas, would you please send me the most wonderful, happiest, most beautiful thoughts and labor dust carried upon wings of natural-birth angels? Or tell me about how perfectly, smoothly, and wonderfully inductions from start-to-finish can go? Anecdotes are welcome!

I may request happy c-section stories later. But please, let's not use the C-word right now. I am trying to remain as relaxed as possible! I'm also having a few slightly painful contractions verrry far apart, and I'm finally dilated to a whole half centimeter! So... there's that. lol.

Thanks in advance, ladies! I'm about to go lurk at all your newborn pics. Wink 

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Tell me wonderful things! (in L&D...)

• Good luck, sending happy and good thoughts your way!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • You can do it! Request a new nurse if you get more attitude. There is nothing wrong with going into labor at 42 weeks!
    Hang in there. It is hard but soooooooo worth it in the end... which is close!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Best of luck! I've been induced twice now and both were successful vaginal deliveries. Sending good thoughts your way!

DS1: Quinn - 10.22.10 and DS2: Cole - 01.18.13

• imageericalee27:
    Best of luck! I've been induced twice now and both were successful vaginal deliveries. Sending good thoughts your way!

I love you. Did you have to get Cervidil first, or were you already dilating? Apparently, everyone's all up in arms that I'm not dilating, lol. I think they said I'm about 25% effaced... Jokes.  

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thanks, Geeks and marshmallows! The end is in sight! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageDC2London:
    You can do this! I know you can!!  And think of it this way: one way or another, you will soon be holding your baby.

That's what I'm trying to concentrate on. The monitors are annoying, but everyone keeps telling me he looks perfect on paper Smile Yay for perfect babies! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My vbac was induced after my water broke.  It went very smoothly, I had five hours of no progress with pitocin, and then dilated complete in less than half an hour.  It was a breeze, I didn't even break a sweat.  So, IMO, induction isn't a scary word.

my mom was induced with my brother at 42 weeks, with no progress, and was able to have him vaginally.

sorry about your SO, and that your nurses sucked.  Mine did with dd, but hopefully the shift change will make a big difference. I'll be thinking of you tonight!  Labor dust coming your way. 

• One other thing people told me when I was facing induction but wanted to go without the epi was that once you do dilate you can request they turn down the pit... if they've given it to you in the first place. Just wanted to pass that along!
  • Thanks, Holly! I believe everything will work out in the end, and that's like, half the battle, right? :)

I always appreciate the words of encouragement! <3  Gotta love the February board... :) 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Good luck! You will forget all about the SO/nurse drama when you finally see your baby boy for a while at least! And all this waiting will feel like nothing!
  • imagemarshmallows:
    One other thing people told me when I was facing induction but wanted to go without the epi was that once you do dilate you can request they turn down the pit... if they've given it to you in the first place. Just wanted to pass that along!

I will definitely keep this in mind - thanks! The nurses may suck a little, but my doctor is fabulous and pro-natural birth. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm giving you the mental equivalent of a foot rub right now to help you relax!

There is nothing wrong with your body! Indifferent Officially, you are only "overdue" tomorrow. But I am sure it has been long enough to where your son is ready to come out with a little push (or two).

Just relax, visualize positive outcomes, and I'm sure you'll get to go pain-med free like you've wanted. But if not an epi (or other pain med) can help your body to move along if you are too tense to progress.

Try to focus on holding your new baby in your arms! I'll be sending off some happy supportive vibes to you and Baby Runaway tonight!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My induction with LO2 went perfectly and I'm sure yours will too!  Hang in there!  When they do start pit, try to be up and moving as much as possible!  I was told by my doula and OB that most people thin out before they start dilating too.  Can you call a friend or relative to come sit with you?  If there's anyone available, you should call them.  Good luck!  You can do this Mama!!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Dont worry. I was induced at 36 weeks and it went wonderfully. I actually liked being in a hospital monitored my entire labor, it made me feel safe. And even though I was in labor for awhile I only pushed for twenty minutes!!!! Think positive, inductions can be great and soon you'll be holding your baby!!
  • You can do this!  I have had two successful inductions now, this latest one at 41 weeks- I had a 9 lb, 12 oz baby and didn't even tear!  If the nurses are not great I would request to speak to the charge nurse and ask for a new nurse- you deserve to have a great experience.  Oh, and don't feel bad about the IV.  The idiot that put mine in made me look like a junkie.  Its 12 days later and I am still all bruised up where they put the iV in!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You can do it! In the grand scheme of life, this will be a very short event, no matter how it goes (that's what I told myself and it kind of worked!).

