April 2013 Moms

Teachers! Check in

I've noticed there's a bunch of teachers on this board, and I am one as well. How are you faring?

I noticed today how slowly I am walking when we all headed to a pep fest! Also got bumped into three times today. My legs swell up if I stand too much, so I find myself teaching from behind my desk with my feet up on a stool... I have senior high so it's not too bad. I really feel for those of you who teach younger grades and/or have other kids at home!

Part of me hopes to make it 4 days past my due date so I won't have to come back till September. The other part thinks this baby could come any day and I would be just fine with it!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Teachers! Check in

• SO tired! I teach high school and I've gotten to the point where I'm doing a lot of teaching seated...which isn't how I like to teach. I'm taking the remainder of the year off and am just taking unpaid leave beyond my sick days, but I can't decide if I should just work until the baby comes or if I should set the day the Friday before my due date (a Sunday). I'm worried the baby will hold out a week or more and I'll have used those sick days for nothing. April break is the week after the week after my due date (sorry, that sounds funny - I'm due the Sunday before our final week of school before break). So, I'd be missing a maximum of a week without LO but I only have 15 sick days. I'm also still confused about why I don't qualify for any disability pay since my midwife filled out paperwork saying I can't work until 6 weeks pp and I only have 3 weeks of sick time (anyone know the answer to this? I'm going to have to bug HR again).

Teaching is such an on your feet profession and there is no such thing as just sitting and relaxing. Always busy!! 

• I know all schools are different based on bargaining, so besides HR you could ask your union's members rights rep. At my school, we can only use 30 sick days plus any vacation days we have. After that, we are unpaid, plus we have to pay for our own insurance, which is 266 a day. I'd love to stay home but can't justify the cost when my mom will happily watch our baby for those days at the end of the year.

• Loading the player...
  • I teach 1st grade. I am thankful for read alouds where I can sit or guided reading groups where I can sit.  I got observed today by my principal and felt like I had to stand the whole time.  I was so thankful when he left!

I hope I can make it to Spring Break which is the first week in April.  I'm due the 15th of April, but would like to have her during Spring Break and just be done with the school year!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageMKC12/22/2006:
    I know all schools are different based on bargaining, so besides HR you could ask your union's members rights rep. At my school, we can only use 30 sick days plus any vacation days we have. After that, we are unpaid, plus we have to pay for our own insurance, which is 266 a day. I'd love to stay home but can't justify the cost when my mom will happily watch our baby for those days at the end of the year.

I can't believe you have to pay out of pocket for your health insurance! That seems insane to me. 

• I teach 3rd grade, and today was the first day of state assessments. It is so hard! My feet are swelling and I am so tired. I am due April 26, but hoping the doctor will give me bed rest a week before due date. It will be hard to make 2 weeks of sub plans(I am required to do) if I don't know when I will be gone. I am only missing 3-4 weeks of school at the end, which is nice. Looking forward to my time at home with LO. 
  • imageFrecklesInside:

imageMKC12/22/2006:
    I know all schools are different based on bargaining, so besides HR you could ask your union's members rights rep. At my school, we can only use 30 sick days plus any vacation days we have. After that, we are unpaid, plus we have to pay for our own insurance, which is 266 a day. I'd love to stay home but can't justify the cost when my mom will happily watch our baby for those days at the end of the year.

I can't believe you have to pay out of pocket for your health insurance! That seems insane to me. 

I know, and the last school I worked at had a much better salary and health plan. I'm happy with where we live now, but there are definitely things I miss about my last teaching job!

