October 2012 Moms

Prilosec/Omep. users

We are starting compounded Prilosec today (finally!) and I'm wondering how long until I might see the effects? I know that it will take at least a few days. I'm just so desperate for my little guy to be comfortable when eating and to stop having to feed him in his sleep to get bottles down him! Also, does anyone use Prilosec and Zantac? If so, when do you give each medicine?
M/C #1 - BFP-1/16/08 Dx Blighted Ovum-2/4/08 D&C-2/8/08 @ 7 weeks M/C #2 - BFP-3/31/08 Early M/C-4/10/08 @ 5 weeks M/C #3 - BFP-6/31/08 Early M/C-7/13/08 @ 5.5 weeks Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Prilosec/Omep. users

• Yay!  I'm so glad you are getting LO on it.  I just hope it helps fast now!  I started Blake on a Tuesday night.  Wednesday was still horrible and so was Thursday morning, but by Thursday afternoon, he finally started eating without so much of a fight.  I would say by that Saturday he was eating really well again.  I think it took a whole week for him to really feel all better though.  His esophagus must have been really raw because of the reflux though.  His pedi said it would take anywhere from 3-7 days and that was right!  In the mean time, feed him still while sleepy and he'll slowly realize that it doesn't hurt that much anymore.  Are you going to use both Prilosec and Zantac?  I would assume you use one in the morning and one at night.  We just give Prilosec at 6am and 6pm.  I hope he's feeling better real soon!

DS born 9/25/12
    DS #2 due 6/13/16
  • Is Blake's flavored? Ours is unflavored and I just tasted a tiny bit of it and it is AWFUL tasting. I'm dreading trying to give it to him tomorrow morning! :(
    M/C #1 - BFP-1/16/08 Dx Blighted Ovum-2/4/08 D&C-2/8/08 @ 7 weeks M/C #2 - BFP-3/31/08 Early M/C-4/10/08 @ 5 weeks M/C #3 - BFP-6/31/08 Early M/C-7/13/08 @ 5.5 weeks Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • My LO has been on prilosec from the beginning and it took a bit to get the right dosage for his weight, etc., but he does really well on it! Still of course spits up, but is generally a more happy eater. He doesn't seem to be in pain anymore. Good luck! :) 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • We're using Prevacid which worked wonders but I just wanted to say good luck and I hope this does the trick!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagesdb421:
    Is Blake's flavored? Ours is unflavored and I just tasted a tiny bit of it and it is AWFUL tasting. I'm dreading trying to give it to him tomorrow morning! :(

No, his isn't flavored.  I know it has to taste awful because of the face he makes every time.  He has spit out quite a few doses, but I try to just shoot it into the side of his mouth and then massage his cheek to get him to swallow.  If he doesn't get full doses for a couple times, he definitely gets fussier and I can tell the reflux hurts more.  I hope it went well for you this morning.  I dread giving it to him every single day.  I hate doing it to him, but it makes him happier in the long run.

DS born 9/25/12
    DS #2 due 6/13/16
  • I saw a huge difference within 2 or 3 days of starting Prilosec. My LO is on both Prilosec and Zantac. P-2.5 ml/once daily Z-1.5 ml/twice daily. Prilosec and first dose of zantac in the morning, usually between 630 and 830, a half hour before bottle. Then the second dose of zantac is a half hour before last bottle, usually between 730 and 930. Doctor wants me to start weaning from zantac so I plan to eliminate the morning dose of zantac within the next few days. Then in another two weeks, eliminate the second dose so she's just on Prilosec .

ETA totally wasn't thinking. LO is on Axid, not Zantac. She HATED the taste of Zantac, tried getting it flavored, couldn't stand it. But she likes the Axid. It's in the same family of Axid. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"