You will meet your darling baby soon. Hang in there and think happy thoughts! 

• imageRunaway22:

imageericalee27:
    Best of luck! I've been induced twice now and both were successful vaginal deliveries. Sending good thoughts your way!

I love you. Did you have to get Cervidil first, or were you already dilating? Apparently, everyone's all up in arms that I'm not dilating, lol. I think they said I'm about 25% effaced... Jokes.  

I had miso (forgot the full name) but same kind of deal -- it was a cervix softener.  I was barely dilated with both of them - I was induced early once at 35w,4d and once at 37w, due to pre-e both times.  Even though my body wasn't really ready, it responded well!  With #2, I only needed the cervix softener to get things going -- no pit at all!

Hope things are going well!!! 

DS1: Quinn - 10.22.10 and DS2: Cole - 01.18.13

• traiatraia member
    Hi ive been lurking over here, just reading all of the mamas birth stories and all. And i must say im still in shock that you havent had your baby yet. But i wish you the best of luck tomorrow and i hope you get to meet your bundle of joy tomorrow.
  • Good luck mama!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Baby BROTHER is on the way! ~ EDD 6/12/2015
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I was induced a week ago tonight and LO was born one day shy of 42 weeks.  I didn't wind up needing pitocin, the cervadil and the other 6-hour gel (whatever it's called) did the trick.  anyways, it was a great experience once everything got jump-started.  I'm sending you lots of love and positive thoughts and hope that your labour goes well!  Soon you'll be holding your LO too ;)

• I was induced with both of my children and both were successful vaginal births.

Last Wed morning I went to the hospital because of contractions but once they check me I was sent home because I was not dilated at all. My MW then scheduled me for induction that night even with the other 2 MWs and the OB on staff told her to tell me to wait a few more days because the 3 of them felt it would not work. I came back that night for my cervidel with still no dilation or effacement but when it was removed 12 hours later I was 5cm and 90% effaced.

You can do this :)

• I can promise you that no matter how it goes down, seeing your sweet baby for the first time will be like nothing else. Sending positive labor vibes your way!

I like cookies.

• Induced at 41 weeks and 1 day. Was less than 2cm dilated when they started the Cervidil. Doc broke my water at 9am and I had a successful vaginal birth six hours later. Easy breezy, and no one ever mentioned the C word at all. Good luck!
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • I had Cervadil placed at 41 weeks with everyone telling me that Pitocin would be definite in the morning. The Cervadil was placed a little before 7 pm and they removed it at about 10:30 pm because my contractions were only a couple of minutes apart. By 7:50 am, I was pushing and he was here at 8:20. I'm told it's rare that the Cervadil alone will put you into labor, but I know my body was in the brink anyway. It may not go this way for you, but know that induction can be VERY successful! You can do it!

• Good luck! And even if you do end up with the c-word, I promise it's not that bad.

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• Good luck!  I'm hoping you're holding a precious little baby in your arms by now.

• Emergency CS just before 1 am, cuz baby's heart rate dropped to the 50's and 60's during frequent, intense contrax. He came out 100% perfect, and has a textbook latch. Longer version to come :)

I'm in looove! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Congratulations!! I'm sorry it wasn't the experience you were hoping for, but I'm so glad you and the baby are doing well!! Can't wait to see a picture!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageMary6170:
    Congratulations!! I'm sorry it wasn't the experience you were hoping for, but I'm so glad you and the baby are doing well!! Can't wait to see a picture!

Ditto!

• Sending lots of positive thoughts your way! You can do this! I had a very positive induction with my first!
  • imageRunaway22:

Emergency CS just before 1 am, cuz baby's heart rate dropped to the 50's and 60's during frequent, intense contrax. He came out 100% perfect, and has a textbook latch. Longer version to come :)

I'm in looove! 

Sorry, I posted before I read all the comments. Congrats :) Can't wait to see pics! 

• My induction went flawlessly. It took less than 8 hours, and I only pushed for 30 minutes (And I am a FTM). YOU CAN DO THIS! Hang in there, mama. Just remember at the end of all of this, you will have an amazingly perfect little baby in your arms!! :)

ETA: Whoops, disregard the above. I posted before I saw your update. CONGRATS!! You are a mom! :D Enjoy every minute of those newborn snuggles :)

K & C | 9.17.10
    "With You By My Side, I Will Never Be Lost"
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

CafeMom Tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"