• I teach high school.  I'm exhausted and can't stand being on my feet.  My ankles are swelling and my hips hurt.  I waddle everywhere and avoid the crowded hallways.  HR will not let me start my leave until I pop or OB puts me on bedrest.  I just submitted my FMLA paperwork today and I'm hoping all goes through...its impossible to get HR on the phone and they've quit responding to my e-mails.  grrr.  The next couple days should be snow days and then just 3 weeks left until spring break.  I'm due on the 3/31 and I'm not returning after spring break, even if LO decides to stay in a little longer.  
    image BabyFetus Ticker
  • jln14jln14 member
    I teach hs as well and have been sitting more than I like. I get to use as much sick time as I have avccumulate (45 days) so as long as I have LO after April 1, I won't be back until August!!
  • I teach pull-out special ed so I'm teaching individual students or small groups in my office nearly all day, so I'm actually sitting most of the day.  I have an extra move n sit cushion that I've been using for myself.  Today it was trying to stay awake while babysitting kids taking state tests.  My main problem is going between the teacher's lounge on the first floor for filtered water and my office on the 3rd floor.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • 5th grade teacher here.  Last week was conferences and soooo exhausting. No swelling, but I do find myself sitting a bit more. I have a wonderful class this year so that really helps.  I am hoping to work up until the baby comes (Due April 18th). If I do it leaves me 5 days at the end of the year unpaid (3 of which are unpaid). We also can only use 30 sick days for maternity leave.  

Right now with the help of our union I am currently battling our new principal.  He expects me to write a daily lesson plan for all 30 days that I will be on leave.  Daily meaning as I would if I were gone for one day and had a guest teacher.  Also, I have to e-mail the plans weekly and meet with my long term sub weekly to make sure all is going well.  Our new principal is young and clueless. Thankfully the union has really been there to help me out.

Good luck ladies.  Not to much longer. 

• My last day before leave is Friday! I teach first grade and I am really starting to suffer. Our spring break is next week so my leave officially starts March 18. I'm lucky to have accumulated a lot of sick and personal days, I will have a tiny bit if time unpaid before summer starts. 

It's very strange getting everything in order, but I love my long term sub and know she will be amazing. I can't wait to sleep in for the last few times and keep my sore feet up a little! Good luck ladies! 

• imagekdebeck:

5th grade teacher here.  Last week was conferences and soooo exhausting. No swelling, but I do find myself sitting a bit more. I have a wonderful class this year so that really helps.  I am hoping to work up until the baby comes (Due April 18th). If I do it leaves me 5 days at the end of the year unpaid (3 of which are unpaid). We also can only use 30 sick days for maternity leave.  

Right now with the help of our union I am currently battling our new principal.  He expects me to write a daily lesson plan for all 30 days that I will be on leave.  Daily meaning as I would if I were gone for one day and had a guest teacher.  Also, I have to e-mail the plans weekly and meet with my long term sub weekly to make sure all is going well.  Our new principal is young and clueless. Thankfully the union has really been there to help me out.

Oh heck no! That is what long term substitutes are PAID to do while you use your sick days or even take unpaid leave. A good amount of my leave will be unpaid and there is no way I would work for free! You have to pay me something if I have to do the work for that time...I would fight this so hard!! That is CRAZY! Good luck! 

• I teach 3rd grade. It is going so much better than I expected to be at this point. No swelling yet thankfully but I am sitting down more than normal. I still feel good and have energy so my plan is to teach until she decides to come. Next week is Spring Break for us and after that there are 12 weeks of school, so if she came early I would not have to go back until the fall under FMLA. She is due April 4th and I have enough sick days to take the rest of the year without any unpaid days. The goal is as few, if any, unpaid days as possible because I would be responsible for the district portion of my health insurance for those days!

Best of luck to all of you, we are almost there! 

BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • imagekdebeck:
    5th grade teacher here. nbsp;Last week was conferences and soooo exhausting. No swelling, but I do find myself sitting a bit more. I have a wonderful class this year so that really helps. nbsp;I am hoping to work up until the baby comes Due April 18th. If I do it leaves me 5 days at the end of the year unpaid 3 of which are unpaid. We also can only use 30 sick days for maternity leave. nbsp;nbsp;Right now with the help of our union I am currently battling our new principal. nbsp;He expects me to write a daily lesson plan for all 30 days that I will be on leave. nbsp;Daily meaning as I would if I were gone for one day and had a guest teacher. nbsp;Also, I have to email the plans weekly and meet with my long term sub weekly to make sure all is going well. nbsp;Our new principal is young and clueless. Thankfully the union has really been there to help me out.nbsp;Good luck ladies. nbsp;Not to much longer.nbsp;

That is crazy! I have everything ready for my sub, but no one is telling me to do that. At my old school, people on maternity leave weren't even allowed in the office. I can't remember the reasoning. He can't make you work on your time off! Sorry you are dealing with that.

• I also teach high school and what I find is that by my 7th hour prep all I want to do is sit down and sleep!
  • I teach 3rd grade, and am just feeling uncomfortable- totally still able to do my job, but not as easily- I find myself sitting a LOT more.

Reading all your stories about struggles with FMLA, and sub plans makes me feel better. I feel like for a profession that should be centered around kids, they sure make it hard to have one! ugh!

• I teach 7-10th grades. I've pulled a chair up next to the board and have my desk at the back of the class. That way I always have a place to rest as I move around the class. :D

My students have been really sweet and helpful, but because it's such a small school I've had some of them in class for a few years now. Even students who are not in my class mostly know me by name. That helps a lot with not getting bumped into and pushed past.

We have spring break the last week of March and I'm due the first week of April, so even if I'm not there yet, I'm not going back after break. 

My entire leave is unpaid. I don't even get sick days. :(  

image image imageimage
  • imagetmrchi:

I teach pull-out special ed so I'm teaching individual students or small groups in my office nearly all day, so I'm actually sitting most of the day.  I have an extra move n sit cushion that I've been using for myself.  Today it was trying to stay awake while babysitting kids taking state tests.  My main problem is going between the teacher's lounge on the first floor for filtered water and my office on the 3rd floor.

Wow, you teach all pull-out? Part of me is really jealous of that (I am CD specialized and I live in a world of EBD). I "co-teach" LA/Soc stud but that mainly means I support two block classes. I'm up down and all around but thankfully I haven't had any problems yet with this pregnancy. They are trying to bring back multiple students who are currently in alternative programs and have hit teachers in the past. I think I am going to just be done the Friday before my due date - I have no interest in dealing with that when I am 40+ weeks pregnant. 3 more weeks of school!! Thank goodness for Spring Break being before my leave so I still get the week off!! 

• I'm exhausted. It doesn't help that my students and the school are in the words of my principal "Off the chain." They are consistently fighting and running around among other things. I do a lot if my teaching from a chair or we sit in a circle for our lessons. I teach exceptional Ed so thankfully I have a smaller class only 5 but at the beginning of the school year I had 15 students and two grades and never got a break so I think I am just worn out all around.

I need it to be April ASAP. I do plan on going back to school after the birth though so that they will put me back on the payroll for the Summer.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I teach an integrated 3 year old classroom. I have a really tough group of kids this year and some very challenging parents. There is no sitting and if I do, it's on the floor, which is not helping my tailbone pain.

My principal still has not lined up a sub for my leave so that is starting to feel a bit stressful. Our special Ed dept is being audited by the state this month so they will be spending quite a bit of time in our school interviewing and pulling files. Our school was also selected in the civil rights audit going on in our town now so they will also be touring our school. On top of that, we are undergoing our accreditation year for the NAEYC. Each teacher is responsible for creating a classroom portfolio which is a ridiculous amount of work. 

Then it is home to chase my other little munchkin around. She has about 6 to 7 weeks left as an only child so we are spending lots of time playing outside, reading books, swimming and just being together. 

I feel really bad that I am starting to count down the weeks/days. I do plan on working until I have LO.

• I teach high school in at an alternative school. Mainly ED population who have been removed from their high schools due to behavior issues. I'm emotionally and physically drained by the end of the day. I have 2 more full weeks before I get induced. Then I'm off until our last 2 weeks.
  • I teach 2nd grade and am absolutely exhausted by the end of the school day!  I look forward to the time in our day for read-aloud and guided reading groups, so that I can sit down!  My plan is to work as long as possible ... I am due on April 3rd, which is a Wednesday, so we will see how long I make it!  Four weeks from tomorrow. 

Also, because of my blood pressure, I have to go in twice a week for for NST's.  Added fun.

• I teach third grade. I'm still doing okay, but things are getting harder. I sit more often. I am due the week after state testing so it'll be interesting to see if I make it to the test. My room is really small so I feel like I am always bumping the kids with my stomach. The front desk laughs because all I have to do is tell her it's me calling and she immediately sends someone to cover my room so I can go to the bathroom.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageWIbdgrwife:
    imagetmrchi:

I teach pull-out special ed so I'm teaching individual students or small groups in my office nearly all day, so I'm actually sitting most of the day.  I have an extra move n sit cushion that I've been using for myself.  Today it was trying to stay awake while babysitting kids taking state tests.  My main problem is going between the teacher's lounge on the first floor for filtered water and my office on the 3rd floor.

Wow, you teach all pull-out? Part of me is really jealous of that (I am CD specialized and I live in a world of EBD). I "co-teach" LA/Soc stud but that mainly means I support two block classes. I'm up down and all around but thankfully I haven't had any problems yet with this pregnancy. They are trying to bring back multiple students who are currently in alternative programs and have hit teachers in the past. I think I am going to just be done the Friday before my due date - I have no interest in dealing with that when I am 40+ weeks pregnant. 3 more weeks of school!! Thank goodness for Spring Break being before my leave so I still get the week off!! 

Don't be jealous.  Our pull-out program is Reading Mastery from the 70s.  You have to follow the script exactly, and snap to signal the student to answer.  I feel like I am a dog trainer, not a reading teacher.  I hate it.  I went to this school district because they did co-teaching.  New administrators did away with it a few years ago, but I'm too scared to give up my tenure to job search.  I live for the two periods I spend in the regular classroom.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagekdebeck:

5th grade teacher here.  Last week was conferences and soooo exhausting. No swelling, but I do find myself sitting a bit more. I have a wonderful class this year so that really helps.  I am hoping to work up until the baby comes (Due April 18th). If I do it leaves me 5 days at the end of the year unpaid (3 of which are unpaid). We also can only use 30 sick days for maternity leave.  

That is insane.  I have to turn in my keys and my laptop when I leave.  Substitutes are supposed to be able to handle things while you are gone. I don't always love the union, but thank god they are there for things like that!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagemarleneandjeremy:

I teach 3rd grade. It is going so much better than I expected to be at this point. No swelling yet thankfully but I am sitting down more than normal. I still feel good and have energy so my plan is to teach until she decides to come. Next week is Spring Break for us and after that there are 12 weeks of school, so if she came early I would not have to go back until the fall under FMLA. She is due April 4th and I have enough sick days to take the rest of the year without any unpaid days. The goal is as few, if any, unpaid days as possible because I would be responsible for the district portion of my health insurance for those days!

Best of luck to all of you, we are almost there! 

Your district sounds the same as mine (I'm in Humble ISD). 

I teach 7th grade, and I also plan to teach "until my water breaks" has been my running joke.  I'm due April 11th.   I won't be going back until next school year.  I have 14 sick/personal days, and I'll get paid 6 weeks of disability.  The rest will be unpaid.  I'm pretty sure after the 14 days of leave I'm responsible for the district portion of my insurance as well.  Ugh.

• @TexasAggie,

Nice to see a fellow Aggie on the board! Yes, I am in Houston ISD and definitely have a "working till my water breaks" mentality. Most of my coworkers teach till the end and then next thing you hear they went home and had a baby! The last co worker to deliver did have her water break at school and sat in the front office waiting for her husband to come pick her up!

BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Marlene - most of my coworkers were put on bedrest before they made it to the end.   The last lady to go out on maternity leave is back already, she had her baby New years eve but was on bed rest for 9 weeks prior to that.  Another coworker had her baby the first week of school but was put on rest for a week prior.  I'm hoping to break that trend!  

What hospital are you delivering at?  I'm delivering at Kingwood. 

• imagetmrchi:
    imageWIbdgrwife:
    imagetmrchi:

Don't be jealous.  Our pull-out program is Reading Mastery from the 70s.  You have to follow the script exactly, and snap to signal the student to answer.  I feel like I am a dog trainer, not a reading teacher.  I hate it.  I went to this school district because they did co-teaching.  New administrators did away with it a few years ago, but I'm too scared to give up my tenure to job search.  I live for the two periods I spend in the regular classroom.

Oh that does sound miserable. I have one pull-out functional math class and I love it; however, we don't have a specific curriculum so we have control over what and how we teach. I am hoping to get into a high school for next year and work in the transitional programs but we'll see if I'm so lucky! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"